Theoretically best subwoofer enclosure

What about an organ pipe with multiple butterfly valves along it's length, that can be instantly open and shut to have the required resonance to reproduce the desired frequency?
There's vids on YouTube of people who have a complete wall of subs, but I can only think that would have issues with standing waves.
I think some people on diyaudio have had success with 4 subs in a room; 4 subs, double chamber aperiodicly damped, with opposed drivers in enclosures that are so stiff and light that they're resonant frequency is well above what they're used for seems the ultimate way to go for me.

What about an organ pipe with multiple butterfly valves along it's length, that can be instantly open and shut to have the required resonance to reproduce the desired frequency?
There's vids on YouTube of people who have a complete wall of subs, but I can only think that would have issues with standing waves.
I think some people on diyaudio have had success with 4 subs in a room; 4 subs, double chamber aperiodicly damped, with opposed drivers in enclosures that are so stiff and light that they're resonant frequency is well above what they're used for seems the ultimate way to go for me.
A pipe always adds resonance. You plan to tune the resonance to always stay in a resonance mode ... this will give SPL level but not sound quality.
The reason to have a wall of subs is to AVOID standing waves - and that works well. Search for DBA or SBA. (double/single bass array)
4 subs proper placed is the first step - before you go full in for a DBA ;-)

Reactions: 1 users
"Joferro

I just see that you posted a Horn diagram. My driver would have been mounted on top of the S2 arrow not inside the speaker"

I know that. I found the 1st pic that showed where S2 is located. The same principle applies whether using Nd, OD, or the TH function in Hornresp.

A negative flare tapped horn (T-TQWT or T-TQWP) can be compact. Just make sure the mouth is at least 1/3 of the driver's Sd.

My driver has a Sd of 1,056cm2.
My T-TQWT has a 516.13cm2 mouth.

32.25" high × 17.5" wide x 31.75" deep.

from Handset_20120103120908_61.jpg

Kicker 08S15L74 T-TQWT HR.jpg

20220821_182424.jpg

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Then you need to decide what frequency to chose and neglect all others. Music (nearly) always includes multiple overlapping/combined frequencies, such as a bass drum kick for example.

Edit: also you have to introduce quantization, thus a number of discrete frequency values you want to allow/amplify. Could be an interesting musical effect though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That thing is a beast, although it doesn't look that big in the room. Why a negative flare instead of a positive one, what does that do?
Hofmann's Iron Law...loud, low, small...pick 2. I chose low and small.

I built the least efficient tapped horn, yet I was able to crack multiple walls with 200 watts from a Yamaha HTR-5730 AVR in 2012. 12 years and still going strong.

Master Bedroom Crack.jpg
Sub Corner Crack.jpg
Opposite Corner Cracks.jpg
Sub Corner.jpg

Positive flare = loud and big.
Straight flare = easiest build, no angles.
Negative flare = small and low.

With the stepped feature in HR, you can model straight (no angles) positive and negative flared tapped horns. I think the most segments you can have is 3 when modeling a stepped TH.

This is an example of stepped positive flare TH. NEVER use corner reflectors. They take up volume and lower the efficiency. See the SS15 thread regarding corner reflectors.

1709699309457.png

Last edited:
They are not the same as tapped horns. Just look at where the driver is, in relation to the mouth.
A TQWP or TQWT can be a

TAPERED Quarter Wave Pipe or Tube = TL

or

TAPPED Quarter Wave Pipe or Tube = straight flare TH.

Tapered = driver mounted on the outside of the enclosure, basically a fancy BR enclosure.

Tapped = driver mounted inside the inside the enclosure, basically a fancy BP6S enclosure.

My home theater sub is a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Pipe or Tube, basically a negative flare tapped horn.

I want to say bjorno came up with T-TQWT. He's got a million HR models in the Subwoofer thread.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Reading back, I notice that TO is talking about a studio apartment. That does limit some options, I think it's quite important where you want to place the subwoofer(s). Fond as I already am of the Ripole concept, being a dipole they do need room behind them.

I've found out the hard way that just shoving a subwoofer in a corner is not the best idea and the intended placement has a lot of influence on which design will work best.

I've found out the hard way that just shoving a subwoofer in a corner is not the best idea and the intended placement has a lot of influence on which design will work best.
Positioning is everything!
Interestingly the best position for a single Subwoofer in my strongly dampened listening room was - the corner! Tried a lot, you have the least SBIR effects there. With 2 woofers it was centered front and back. Now I'm useing a single array with 4 on the front.