• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ultra Low Noise JFETs from Texas Instruments

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
You got your wish; in 2010, National discontinued the chip whose die photo is linked in #121. Today the John Hardy company suggests you replace it with the MAT-12 and/or the SSM-2212 instead. The cheaper of these is a surface mount part, while the more expensive is available in thru-hole.

You got your wish; in 2010, National discontinued the chip whose die photo is linked in #121. Today the John Hardy company suggests you replace it with the MAT-12 and/or the SSM-2212 instead. The cheaper of these is a surface mount part, while the more expensive is available in thru-hole.

THAT has nice ones too, with NPN and PNP arrays. If burning amp happens (I can't make it) I plan on donating my stash of MAT02's and 03's in cans along with a lot of other stuff as door prizes or other forms of give away.

Look at the date codes. I had them 35 years in the drawer until I decided they were not too precious to be actually used for something.

Cheers, Gerhard

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 694
No it should be hidden to avoid embarrassment. Round emitters are bad for rbb. A 1nV NPN fits in the space of about four bond pads with a proper striped geometry of four transistors cross-coupled for first order cancellation of gradients.

Yeah that layout makes me scratch my head. The basic 1st-order common centroid isn't exactly new technology, not sure why it wasn't used. Kind of cool looking at the photos though.

Did you read the comment at the top of the page? "National LM394CH - has 2x50 interleaved BJT transistors in parallel in order to get 2 transistors with well-matched parameters. This is often desired in discrete op-amps. Not sure why this trick is rarely used in integrated opamps."

Umm...what?!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Study the die photo. There are 2x25 transistor "cells" NOT 2x50. Somebody wrote 2x50 long long ago and all subsequent authors have slavishly copied it (erroneously) ever since.

I think I once read that NSC used coins, dice, darts, and pseudorandom number generators to assign each of the "2N" layout cells, to one or the other half of the matched pair. The idea being: errors are random, so if we hook up the transistor pieces randomly too, then two wrongs will make a right. Or something.

_

Last edited:
these are NIP and NVA geometries from 1976 paper datasheet edition from Siliconix ;)
So my question remains : bandwidth vs. noise, wich did you choose for your "new" FET ?!

Attachments

• siliconixNIP.jpg
    siliconixNIP.jpg
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 643
  • siliconixNVA.jpg
    siliconixNVA.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:
A lot of discussions and side tracking after 135 posts.
But unfortunately not even one application circuit for audio.

So I stick my neck out and post one.
It is of course only simulation, needs some fiddling, and is not perfect.
But it is a start at least.
(The name "Fling" comes from "Fetlington".)

Cheers,
Patrick

PS The Vto of the JFET has to be chosen to be larger than the Vgs of the lateral MOSFET at bias.

Attachments

• XEN Fling EX THD.asc
    4.1 KB · Views: 217
Disabled Account
Joined 2008

(The name "Fling" comes from "Fetlington".)

Cheers,
Patrick

PS The Vto of the JFET has to be chosen to be larger than the Vgs of the lateral MOSFET at bias.

Hi Patrick
Could you please post a schematic of the circuit instead of an asc file? A JPEG or PDF would be great.
I'm not using LTspice and have no intention to install it.

Cheers
Stein

The Vto in your model is over the max on the data sheet, in any case only a small portion at the top of the Idss range would work even though the JFET only operates around 3mA.

EDIT - I meant the model provided, the cut off voltage at 100nA bears little to no relationship to Vto since a short channel FET like this is well into the sub-threshold region there.

Last edited: