Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Big transistors drive headphones nicely. Everything sounds the same.

Andy, if MyLeftEar doesn’t have some, I have transistors.

Thanks, all of you!

I have a plan with Myleftear right now, but if his workshop for some reason burns down or endures a burglary before come Tuesday, I’ll let you know.

Then I have only one concern:

My transistors for the almost finished channel, now has transistors all from the same reels.

If I get the ones from leftear, one side will have transistors from different reels. This is because I gather he as just as many parts as I lack. Is that an issue?

I am not talking about the importance of matching, I know that is not vital in this circuit. But in general it seems most people, also using the kits from 6L6, use transistors from the same reel and so they are likely to be alike.

There were tens of thousands of these transistors in stock when I ordered in October. I was surprised to find lead times on them now, but there we are.

Cheers,
Andreas

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
If I get the ones from leftear ...

If...

image-2021-04-03-13:52:55-511.jpg

[emoji41][emoji6]

PM me your adress and I‘ll send it, possibly monday...
Happy easter
David

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it.

As I neared completion, I discovered that the shopping list used from this thread, lacked 4 transistors to complete the small output stage version. I lack two 992s and 2 1845s to finish the preamp.

And... both Mouser and Digikey are sold out.

Anyone by any chance have some leftover transistors to send me?

I should obviously have double checked... but here I am.

Regards,
Andy

I have lots of these. But I am halfway around the globe.

So the first channel is fired up, could’t wait for leftears parts to arrive and did have enough parts for one side. And after some mismounting, pulling and resoldering, it look quite allright.

Offset also zeroed, hovering +/- 3mVdc in a drafty cold garage workshop. But seems very temperature sensitive, kinda like the BA-3, if not as touchy.

Would some TO-92 heatsinks on the bipolars benefit this circuit? They cost a penny, but not super expensive at approx 25 dollars for 20 pieces.

Here: 575200B00000G Aavid | Mouser Norway

Worth it? Or just be patient and adjust offset for lid on room temp operation? I think I know the answer that will come, but some experiences are valued.

Cheers,
Andreas

Last edited:
Good to hear. Thank you, and good morning to you too! Also I did not let it get to equilibrium. Guess What I am really trying to do is find out if it works. Had some mishaps, you see, but gonna run a square wave through and see if all is good. Also gonna heat up the workshop and leave the circuit on for a while and see what happens. Don’t get me wrong: it zeroes, but if I blow on the parts offset drifts quite heavily. Perfectly normal I guess, and I see from other posts on the subject that this is normal also for the WLS.

I’ll drop the heatsinks for now, put it in a case once finished, do final adjustments in a normal living room, don’t worry and be happy! =)

BTW: those caps in the output section, do they take care of residual DC like in the BA-3? Or is it fired straight down to the poweramp?

Regards,
Andreas

Good morning Andreas,

My WLS is very stable. I think it has to be in a case. No windblows over the
acive components helps.
My experience is - more stable than the BA-3 preamp Better said - not so much or less DC-offset- fluctuation at output..

Enjoy the easter weekend
Dirk

Your thoughts on what a good enough offset on the WLS is, are also appreciated. Though I guess, as always, you have achieved unobtanium values for a sloppy greedy boy with so little time that mistakes happen all the time :D