Topping TP10 Mk3 and Topping TP20 impressons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Valve pre-amp

Hi there Daniel,

The input voltage of my PCB's is about 0.8 volts RMS to achieve maximal output without distortion, so more than that would not help, i suggest you measure the voltage at the output over a 100K resistor, and then measure how much volts it is.

maybe for some high ohm value headphones such a high voltage is required.

make sure that you never give more than 3 volts to the input, it can damage the IC quite eazely, this is one of the weak points of the Tripaht IC's.

My Pre-amp PCB's are done and 4 days from now ill have the valves too, then ill start to sell.

Greetings!

Arjen Helder

Would it work to drop the input to safe levels by soldering a resitor to drop the voltage to save levels?
It would be nice to use the amp as pre-amp to the TP10 w/o having to use my 1/4 to 1/8 adapter on 1/8 to 2xRCA contraption i use now from the headphone out.

Re: Topping amps

ArjenShenzhen said:
Hi there Guys,

The Topping MK III is now out, also with TA2020 IC!

I think these are nice looking and well sounding little amps, so i also sell them now.

ive got an ebay shop opened, and you can find it under Arjenhelder_electronic.

ive got the TA2020 model and the TA2024 model, i think there great. the only thing that is worth doing is adding a bigger buffer cap to the 12 volts line, that will improve the bass quite a bit.

i also have the caps needed for that, and ill add them free of charge.

Greetings,

Arjen Helder

You are terrific with service and share of knowledge.

I am ecstatic that u have the insight of adding an input selector, I am shocked at people not mentioning this on the forums.

Is there a sonic/audio difference with TA2020 and TA2024 models?

thanks in advance.

gychang

I didn't get to that yet, but i would feed the same source to two amps, so both get left+right, then consider one amp tweeter and the other woofer, this way you can change the balance of tweeter to woofer, unless you want a left-right panning control with the speakers' driver's balance as before. Which to me wouldn't be bi-amping.
It sounded like you want to do the latter instead of the former.

morfic said:
I didn't get to that yet, but i would feed the same source to two amps, so both get left+right, then consider one amp tweeter and the other woofer, this way you can change the balance of tweeter to woofer, unless you want a left-right panning control with the speakers' driver's balance as before. Which to me wouldn't be bi-amping.
It sounded like you want to do the latter instead of the former.

Morifc,

can we do this bi amp thingy?

So I just need a 1 to 2 RCA jack on both channel to do the bi-amping right for both left and right out from the preamp or source.

Bi-amping

marcusdeming said:

Morifc,

can we do this bi amp thingy?

So I just need a 1 to 2 RCA jack on both channel to do the bi-amping right for both left and right out from the preamp or source.

Not quite that simple Marcus, you will need to re-wire your speakers with an input for the woofer and an input for the tweeter (assuming that it is a two way speaker!) "What do I do with my crossover"? you say, well to do the job properly you need a crossover between your source (preamp etc) and your power amplifier(s)
A good explanation can be found here- http://sound.westhost.com/biamp-vs-passive.htm

Hi Arjen,

Just would like to know the frequency response of the upgraded MkIII? Also, somebody from an earlier post was asking about the performance of the MKIII compared to the Ampino. Would you be able to tell the difference.

Lastly, how much would the upgraded version cost landed here in Manila?

Thanks so much and warm regards!

Hi there Tony,

The MKIII compared to the Amplino, i have no idea as i have never heared the amplino before, so im in the dark there, maybe there are some customers of mine that can tell you more about the comparison.

the frequency range is 20~20 KHZ, but it dosnt fall off so steep, until 45Khz there is still allot of output.

The MKIII is a PCB only, just so you know and is like all my PCB's fully finished and ready to run.
Price is 266 RMB per one, plus shipping, total price then is about 320 RMB, 46 USD incl shipment.

Greetings,

Arjen Helder

Hello all

I've made diy 2-way speakers with relative "good" passive components. (Ellam xt)

I'm interested to make for these speakers an amp based on the Arjen products. I'm planning to use 2 amps in order to have bi-amp (i don't know yet if i will use an amp for each speaker or an amp for each way - if one solution is way better than the other, please let me know)

I've read that the optimal solution is to make an active x-over before the amps with one amp/way. As i have allready a "good" passive xover, i've some questions :
- can i use it or make some tests with it in the place of the active x-over, ie in a big box before the amps ?
- Is it a bad idea ? / Does it make a sens to change the place of my passive x over ?
- What will be the benefits of a simple and cheap activ 18Db/O cross over ?

For Arjen,
- i've read that you can sell boxes, can you send some photos / prices ?
- Can you make an offer with components you sell in others KIT (ie pots, cinch, speakers outlets, ...)
- What are the prices of the 5A and 10 A adjustable power supply ?

Thanks for any infos or advice :)

If it helps anyone make their decision, I just compared the TP-20 (not modified) to a few years old Denon UD-M31 micro system. The Denon completely wipes the floor with it, much less thin and weasly, much bigger soundstage. Overall much more musical. The TP-20 is unlistenable in comparison

I'm using Antec Signature 650 PSU+Asus Xonar Essence STX with Ruark Talisman II speakers. Not impressed at all with the TP-20, I wasted my money on that one. I don't know if the modded one is vastly better, but I'm not interested to be honest. Just wanted to warn that people can get much better quality for their money than the stock TP-20. This old Denon can't be worth much

If anyone has bought the Dayens Ampino, I'd be very interested to know how good it sounds

Matt

mattpwill said:
If it helps anyone make their decision, I just compared the TP-20 (not modified) to a few years old Denon UD-M31 micro system. The Denon completely wipes the floor with it, much less thin and weasly, much bigger soundstage. Overall much more musical. The TP-20 is unlistenable in comparison

I'm using Antec Signature 650 PSU+Asus Xonar Essence STX with Ruark Talisman II speakers. Not impressed at all with the TP-20, I wasted my money on that one. I don't know if the modded one is vastly better, but I'm not interested to be honest. Just wanted to warn that people can get much better quality for their money than the stock TP-20. This old Denon can't be worth much

If anyone has bought the Dayens Ampino, I'd be very interested to know how good it sounds

Matt

I thought that the object of

DIY audio was to build your own and / or IMPROVE the sound of purchased equipment? IMHO, I would suggest to you that you should read this thread from the beginning, do the modifications suggested and gauge the improvements. If you aren't interested in this amplifier or this thread and don't have any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, why are you bothering reading it?:whazzat:

djull said:
Hello all

I've made diy 2-way speakers with relative "good" passive components. (Ellam xt)

I'm interested to make for these speakers an amp based on the Arjen products. I'm planning to use 2 amps in order to have bi-amp (i don't know yet if i will use an amp for each speaker or an amp for each way - if one solution is way better than the other, please let me know)

I've read that the optimal solution is to make an active x-over before the amps with one amp/way. As i have allready a "good" passive xover, i've some questions :
- can i use it or make some tests with it in the place of the active x-over, ie in a big box before the amps ?
- Is it a bad idea ? / Does it make a sens to change the place of my passive x over ?
- What will be the benefits of a simple and cheap activ 18Db/O cross over ?

For Arjen,
- i've read that you can sell boxes, can you send some photos / prices ?
- Can you make an offer with components you sell in others KIT (ie pots, cinch, speakers outlets, ...)
- What are the prices of the 5A and 10 A adjustable power supply ?

Thanks for any infos or advice :)

Hi djull,
How do the Ellam speakers sound?, The crossovers looks like they are about 50% of the cost of the speakers..

There is so much info on the web about 'Passive v Active' I would suggest you Google
basically;
A passive crossover is in the signal path after amplification, as it is modifying a signal that has already been amplified, a passive crossover does drain a small amount of power.
Speakers actually change their impedances when playing which also changes a passive crossover's crossover point, or frequency response, leading to inconsistent sound definition, especially around the vocal regions.
An active electronic crossover processes your audio signal before it reaches your amplifier, so it's unaffected by speaker impedance and makes your system far more efficient. Installed at the preamp level, it lets your amp concentrate its full power solely on those frequencies it passes to your speakers.
The crossover point(s) are adjustable so you can ‘tune’ your speakers

I thought that the object of DIY audio was to build your own and / or IMPROVE the sound of purchased equipment? IMHO, I would suggest to you that you should read this thread from the beginning, do the modifications suggested and gauge the improvements. If you aren't interested in this amplifier or this thread and don't have any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, why are you bothering reading it?

The modified version may be a vast improvement, the TA2024 model may also be a vast improvement, I don't know. I just thought that it might help someone considering buying the stock TP20.

I was "bothering reading" (you have such a way with words) this thread, "Topping TP10 Mk3 and Topping TP20 impressons?" before buying the TP20.

I generally don't post on forums unless I have the time and feel I have something to offer or to learn, so to be thanked already makes me happy that I posted :)

You can't please everyone all of the time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.