Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Giving out the Gerber fab data is giving the design away for free. That was not Wayne’s intention. As they say, pay the piper. You can always design your own, the schematic is public domain. Credit goes to Wayne and Scott.

This is all fine . I dont have a problem with this not being an open project but I didn't know and so i asked. I have plenty of projects from both 'sides' of the DIY scene.....gerbers available....or gerbers private. I totally understand.
Indeed credit where it is due.

Hum might have many causes. To rule out the JFETs, measure R1 and R2 and their equivalent voltage drops on the other channel to get four readings. Also note how stable those readings are. If they are dissimilar or unstable, you still have JFET issues. If stable and alike (around 3mA give or take), proceed to wiring. Offset drift at the outputs should be no more than +/- 0,1mV read rapidly, and +/-1 mV read over time (after equilibrium and in case), IMOE.

In general I like to have absolutely none of the signal grounds attached to chassis, as a starting point. I have only 1 - one - gnd cable going to chassis, and that is PSU gnd, and it is not directly connected to the chassis, but through a ground loop breaker. The audio gnds join hands at the PSU gnd. Dead silent on first go. 6L6 posted a hand written schem in this thread and I followed it.

Of course, what works will vary from build to buld, and attenuators for example may have different needs.

But as a general rule, never connect signal/audio gnds to chassis, and absolutely never directly. If you have to, something is most often amiss. Audio/signal gnd and chassis gnd are not the same!

I think I've got it all solved. R1 on both boards is the same. R2 is off by between 2mV and 4 mV between channels. Fixed the ground issue. Sturgill Simpson is on the turntable right now and he sounds great.

Thanks Andy, and 6L6 for your wisdom, tips and tricks. These forums are a real treasure for hobbyists like me who don't have the deep background that so many of you do. I appreciate the shared interest and knowledge.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thank you for that. I think I may give it a shot.

If you look around in the forums, you will find several threads (or posts) about how to get good results. (One tip was to mount a metal-plate on the side you‘re working on, as a „mask“, or guide. I went without…)
Also, instead of drilling dozens of holes and filing along, you could start with bigger holes and insert a fretsaw (the hole as big as possible so that you can start sawing as close to the edge as possible…)
Have fun!

Is their a way to get more gain out of the BA2018 I have the bigger outputs ?

You running it into F4+horns?

Wayne described this in the early days of this thread. Should be possible to search it up. A couple of changed resistor values and you are there. But it wil not provide the swing needed to bring the F4 to full output without other mods, such as higher voltage rails and so on. But with horns I doubt you need to take the F4 to full swing.

Choky knows the answer, it is on his tongue. He just wants you to work for the answer. The question is interrupting him watching reruns of Eurovision song contest and World Idol 2002.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I didn't grasp "I have bigger outputs"

was it about optional bigger output transistors or what?

anyway , gain of Wayne's little Wonder is set with ratio of R16/R17, ref to schm in post #1

leave R17 as is, increase R16

do not go at more than 10x ratio ( more than 100K )

circuit is capable to cope , but rails must go up and few other things, if one is wanting greater output swing than now is possible

if going for more than 47K, C1 needs to be decrerased for same ratio as R16 is increased

There it is!

I personally gave up efforts to increase swing. I built to spec and it sounds wonderful as is with my BA-3.

I think Zoe meant the optional output transistors with more bias, as specced by Wayne. Anyways, using those instead of the small ones do not affect gain as far as I can tell. It is round about 12db +/- either way.

I would like to get more gain for watching movies. I built this from diy kit from the diy store. Standard build from kit. I wanted to see if there are some resistors I could change to get a little more gain. I know I could get the transformers to get 6db more gain but I dont have the room in the box. power supply is at 17.5 volts.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
how's that you don't have enough signal for full blast of F5?

F5 gain is (per book) 15db (5.6V/V)

which means - needs 2V51rms for full blast

meaning - nowadays sources (2Vrms) almost capable for full tilt, so if you introduce Wayne's (as is ) in between ....... it must be enough

so - what eeeeny source are you using?

asking simply trying to cover possibility that you are not in trouble with F5 power ...... what speaker you are driving with F5?

There is usually a lower limit before "import duties" are applied. I do not have the values for the UK, but for the EU, you do not pay anything below EUR 22 (~ USD 25), from EUR 22 onwards VAT needs to be paid, and from EUR 150, additional import taxes need to be paid, which are just a few % on electronic components.

Since you need to pay VAT anyway on anything you buy in country, I do not see where the issue is ;)

There is usually a lower limit before "import duties" are applied. I do not have the values for the UK, but for the EU, you do not pay anything below EUR 22 (~ USD 25), from EUR 22 onwards VAT needs to be paid, and from EUR 150, additional import taxes need to be paid, which are just a few % on electronic components.

Since you need to pay VAT anyway on anything you buy in country, I do not see where the issue is ;)

I'm afraid this changes 1 July. As of then you will pay always VAT no matter what the price is.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
And the Royal Mail will add their £8 for handling an import.

Wayne, I wish I was capable but alas I'm fairly green to all this. Thankyou for the design though.

And it would seem I cant buy the boards from the store anyway due to a Brexit issue. Well I could for a cool mil.!

Luckily a member has offered me a spare pair of his early pink boards here in the UK. Happy days.

Attachments

• 20210620_123300.jpg
    20210620_123300.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 387