The XSD Speaker

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, the faston connectors are really the best. Check out the dastasheet in the link below:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/63435-1?qs=9f8l7NGB4rZxeRXFASMQVQ==
Maybe I am looking at this wrong, but mouser wants 46 cents a piece, 100 would be 46 bucks. 100 through parts express is less than 15 bucks....this cant be right?

https://www.parts-express.com/connectors-adapters/Solderless-Crimp-Terminal-Connectors

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/63435-1?qs=9f8l7NGB4rZxeRXFASMQVQ==

Russellc

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Reactions: 1 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I had some time to start installing the woofers into my XSD.

Installing the wires for the in chamber driver:
IMG_9569.jpeg

Hot melt glue seals the wire feed through holes:
IMG_9570.jpeg

Alternating in and out mounting:
IMG_9572.jpeg

Detail of magnet inside:
IMG_9573.jpeg

Detail of cone face outside. I’m using #8-3/4in black driver mounting wood screws:
IMG_9574.jpeg

Detail of Noico sound dampening butyl sheets installed on driver frame/basket to reduce resonances:
IMG_9568.jpeg

Video of effect of sound dampening on woofer frame:

Reactions: 6 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
All drivers finally mounted in one XSD. I’ll do the second one tomorrow. This takes a lot longer than one imagines as there are 10 drivers x 4 screws. All needing center punch, pilot hole, then tighten screws.

IMG_9639.jpeg

IMG_9640.jpeg

IMG_9641.jpeg

IMG_9642.jpeg

IMG_9643.jpeg

I wish I had some #6 x 0.5in screws for the tweeter. I ended up using pliers to cut them to size to prevent poking through. I used machine screws and nuts last time but this is faster and has nice black finish head.

Reactions: 2 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sound test of first speaker after a couple days of break-in to loosen suspensions on mid and woofers. Some countries are blocked due to sound file copyright. Playing in mono with Warp-1 amp and driven by SMSL SU-9m DAC and Amazon music over USB. Recorded with my iPhone 12 Promax. The articulation and snap is amazing. The bass resolution is very cool. There is a definite “live” presence to the speaker - the dipole / open baffle ambience is very palpable.

Reactions: 2 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Wagnju,
Are you using the passive crossover I designed and sold through my shop, or are you using your own active DSP setup? I can’t help you to debug unless I know if the XO is yours or mine. Underwhelming is something this speaker is not. It does not have deep 30Hz bass but the bass it has from 50Hz and above is very powerful. The -6dB is about 44Hz.

The woofers and PRV midrange do need breakin. The PRV has a very stiff doped fabric surround. Play music that has some bass at moderate levels (75dB to 80dB) continuously for 2-3 days. I used a loop of Norah Jones and Diana Krall. You can pick something that won’t drive you crazy with it playing all day and night.

You could do night club house music with thumping bass at louder volumes for a few hours and maybe that is quicker.

There is a definite change in the suspension loosening up though.

If you are doing DSP active, please share your XO plot so I can see how this is setup. Here is my latest example crossover plot as measured:

1701878020220.jpeg

This particular set of woofers has a 370Hz peak that wasn’t there in my last set. But it’s not objectionable sounding.

Do you have updates to your photos with all the drivers now installed?

1701878598011.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Still waiting to build mine, dang sure want to but the total remodel of our place is just taking up all my time and funds......

I was considering DSP for crossover work but now thinking of passive at least for the mid/tweeter and active for the bass section so I can try out my beloved 10 watt tube amp on the mid/tweets.

Eventually I will end up with one or two most likely D class amps to save energy in our RV once we go solar especially so and if I can get these speakers to play well in our RV I might go all passive and one good amp.

Since I have 8" bass drivers I would need to go active or mod the passive design to work, XRK, do you have any info on the passive mods I would need?

Thanks,
Rick