Total Domination VFET (TDV) Amp (using 2SK2087C)

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
So, I got to hear a SIT-4, which is a Tokin amp in common source mode (i.e., it has voltage gain too). Absolutely glorious sound. I want to hear it in the TDV chassis. It should be relatively easy: just put the choke on the drain pin and apply a little feedback.

Ben has reported that he prefers his followers to CD mode VFET amps. For sure, the follower will have less distortion, but the SIT-4 has such a glorious sound that it will be worth the experiment.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Agree, but I am going to stick in the Hammond 193V and see what happens. That's all I have. It is big, but you can hear its limits when pushed, especially at the top and bottom ends, even in SF mode.

What's your recommendation for exquisite quality choke, choky? :)

I asked Slagle if he would make something for these amplifiers when Ben Mah's posts were made. He said yes and then I never heard back. I did ask him an additional few times with no response. I had bought more than a few pieces from him so he should have known I was serious. Who knows?

I am using the Lundahl filament choke - and having nothing better to compare it with or being able to take measurements, I am able to be blissfully pleased and ignorant of misbehavior that I cannot hear.

It would be fun to hear what they could make with their larger cores. Maybe they would consider an order if there was enough interest for a small run. Who knows what small would have to be?

Maybe Slagle would consider making a small run? I would want them.

Reactions: 1 users
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So, I got to hear a SIT-4, which is a Tokin amp in common source mode (i.e., it has voltage gain too). Absolutely glorious sound.
Here is a photo of the stack we listened to. Bottom 2 are Tokin SIT prototypes, middle is SIT4 proto,
above that is small version of Beast w/ 1K Jfets, top is ACAmini.

:cheers:

Attachments

• SIT AMPS.jpg
    SIT AMPS.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Thank You
Reactions: 7 users
My progress so far and I went with suggestions from ra7, CodyT and Eric looking at my parts bin what I could find to meet the schematic. Used 22R, 6.8k and then 2.2R *2 for R3. Will solder a 220/3w resistor across the spk+/- as per the original schematic instead of 470/3w suggested as I have these resistors with me.
Will be using 2 of the 4.7uf film caps and then a 18v zener diode. I am going to repurpose the 193T from the LU amp as well as the 24v 5A smps along with the Tuba filter :)

1694615308700.png

Reactions: 3 users