Three way crossover question

My tweaks include replacing tweeter caps with Obbligato Premiun+ caps, adding a Jantzen 5.6uF Superior Z-cap to the mid range filter and replacing the two iron core inductors with air core inductors. And I will consider adding an R2 to the mid range filter. And R1 is 0.56ohms.
View attachment 1013084
This diagram has been corrected to match the original P6 XO by showing L2 and L3 in series to the woofer.
My tweaks include replacing tweeter caps with Obbligato Premiun+ caps, adding a Jantzen 5.6uF Superior Z-cap to the mid range filter and replacing the two iron core inductors with air core inductors. And I will consider adding an R2 to the mid range filter. And R1 is 0.56ohms.
View attachment 1013084
The following diagram has been corrected to match the original P6 XO by showing L2 and L3 in series going to the woofer.
P6 final  XO diagram.jpg

So I'm a classicaly trained flute player and have been playing in jazz clubs for about fifty years and am considered to have good ears. While I like the sound improvements from my XO, the tweeter needs a bit more volume to get it to better match the mid range output. Would it make sense to replace the 0.68ohm tweeter resistor with a 0.5 ohm resistor? And here are pics of the finished XOs.
DSC00205P6 modified XO final 1.JPG

R1 is presently 0.68ohm
The resistor takes drops the tweeter level less than 1dB, possibly only ~0.5dB, a quite small amount. Try the balance with the 0.56Ω removed (i.e. short-circuited out).
Not sure I understand what you are suggesting but I tried the tweeter filter without R1 and I liked the sound better with 0.68ohm R1. Now I'm looking to make very subtle changes in the tweeter responce so I thought trying a 0.25 or some other lower ohm value resistor might an make an audible. Does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense. Either it will work or it wont. If not then you need to find the other thing which is causing the problem.
It is not really a problem. Just my critical sense of something that can be improved. Over thirty years I have bought seven custom hand made flutes. In 2007 I finally found my soul mate flute which was made in 1885. Perfection is in the details.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The first guess would be to increase the midrange inductor.. but keep in mind that if you manage to create a discontinuity at the crossover then it may stand out. Therefore this kind of problem could instead be due to the lower treble being too high.