The Weather

Hope all is getting back to normal in the PacNW.
August in South Texas is coasting time for weathermen. Hot, hot and hot.
A few weeks ago, in west Texas, I experienced a rough afternoon storm. My customer had just had his 6kW solar install completed on Tuesday, and the Thursday storm blew two of his panels from their mounting.
The winds also moved one end of a 40-foot intermodal container about 15ft. It is to be used as a workshop, and that end had the wiring and distribution box. A real mess.

Cal - we had a day trip visitor from Vashon Island on Sunday - there were 3 folks killed when a tree fell on a car and in a playground - no doubt stress from protracted drought had a role in those.

While the north-wet frequently experiences a few weeks in the summer without extensive precipitation, this one is probably a record breaker, and the ground is so dry throughout the area that the next few storms will be scarier than usual -flash flooding, etc - no time for another Pineapple express.

It came up quickly and left quickly but the damage is done and now there is much clean up. It's now becoming clear how big an area was affected.
Spoke too soon about the power being back. Isolated pockets not expected back until tomorrow.
Just talked with a friend whose freezer isn't well insulated and she didn't think to call for help and now she can't even bring the stuff over to cook to try and extend it's life. It's all a goner. :bawling:

Just talked with a friend whose freezer isn't well insulated and she didn't think to call for help and now she can't even bring the stuff over to cook to try and extend it's life. It's all a goner.
Global warming, freak storms, time for contingency measures = backup generators, wood stoves, back to the real old days again, when the system is fragile. Now time to cut the grass with the JD, oops sorry mother earth, I'll be quick about it :)

Last edited:
Yes, there are some seasonal and planetary mechanical functions that we've not yet found a way to mess up with - but there's always time for that - it's what makes us human.

If I was a believer, I'd imagine the Creator might be rethinking the "free will" option - "I've got the spare time to see how this plays out, but maybe next time around, I'll delete that feature"

The weather is strange for the last few days...not hot like it was for the last three months...and winds now...with a bit of rain. ...Some pretty strong winds.

But not only the weather is strange; most members (98%) don't have a green light, meaning they aren't online, or they are invisible! ...What's going on?
Is this just a simple glitch?