TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp with PFFB

The chassis external dimensions are 356mm wide x 254mm deep and wall panels are 5mm thick. So subtract 10mm for internal dimensions. Internal height available is 76mm with 6mm thick top and bottom panels or 88mm external height.
I am considering a chassis with a 3mm thick rear panel. I am mounting the BTSB Buffer on that rear panel to use with the TPA3255 Reference amp that recently arrived. With a 3mm thick panel, do I still need to countersink the holes for mounting the board-mounted RCA connectors?

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi X,
sorry if it has already been discussed, there are so many threads for this amp and I couldn't find anything specific: which psu do you recommend? Which parameters must be fulfilled? My package is already at the customs in Vienna, that was super fast! That's why I have to take care of things slowly :)

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi X,
many thanks!
As the website uses different terms, is it the correct configuration?

PSX_20230208_094419.jpg

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi X,
the parts are arriving :) today the heatsink and two external filter cap pcbs arrived (Sami sent it directly from China), the smps is coming next week or so.
Regarding filter cap pcb, I don't see it in the amp - is it required or "just" nice to have? Further, do you know the required R and C values?
Thanks in advance!

My amp arrived today, thanks X!

View attachment 1140988
You're going to enjoy the sound from this amp. Or, should I say enjoy the music. :) It's one of my top 5 amps. Sound is clear, articulate, mids perfect and plenty of bass. I built one when it was first released a couple years ago using the original BTSB board like you have. Just an easy amp to listen to. Hope your build goes well.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Many thanks! Yeah, I'm sure I will enjoy it. It will be my first class D amp, so I'm very curious and delighted, it will be a cool and different experience, after or better alongside class A :)
And it can drive my FAST TL without problems and again, I'm curious how it sounds with this powerful and - as I read somewhere - fast amp.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That is a nice heatsink/base for the SMPS. Once you have the BTSB buffer, you will have the core components of a very nice amp. If I can suggest something... use dual 16ga RC helicopter silicone insulation wiring (high strand count copper wire) for the PSU to amp and amp to speaker binding posts. It makes a difference by lowering the impedance to give the best bass authority and high damping factor possible.

The PSU Molex Minifit Jr connector has 4 pins so 2 for each +/-. The speaker output Molex Minifit Jr also allows for 2 wires each.

Last edited: