The Weather

Joined 2002
Paid Member
We are supposed to be entering what we could possibly call autumn ( typically 30 deg C in the daytime , min 26 at night !). Winter could be brrrr 26 max and 20 min :D . Ha...Ha..!

However it has suddenly become very hot and humid again. The weather has changed quite drastically of late. Even the rains have reduced leading to a possible water shortage ! Summer was really strange . The pattern has shifted in time and duration.

Here in ST Louis the summer was wet and relatively mild. As I recall, there wasn't any oppressive heat until well into August but it hung around through the first week of September. Been cooler the last week or so. Last night my wife & I slept in the starlight on the deck behind the house. Weather was GREAT for serious snuggling and making love by dawn's light.

Dale

We are about 400 miles east of St. Louis along I-70. We have been having rather abnormally hot days with no rain for about 2 months except for a pair of fronts that pushed through last week. It hit 90 F yesterday with zero wind. Hot enough for me to not finish mowing what's left of the lawn. It does get into the 50's and 60's at night now, so the AC doesn't have to run after dark.

No corn or tomatoes from the garden this year, and the beans are rather stringy and small. The Amish farms in Ohio have done better, but the crop yield was lower and auction prices are up. Last year corn was $16 per bag (about 60 ears), this year $20 to $25, it's still good and tasty though. Their red, yellow and orange peppers are rather small and expensive, green is OK. Cantaloupe and watermelon did good, pumpkin, not so well.

We are supposed to be entering what we could possibly call autumn ( typically 30 deg C in the daytime , min 26 at night !). Winter could be brrrr 26 max and 20 min :D . Ha...Ha..!

I got caught in the tail end of a monsoon in Benares in 1972 -- yes they had an airport which was the size of my garage -- everybody got to go back to their hotel since no-one was getting in.

I got caught in the tail end of a monsoon in Benares in 1972 -- yes they had an airport which was the size of my garage -- everybody got to go back to their hotel since no-one was getting in.

I remember the airport at Dhaka in Bangladesh around 1987. It was the same size, materials and shape as my dads old wooden garden shed - about 10 foot long. It sat on the edge of the runway. Beyond the edge of the runway was the sea. Out in the sea were a few telegraph poles sticking out of the water - all the houses and the rest of it was underwater and completely flooded. Planes landed on the tarmac runway and took off again, there was no going anywhere else. I was changing flights from a big jet to a smaller jet, small enough to land at Kathmandu. It was plenty warm at the time.

Fall is here, 20° Celsius right now, yesterday it rained, apples in the trees, colors in the leaves, grapes and flowers look gorgeous, I love the Autumn season...where you can smell the love in the air...in all the people...the cute girls and all that jazz.

We live on a beautiful planet of the universe...would be nice to find out what's over there @ the edge of the universe's four corners. ...Just to check what kind of weather they have @ this time of the year...is it cold?

There'd be only four corners in a single flat universe, but how many in the multiverse that a poll in another thread suggests is the current consensus of this cohort's cognoscente?

I think Bob would be a very busy boy surveying them all, and except for the wondrous Pandora in Cameron's documentary ;), we might well inhabit the nicest little wet grain of sand of the lot

You guys all have a great humorous sense of the imagination...that makes you shining in the universe...no matter if it's hot or cold on that day. :)

* By the way, the plate amp of my subwoofer stopped working; where can I get it fixed here in Victoria? It's a Definitive Technology Powerfield PF15TL model sub.

The other day I heard a small click, then another one, and then no more signal from it.
I took the the plate amp out and looked carefully @ it; the fuse had continuity, and one small resistor has a trace of black on top. I know nothing about that stuff...and I don't know who can repair it without ripping me off.

That sub was never abused, the driver is in perfect shape, and the plate amp looks brand new with no apparent damage except for that trace of black on that small resistor near the power amplifier connected to the heat sink.

Any idea who can help me out here, or in Victoria. Would tremendously be grateful.

Any good place too to shop for a subwoofer in Victoria? Who caries HSU subs here on the Island?
But I would love to get my sub fixed...because I am very poor without any money. :)

Oh, and it's a beautiful day today, outside on my deck, sun...some clouds...and 20° Celsius again. ...Just perfect.

Last edited:
Bob, the best long time speaker service guy I know of in Victoria (Aaron at Sound Hounds) were discussing this general subject just the other day. One of his biggest pains is getting service parts for on- board amps in all the commercial subs they sell. Many OEM units are difficult if not impossible to service as they may be potted in hot glue or other messy goop, direct replacements may be tricky and time consuming to acquire within warranty, and once out of warranty can be outrageously expensive if avaiable at all.

As a retail business would need to make some mark-up on the same type of units that would be available to DIYers, as often as not his best solution is to offer a traded in used sub when the cost of repair is excessive.

One might almost think they were designed to be disposable.;)

There are a variety of plate amp units available from folks like Partsexpress, or even Bob at CSS in Vancouver, but finding one that that will be an exact physical drop in and precisely replicate any custom functions yours might have had - so you might need to either modify enclosure to fit, or seal up it up, build a small box and run the plate amp outboard.

Frankly, I've stopped building in the amps, and if you're using in a HT system with LFE output on the receiver, you'd probably bypass or defeat the plate amp's XO in any case, so a used stereo amp that's bridgeable might be an affordable alternative.

My own opinion is that while "convenient", inside the sub enclosure is the absolute worst place for an amp, and many of them do not have sufficient heat sinking capacity for the thermal load, particularly if they are stuffed in a corner, or behind a couch etc. My video system uses a stand alone unit by Dayton (APA 150 ) - can be run fullrange, has all the filtering you might need, and is bridgeable. I have a pair actually, but at my standard listening levels, a single bridged is fine.

Edit- as for dealers in Victoria- Sound Hounds and Atlas Audio Video would be the only ones on my short list

For service on the Definitive, you could always try contacting them directly
http://www.definitivetech.com/education/faqs

Last edited:
Bob, the best long time speaker service guy I know of in Victoria (Aaron at Sound Hounds) were discussing this general subject just the other day. One of his biggest pains is getting service parts for on- board amps in all the commercial subs they sell. Many OEM units are difficult if not impossible to service as they may be potted in hot glue or other messy goop, direct replacements may be tricky and time consuming to acquire within warranty, and once out of warranty can be outrageously expensive if avaiable at all.
As a retail business would need to make some mark-up on the same type of units that would be available to DIYers, as often as not his best solution is to offer a traded in used sub when the cost of repair is excessive.
One might almost think they were designed to be disposable.;)
There are a variety of plate amp units available from folks like Partsexpress, or even Bob at CSS in Vancouver, but finding one that that will be an exact physical drop in and precisely replicate any custom functions yours might have had - so you might need to either modify enclosure to fit, or seal up it up, build a small box and run the plate amp outboard.
Frankly, I've stopped building in the amps, and if you're using in a HT system with LFE output on the receiver, you'd probably bypass or defeat the plate amp's XO in any case, so a used stereo amp that's bridgeable might be an affordable alternative.
My own opinion is that while "convenient", inside the sub enclosure is the absolute worst place for an amp, and many of them do not have sufficient heat sinking capacity for the thermal load, particularly if they are stuffed in a corner, or behind a couch etc. My video system uses a stand alone unit by Dayton (APA 150 ) - can be run fullrange, has all the filtering you might need, and is bridgeable. I have a pair actually, but at my standard listening levels, a single bridged is fine.
Edit- as for dealers in Victoria- Sound Hounds and Atlas Audio Video would be the only ones on my short list
For service on the Definitive, you could always try contacting them directly

FAQs | Definitive Technology

Thanks Chris for the great post...I was anticipating the sad news.
Need to shop for another sub.

By the way I dropped my plate amp @ Pangco Electronic Services in Victoria (John Pang) ... but I doubt that he'll be able to locate and fix the issue.

Merit Electronics LTD (Vincent) was closed. It's been closed for a while...and wasn't returning my calls. Sound Hounds they recommended me Merit Electronics.

And Atlas...I just don't know.

It's too bad...the plate amp looks in perfect condition (huge transformer too), but she's just not working anymore...I'm sad...$900 (including tax) down the drain...and the warranty a long time ago expired.

What's a good place for subwoofer shopping in Victoria, Chris?

I've built numerous ones, but have never bought a commercial sub, so I can't recommend any of the local dealers above the rest - other than the 2 already named, there's the big box stores - Best Buy (formally Future Shop)a and Visions at Millstream Village.

You could give Aaron at Sound Hounds a call (they're closed on Mondays) he might have one of the trade-in / used units I referred to above.

John's a competent technician, but access to schematics / service information can be difficult for non factory authorized repair shops, without which time will be wasted reverse engineering the product to sort out what's buggered, only to find that you're still snookered for getting "that custom part / module" .

I included the link to Definitive's site as one of the FAQs was advice on how to pursue repairs, including a phone number for customer service. Some of these firms are only too happy to help - others make it a memorable experience for the wrong reasons.

Then there's always the option of looking for a replacement amp that can be made to physically fit in the existing box (might need some minor mods) - Bob Reimer at CSS has a range of models available that don't require international shipping. Creative Sound - Speakers and Parts Product List

In numerous past builds, I've used the likes of the Yung and Dayton plate amps on the list, and am currently running a small living system with SDX7 woofer and surplus Fostex plate amp probably purchased from Steve Slater at Apex.
ApexJr Subwoofer Amps

So far the only DIY plate amp I've had fail was one with a remote control volume & XO frequency control unit.

I've built numerous ones, but have never bought a commercial sub, so I can't recommend any of the local dealers above the rest - other than the 2 already named, there's the big box stores - Best Buy (formally Future Shop)a and Visions at Millstream Village.
You could give Aaron at Sound Hounds a call (they're closed on Mondays) he might have one of the trade-in / used units I referred to above.
John's a competent technician, but access to schematics / service information can be difficult for non factory authorized repair shops, without which time will be wasted reverse engineering the product to sort out what's buggered, only to find that you're still snookered for getting "that custom part / module" .
I included the link to Definitive's site as one of the FAQs was advice on how to pursue repairs, including a phone number for customer service. Some of these firms are only too happy to help - others make it a memorable experience for the wrong reasons.
Then there's always the option of looking for a replacement amp that can be made to physically fit in the existing box (might need some minor mods) - Bob Reimer at CSS has a range of models available that don't require international shipping. Creative Sound - Speakers and Parts Product List
In numerous past builds, I've used the likes of the Yung and Dayton plate amps on the list, and am currently running a small living system with SDX7 woofer and surplus Fostex plate amp probably purchased from Steve Slater at Apex.
ApexJr Subwoofer Amps
So far the only DIY plate amp I've had fail was one with a remote control volume & XO frequency control unit.
Wow, another great informative post...thank you Chris.

♦ And the weather was lovely here today...all sun all moon all lunar eclipse.