Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Hello Mikerodrig27,

I have built the BA-3 as a preamp, BA2018, ACP+, B1 Korg Nutube,...
Waynes linestage (BA2018) sounds fantastic - as a preamp as well as a headphoneamp ( I have used Toshiba TTA/TTC 004 in the outputstage).
It sounds very controlled and clear/accurate. Very low noise and easy to adjust (offset at output).
The BA-3 as a preamp can be an 'animal'. Very good bass - but also good mid and highs. Very high drive capabilities. My BA-3 has slightly higher
railvoltages around +-30 V DC. You can adjust the BA-3 frontend with P3 to a specific H2/H3 - ratio.
The BA-3 frontend is a little bit more difficult to adjust - biasing procedure.
If you are looking for a new project - built it.
But ACP+ and B1 Korg NUTUBE are tough contenders!

Cheers
Dirk :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Mike,

yes, I would say that. But don't underestimate the capabilities of the BA-3-pre. They are both excellent preamps - with different 'characters'.

I prefer the BA-3-pre if I need a lot of voltage swing and gain. And for me it is the 'bass-machine'. I have used the Fairchild Mosfets (FQP3N30/FQP3P20).

Cheers
Dirk

I have built WLS 2018, ACP+, and BA-3. Only the BA-3 has a case, a remote controlled volume and display, and a remote controlled input selector board. In short, after living with the three preamps, I chose to invest more in the BA-3 (for now).
To me, the biggest advantage of the BA-3 is its ability to adjust H2/H3 to suit your system. At ~98-99 dB speakers and also having an F4, the drive of the BA-3 is a plus (my PSU is about +-30).
I also like my other two preamps, but will not go so far to say that one edges the other in terms of "refinement". The WLS 2018 in my system is so clean and detailed, the ACP+ as close to a tube preamp (if you plot the profile of the ACP+ it is dominant H2) with bass and the BA-3 is a combination of both if you adjust the profile.
IMG_2023.jpeg
IMG_1658.jpeg
45EEFB5E-3C58-488D-9A1E-8A5F2302A10A_1_105_c.jpeg

IMG_2410.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2410.jpeg
    IMG_2410.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 84
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Very cool! I love how simple that BA-3 board is compared to the BA2018. That was the difficult part about the BA2018 is that it has a lot of small parts and then SMDs. Makes it a challenging build for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience.

I have Clarity cap CSA caps in my main speakers. They sound nice. I just ordered 6 stealth caps 10uf from the swap meet section which should be in the mail soon. I am going to try them in a bunch of things. I see 10uf on the schematic for the BA-3. I am finishing up a BOSOZ most likely tonight so the bench will be open pretty soon for something new. I think the BA-3 is on the short list. Thanks!

Welcome! You will have fun with the BA-3. Even at P3 ref position (mid-position of the pot), with P1 and P2 set for at least 950 mv bias on R10/R11 and +- 50 mV or lower dc offset, its sounds great and you will feel its "potential". Listen for a week and adjust to 1V bias. Then test your self control on how long you can avoid fiddling with P3. Enjoy!

Joined 2001
Paid Member
Latest and last rebuild (hopefully) of my BA 2018. I believe I have exorcised the noise demons once and for all. Calibrated ear-on-speaker test tells me it's quieter than a gnat farting on Pluto. New attitude, focus, determination and patience to get the most out of this gain stage. Each rail, of each channel, gets it's own xformer winding, diode bridge (11DQ10's), pi filter with common mode chokes and Nichicon UKZ Type 3 Super Through caps (1000uF X2), and a tweaked Superreg (WJ's latest improved voltage reference changes). Split bobbin transformers and CMC's inspired by Gary Galo's old Linear Audio articles. No shared ground other than the ground lift circuit at the chassis ground next to IEC inlet. Placed a header that can be easily shorted at the input RCA's to give the option to share both channel grounds there, or leave them separate (open right now). Humanity's oldest question... "do I tie the grounds together in a true dual mono setup? If so, where exactly?". Speaking of ground, PS ground stays completely separate until finally meeting up at the client (gain stage), at a busy star ground there, per Mr. Didden's teachings. Remote sense wire from the Superregs is twisted and screened Mogami balanced interconnect cable. Wima film cap rail decouplers (.1uF) were removed from the client and replaced with 10uF/100V Nichicon Muse UKZ's. Converted to large heat sinked alternate output devices and associated changes. Proud papa bias obviously but sounding fantastic and keeping me up way too late on these worknights, a good sign....

Attachments

• latest ba2018.jpg
    latest ba2018.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 240
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Maybe, maybe not. I had PS voltage at the outputs on mine. The issue was a leg of a SMD JFET wasn't making the best connection.

Do you have a picture of the board?

Trace each leg of the SMD's to the next solder point. You shouldn't have to work hard to make a connection. Use a good magnifying glass if or macro on your camera with good lighting to inspect if needed.

Another thing you can do is use isopropyl alcohol to (above 90%) to clean any flux ect. from around the JFETS. I literally scrubbed mine with a tooth brush and flooded it a couple of times. Not sure if that is the best practice but it did make the amp dead silent after.

A flux pen helps for reflowing joints if needed.

I built Wayne's BA2018 last year and it exceeded my expectations. I was wondering if anyone has compared its sound to the Doug Self Linear Audio preamp (my PCB says v.2.1b). If the Self preamp isn't a lot better-sounding, I'll probably hold off indefinitely building it.
I have both, and I agree that the BA2018 also exceeded my expectations also. That said I did not do a head to head comparison between them on the same system. The Doug Self is very nice and the fact that it has build in tone controls and balance makes it more versatile for more applications. But I'd have to say I think that the BA 2018 sounds cleaner/ more transparent. If it had a balance and tone controls it would be the bomb. That said the BA3 FE is also fantastic. It's great to have worthy choices.

Thanks, that's an excellent response in a number of ways. ;) And I had already suspected that it's really hard to beat the audio quality of Wayne's preamp, hence my query.

I have all three boards for the Self pre, so I'm wondering if I can cobble together a Frankenstein's monster using the BA2018 for basic signal-amplifying and also the switching capabilities of the Self "KAD switched five input IO" board. I guess it comes down to PS compatibility (separate PSU for both?). Hmm . . .

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks, that's an excellent response in a number of ways. ;) And I had already suspected that it's really hard to beat the audio quality of Wayne's preamp, hence my query.

I have all three boards for the Self pre, so I'm wondering if I can cobble together a Frankenstein's monster using the BA2018 for basic signal-amplifying and also the switching capabilities of the Self "KAD switched five input IO" board. I guess it comes down to PS compatibility (separate PSU for both?). Hmm . . .
I built them both and they are in regular rotation in my rack. They have different “sonic signatures”, both of which I like very much. As was pointed out, the Huff/Self pre has a lot of features already engineered in that you would have to develop yourself if you wanted them on the BA2018. But that simplicity is some of the charm with the straight forward BA2018. Why not build them both? Hearing and understanding each design philosophy is kind of a magical thing. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 7330606A-7005-4487-861F-2D96FE02A5E1.jpeg
    7330606A-7005-4487-861F-2D96FE02A5E1.jpeg
    380.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 8FB14A44-AF7E-4DB0-9E4A-F0F9D1A552C4.jpeg
    8FB14A44-AF7E-4DB0-9E4A-F0F9D1A552C4.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 202
Oh, I will build the Self preamp, but I have other projects that have a higher priority, including electronic projects that are not audio-related (especially working through Learning Art of Electronics). I was just curious if the Self preamp was a "must do now" project or not. But, yeah, the Self preamp seems like a more-than-worthwhile project, especially since I've already bought the PCBs. I don't want to get too off topic, so I must reiterate that the BA2018 preamp is amazing; certainly it has surpassed my expectations.

Wow, your builds are spectacular! Where did you get the panels engraved? And what about those fancy knobs?!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Oh, I will build the Self preamp, but I have other projects that have a higher priority, including electronic projects that are not audio-related (especially working through Learning Art of Electronics). I was just curious if the Self preamp was a "must do now" project or not. But, yeah, the Self preamp seems like a more-than-worthwhile project, especially since I've already bought the PCBs. I don't want to get too off topic, so I must reiterate that the BA2018 preamp is amazing; certainly it has surpassed my expectations.

Wow, your builds are spectacular! Where did you get the panels engraved? And what about those fancy knobs?!
The BA2018 certainly is amazing! That’s the pre I’ve been listening to lately. I designed the front and rear panels in front panel designer (it’s a free download from the front panel express) and ordered the chassis with all the machine work, anodizing and printing from the diyaudio store. The knobs are also from the diyaudio store. That Horowitz/Hill book is a nice light read, isn’t it? 🤪

I hadn't realized that the DIYaudiostore had that much capability to engrave panels (via Bologna, Italy?). Thanks for enlightening me. Yeah, AoE is heavy going for me. Learning AoE is the lab manual, and is more hands on than AoE, which is more of reference work, IMO (still essential, though).

I only did that once. The multi day agony of that experience, convinced me that a low priced "tabletop drill press" from Amazon, would save me so much time and prevent so much misery, that it was worth far more than the USD 120 selling price. I've never regretted the purchase.
Did you purchase a Wen? Maybe the 8"? I'm tired of cockeyed results.