Topping TP10 Mk3 and Topping TP20 impressons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Arjen Helder,

I received the modded TP20 which i bought from you on ebay.
I would have to add, i didn't expect it to be this small in size.

I would have like you to include the parts which are taken out, cos i may want to try it out puting back to stock one day and listen.

However, i found that my unit seems to be a little unbalanced, the right is always louder than the left, tried using XLO Reference - Test & Burn-In Gold CD to position my speakers, switched my interconnects' left and right, the result is still the same.

What could be the problem.

TP20 mods

Hi Arjen,

firstly I would like to thank you for service given by yourself and Stacy and the easy ebay transaction, I would highly recommend anybody to purchase from you.
I have done some modifications to the back panel, removed the 3.5mm jack and the very ordinary speaker connectors. I would have liked to install binding posts, but with the very small available area, I resorted to using banana sockets along with two RCA sockets.
I am very happy with the amplifier and happy with the results of my modification.
If anybody is interested, I can supply a CAD drawing of the back panel, I will also post all of the modification photos on 'DIY Audio' on Facebook
BTW the speaker in the photo is a home built Swift design by Emil Attlid (just a little plug for a good designer!) The driver is a Tang Band
Cheers

I am glad to see another happy customer of Arjen's. I myself have bought a modified Topping TP20 from Arjen and can't have been happier with the service provided by Stacy and Arjen. I still bug him with silly questions and he is kind enough to answer them all :) Thank you Arjen and Stacy again!

Audi0, does changing the 3.5mm stereo jack to RCA connectors and speaker terminals help improve the sound? I was thinking of doing that but haven't got enough motiviation to get my hands dirty yet. Could you kindly provide the details of your modification somewhere I can access? I am not able to locate the photos you mentioned somehow.

swkbkk said:
I am glad to see another happy customer of Arjen's. I myself have bought a modified Topping TP20 from Arjen and can't have been happier with the service provided by Stacy and Arjen. I still bug him with silly questions and he is kind enough to answer them all :) Thank you Arjen and Stacy again!

Audi0, does changing the 3.5mm stereo jack to RCA connectors and speaker terminals help improve the sound? I was thinking of doing that but haven't got enough motiviation to get my hands dirty yet. Could you kindly provide the details of your modification somewhere I can access? I am not able to locate the photos you mentioned somehow.

Hi swkbkk,
sorry I'm new to this site and thought that I had attached photos to the post? I haven't had a chance to post the photos on the Facebook page yet, I just finished working on the amp about an hour ago.
I'm not sure that changing the 3.5mm jack to RCA's makes a vast difference to the sound? My original plan was just to swap over those horrible little plastic snap in speaker cable connectors with binding posts so that I could attach a 'decent size' speaker cable, however I had enough space for a couple of RCA's, and I prefer them!!

try again!

try again!

Attachments

• topping tp20 back panel.jpg
    topping tp20 back panel.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,050
A single full range driver bookshelf for TP20

Hi Audi0,

Thanks for the pictures. Your homemade speaker looks very beautiful! What model of Tang Band does it use? Do you have more information and building instruction available? How does it sound with the modified TP20?

I am in the process of finding a small bookshelf speaker for my TP20. I want a high efficiency single full range driver speaker without any crossover (even without a notch filter if possible) that is simple and cheap (hopefully below $100US) to build. Well, I have never built a speaker myself so I want it to be as simple and cheap as possible but of course, I want it to sound good too.

I have been searching and gathering information and have found a few interesting projects including Pekar's DelSol speaker, which seemed almost perfect solution for me until I found out that the Aura driver used in the project is no longer available. :(

Maybe, I can try building something like yours if it's not too complicated and not too difficult to get the parts.

Re: A single full range driver bookshelf for TP20

swkbkk said:
Hi Audi0,

Thanks for the pictures. Your homemade speaker looks very beautiful! What model of Tang Band does it use? Do you have more information and building instruction available? How does it sound with the modified TP20?

I am in the process of finding a small bookshelf speaker for my TP20. I want a high efficiency single full range driver speaker without any crossover (even without a notch filter if possible) that is simple and cheap (hopefully below $100US) to build. Well, I have never built a speaker myself so I want it to be as simple and cheap as possible but of course, I want it to sound good too.

I have been searching and gathering information and have found a few interesting projects including Pekar's DelSol speaker, which seemed almost perfect solution for me until I found out that the Aura driver used in the project is no longer available. :(

Maybe, I can try building something like yours if it's not too complicated and not too difficult to get the parts.

Hi swkbbk,

the speakers are Emil Attlid design 'Swift' all details are on his web site http://attlid.eu/index.html
The parts are easy to come by.

cheers

Until i a source with line out i had to use my XM5 headphone amp, not sure what you mean with "what it can do" with a preamp, but it sounded great (not distorting) at higher levels than i can get to with my current line out source.
I never maxed out the amp though, i set the TP10 to about 75% volume and controlled volume from the headphone amp. (Reaching about 50% when i "had enough of trying" and lowered it to about 25% volume for loud listening)

Not sure how much that means to you w/o having said amp laying around to try.

i have gotten an unmodded set.

I thought it sounded pretty impessive but just lacking of something which i cannot pin point exactly.

i have added a preamp, in fact a couple of them, and it totally changes the amp. With some i like it very much, and some the volume is too small to determine.

Hence i wanted to check out more opinions, whether it really has an impact on the sound.

Pre-amp

Hi there,

Ive been working on exactly that, changing the sound to a different flavor using a pre- amp, or to be technically correct a valve buffer.

I have designed together with a good friend from Germany a buffer specially for the Tripath IC series, it uses a 12AU7 valve, and feeds on only 12 volts, because it has a DC-DC converter inside, making about 42 volts max as plate voltage.

This set up i have been testing over the weekend here, and wowee! that sure sounds nice! it adds the warmth of a valve amp without harming the detail of a T-amp, its fantastic!

Also, ive got new PCB's out! for the TA2020 and TA2024 MKIII

amoungst the improvements,

- bigger buffer cap 6800uF 25 V
- Micro metals high frequency toroidal output coils
- 3mm thick PCB board
- AC and DC input supported
- Ultra wide voltage input, 9-15 volts !

ETC!!

Greetings,

Arjen

Attachments

• dsc00921.jpg
    dsc00921.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 895
marcusdeming said:

I thought it sounded pretty impessive but just lacking of something which i cannot pin point exactly.

i have added a preamp, in fact a couple of them, and it totally changes the amp. With some i like it very much, and some the volume is too small to determine.

Hence i wanted to check out more opinions, whether it really has an impact on the sound.

What preamp have you added?
I was thinking of making a preamp on my own...
i found the circuits schemetics.

marcusdeming said:

Try adding large caps to the12V input like described further up, i only could grab some 4700uF Nichicon caps locally, but they brought back the lack of low end (god knows the t-amps have detail up the whazoo)
I may pick up larger input caps if i ever go back inside the TP10 MkIII to do other stuff to replace the ones i have now.
Try that with larger caps as Arjen pointed out and it will make a huge difference on the cheap.

Re: Pre-amp

ArjenShenzhen said:
Hi there,

Ive been working on exactly that, changing the sound to a different flavor using a pre- amp, or to be technically correct a valve buffer.

I have designed together with a good friend from Germany a buffer specially for the Tripath IC series, it uses a 12AU7 valve, and feeds on only 12 volts, because it has a DC-DC converter inside, making about 42 volts max as plate voltage.

This set up i have been testing over the weekend here, and wowee! that sure sounds nice! it adds the warmth of a valve amp without harming the detail of a T-amp, its fantastic!

Also, ive got new PCB's out! for the TA2020 and TA2024 MKIII

amoungst the improvements,

- bigger buffer cap 6800uF 25 V
- Micro metals high frequency toroidal output coils
- 3mm thick PCB board
- AC and DC input supported
- Ultra wide voltage input, 9-15 volts !

ETC!!

Greetings,

Arjen

Hi Arjen,

Very interested in this.

Yes indeed, i have tried a tube preamp and a couple of my headphone amps on the fellow and they sounded better.

I only got some of the following problems:
Cmoy (headamp)
low gain, very soft and distortion occur when i try to go louder on the headamp.

Another headamp
Very nice, but nice and detail, with just the right amount of gain.
the only thing that i don't quite like is the case of the headamp.
its portable, so its small and doesn't stay nicely in place.

Tube preamp(5670, 6dj8(Left and Right),
Best of the lot, but there is a weird situation and i am not sure what is wrong. My preamp have to be maxed to avoid a humming and some noise. (please tell me what i can do to solve this)
Other then that this amp seems like a very good match with the TP10.

Tube amp (pre-out)
Not sure how this may sound as I am still waiting for my new rack before i can settle this fellows in the living room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.