Valve DAC from Linear Audio volume 13

@MarcelvdG & nautiboy
Can be the last firmware release by Dom for Amanero for DSD?

combo384
CPLD_1081_DSDSWAPPED
firmware_2006be10

I don't know Felipe, it's a while since I used an Amanero board, but the header Marcel incorporated onto the DSD-only board is to the Amanero pin-out config so I imagine it would work with his PCB. I'm planning to use a Beaglebone Botic based input using ppy's software and isolator/reclocker, which uses the same header config.

Ray

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I don't know Felipe, it's a while since I used an Amanero board, but the header Marcel incorporated onto the DSD-only board is to the Amanero pin-out config so I imagine it would work with his PCB. I'm planning to use a Beaglebone Botic based input using ppy's software and isolator/reclocker, which uses the same header config.

Ray

I guess there is not other arguably reason Ray. Do you know if ppy's isolator/reclocker can fit NDK NZ2520SDA oscillators from Lorien's GB NDK NZ2520SDA oscillators group buy?

Felipe

@nautibuoy

perhaps, with Marcel´s permission, a new board(s) for the DSD-only Valve DAC, but not interested into make a GB or financial interest. Today, I2S frontend, DAC, Voltage Reference, PSU and universal reconstruction filter (B3, B3 Lundahl and B5) schematics into Eagle (could be directly imported into KiCAD). Most components SMD.

For the moment only Marcel´s I2S frontend: it would be nice to have more info about your setup (with links) so more variant should be possible.

JP

...it would be nice to have more info about your setup (with links) so more variant should be possible.

Hi JP.

Your development sounds very interesting, I'll be watching with interest. I presume you're planning to build a Valve DAC?

I guess you're aware that Dan and I have placed an order to have some DSD-only Valve DAC PCBs fabricated using Marcel's board design and I was thinking that it will be useful for your exercise to see how our builds work out, after all, as of today, the DAC only exists on paper.

I think it will a at least a couple of weeks before the boards get delivered and then starts the long process of assembling them - not looking forward to all that smd hand-soldering! I think Dan has most of the parts already whereas I'm still putting an order together for the smd parts.

What else did you want to know about my setup?

This week I'm planning to put together some PCB layouts for the filter section - unless you've already have some gerbers for the filter schematics Marcel posted?

Ray

Hello Marcel,

thank you for prompt answer, but my question was not clear enough, sorry.

Refering to the DSD-only variant, I2S logic generates only two differential clocks, CLKP/N and CLK5P/N. This two differential lines are to route to two different R and L DAC. If I´m routing a PC mainboard I would use special clock distribution IC (IDT or others).

JP

If the question is why I didn't use a special clock distribution IC, the main reason is that I didn't know they exist. I'm an analogue-mixed signal IC designer who sometimes plays with FPGA boards in his spare time, so I never route any PC mainboards. Besides, I tried to stay close to the original valve DAC, which also has shared clocks for left and right.

Browsing the IDT website, I get the impression that almost all of their clock buffers are for 3.3 V or less and that the few types that can handle 5 V are on lifebuy, so about to be taken out of production. Still, for good switching of the E88CC, 5 V peak differential is much better than 3.3 V peak differential.

Do you know any suitable types for 5 V CMOS clocks?

perhaps, with Marcel´s permission, a new board(s) for the DSD-only Valve DAC, but not interested into make a GB or financial interest.

Like I wrote earlier, you can make any variant you want to make, and you have to be very careful with crosstalk from the sigma-delta modulates to the reference and clock, particularly the clock and clockn that drive the bottom E88CCs. Like Ray, I would also be very interested in your results!

Where can buy & the price?

As you've already linked to Lorien's GB I guess you're asking about ppy's isolator/reclocker? If so the answer is you can't buy them as completed boards, it's a DIY exercise. ppy has posted links to his website where you'll find schematics/BOM and a set of gerber files to have PCBs fabricated. You should be aware that many of the smd parts, including the NKD oscillators, are tiny and IMO not really suitable for hand soldering by most mortals.

Ray

Joined 2009
Paid Member
As you've already linked to Lorien's GB I guess you're asking about ppy's isolator/reclocker? If so the answer is you can't buy them as completed boards, it's a DIY exercise. ppy has posted links to his website where you'll find schematics/BOM and a set of gerber files to have PCBs fabricated. You should be aware that many of the smd parts, including the NKD oscillators, are tiny and IMO not really suitable for hand soldering by most mortals.

Ray

Many thanks Ray.

Felipe

About the filters, I hope I'm stating the obvious, but I'll state it anyway:

1. Out of laziness and to keep the screenprints readable, I've posted single-channel filter schematics with five-pin input connectors (ground-signal-ground-signal-ground), but the main board has a nine-pin two-channel output connector. No problem when there are wires in between, but if you want to directly connect the filter board to the main board, you need a two-channel filter board layout.

2. Both the filter board and the main board are relatively heavy, so you can't just let either of them rest on the connectors.

Sounds like a good idea. Have you got access to a two-channel (or more) oscilloscope with a bandwidth of 100 MHz or more? If so, you can compare the waveforms against my expectations (after I posted those), if not, you can still do some basic functional checks.

I have access to an oscilloscope - I'll be borrowing my friend's one so not sure of the model or specs but I'm pretty sure it exceeds those you mention. It'll be a while until I get to that point though.

Thanks for the tips on the filter board too. I think I'll go for seperate filter and transformer boards to facilitate experimenting with the filters.

Ray