UGS-muse preamp GB

... one things maybe is worth notice for others.

as suspected some time ago, i needed to remove the ground return from the 7p connector that carries the spi signals for the relays and muses.

if i kept them connected i had some mis-comm with muse chip.

just for the sake of the future builders.

Strange.
Never had any SPI communication problem or heard about it from the past builders.
How did you make sure that you have communication problem with the Muse?

No need to cut this GND wire.

nah... for me problem was symmetric, seems that has problem to set attenuation on both side. one side got the comm the other not.

if is not the gnd wire, then must be something in the fw.
the problem was intermittent, on both channels. usually when switching between balanced and unbalanced. nonetheless relay switched correctly and the input signal was present at the muse "input" side.

Not sure why, but once removed the gnd line worked. maybe double check on your side if fw on the latest 2.99 beta act strangely in that regard. maybe timing ?

not sure.

I finally got a bit of time to do a FW upgrade.
Fully tested on OLED, not yet on VFD
I fixed the problem reported by
- Stones : Encoder inversion bug and proposal to save settings on setup exit should any setting has been modified.
- Jacek_k_wawa : Trigger bug.

I will test on VFD then send to few beta testers before hopefully final release.

Last edited:
... this one...

I have a problem....

I built Eric's new PSU and shunt boards. I've been testing one of the boards - under load - and been able to adjust the + rail to the correct 24VDC. However on the - rail, I'm only able to adjust the trimmer to a max of -14VDC.

At first, I was only getting -5VDC on the - rail, so I replaced Q108 and that brought it up to -14VDC. However, now I'm stumped, and wondering what part may be bad. I have replacement parts for everything if someone more knowledgeable than me could guide me where to focus.

@redjr - did you find your problem? I am having somewhat similar observations.

I finally got a bit of time to do a FW upgrade.
Fully tested on OLED, not yet on VFD
I fixed the problem reported by
- Stones : Encoder inversion bug and proposal to save settings on setup exit should any setting has been modified.
- Jacek_k_wawa : Trigger bug.

I will test on VFD then send to few beta testers before hopefully final release.

i have also the problem that choosen setting are not reloaded after a full-power-cycle.
after power on i have to enter the menu and just exit after entering to restore them.
can you check that ?

The components GB is officially closed, the last package should leave my house this week.

Thanks to everybody for your trust.
This was for sure the craziest GB I have ever made.

Some numbers :
- total budget around 6000€
- 14 packages shipped all around Europe
- 140 components
- all most 2000 small plastic bags :)

Unfortunately I discover that a couple of components are missing for the UGS module (22R, 47R and 1k47 resistors) and also for the logical psu (forgot to include it to the part list).

Anyway I wish you a lot of fun with the soldering.
I finished my boards today without too much trouble.
Finally dealing with all this small component was not too complicated.

Alex

I tested yesterday on the VFD and it is all good too so one question before I release a beta.
I kept the manage settings menu for the moment while I was debugging but probably it is not necessary anymore at least for the save settings menu.
I explain myself, now I enabled the software to ask the user to save or discard modifications on setup exit if anything has been changed in the setup menu.
But I also kept the save settings menu as before that let users to save manually their settings. This is redundant so let me know if you guys want to keep it.
Otherwise if I remove this I will keep only the menu to erase the memory and the one to reload the saved settings 1 to 4.

Let me know, on my side I prefer simplicity so will tend to remove it.

Ok all is done, I removed the manual saving and cleaned up few things + found another minor little display bug on the VFD.
I have been played with both the VFD and the OLED and it looks nice now, better than before indeed.

I will look at the complains regarding the double click (and text editing) on the encoder with my UGSD as I don't have the dual encoder on my UGS Muse.
I believe this is the only minor remaining things to improve, let me know otherwise.

I'll send this binary this weekend to one OLED and one VFD owner for validation.

BTW VFD is really nice, wondering if I am not preferring now VFD over OLED

Ok all is done, I removed the manual saving and cleaned up few things + found another minor little display bug on the VFD.
I have been played with both the VFD and the OLED and it looks nice now, better than before indeed.

I will look at the complains regarding the double click (and text editing) on the encoder with my UGSD as I don't have the dual encoder on my UGS Muse.
I believe this is the only minor remaining things to improve, let me know otherwise.

I'll send this binary this weekend to one OLED and one VFD owner for validation.

BTW VFD is really nice, wondering if I am not preferring now VFD over OLED

that's great.