The Weather

March is a really tough month. I can remember marching in the St. Pat's Day Parade in a Cleveland blizzard, and another time up 5th Avenue on a gloriously sunny day!

Our usually early arriving flora, heleboros etc. is still hiding under the snow. One jonquil has popped up about 4 inches in a field where a couple hundred are planted.

I have been known to play in the snow barefoot and shirtless. Some people like myself get used to it, especially when doing enough work to produce ample heat like shoveling snow.

She totally lost me with mosquito meditation. The expressions on her face were not quite as convincing as the cold either, especially when one flew up her nose. Several sailing and camping trips were abandoned in my youth due to clouds of mosquitoes attacking us like tiny vampires.

I grew up in Miami Florida and we didn't have air conditioning until I was in high school. Mosquitoes were NO BUENO!!!! I thought that God created them as a bad joke on mankind.

A mosquito, like a flea must have a protein meal from a warm blooded mammal as part of its reproductive cycle. They find you from the CO2 that you release and will relentlessly hunt you down until they suck your blood!

Well, that's probably Pittsburgh, a burg that both the Irish and Polish variants of the family fled in the 1890's. They were tired of the hills, and their GPS never worked.

Actually Manhattan. St Patrick's Day, when the good bars lock their doors. (Really!)

Or as the rude and quite politically incorrect line goes, "The day the Episcopalians and Jews line up on the sidewalks and watch their employees go marching down the street.

1890's and GPS? !!! (Not even 1980! just a bit later, 1984 at the earliest.)

In the text of below the video in her ice dunk, there are the words:

▷ And in the summer, why not try out the secret art of "mosquito meditation". You won't regret it! ;)

YouTube

After 62 years of swatting the little bloodsuckers before leaving Florida, I was curious and followed the link.....then I watched a couple more of her videos including a previous ice dunk where she lasted just a few seconds before hastily retreating from the water.

Here some of us are dumb enough to pay money for an experience called the Tough Mudder obstacle race. It is a 10 to 12 mile walk / run with 25 or so obstacles along the way to challenge your stamina / guts / level of sanity......

One of the obstacles is called the Artic Enema. It involves climbing up on a platform and sliding through a piece of corrugated drain pipe into a large container of water / mud / ice mix. It is constantly replenished with fresh bags of ice to keep it at 32F. You must then navigate the 30 foot length of the container going under a barrier in the middle before reaching the ladder to climb out at the other end. I was dumb enough to help look for a friends lost GoPro in the ice bath. I took my shoe off and found it with my foot.

The Artic Enema and the Electroshock Therapy (an encounter with an electric fence charger) are the most often bypassed obstacles on the course.

Attachments

• 21510439_x.jpg
    21510439_x.jpg
    915.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 22363945_x.jpg
    22363945_x.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 106
Before you participate again.....

Dizziness issues related to a middle ear problem (and some common sense) convinced me not to join the fun with a group from church last year. There is too much climbing over tall things. The next local event (Slippery Rock PA) isn't until Sept. Ill decide then whether to play, or just take pictures.

The doctors would of course be psychiatrists.

They would only tell me what I already know :)

stop by for lunch sometime soon.

A contract engineering job has sucked up most of my time for now, so I won't get out much for the next month or two.

One of these things is not like the other

So trade winds blowing all that sand into your freshly applied sunscreen notwithstanding, there’s reasons why folks visit here in the late winter.

Attachments

• E853DFB9-A8A3-4950-8456-3F8B1BEDA49D.jpeg
    E853DFB9-A8A3-4950-8456-3F8B1BEDA49D.jpeg
    540.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 31060151-A751-410B-995D-C91954D32582.jpeg
    31060151-A751-410B-995D-C91954D32582.jpeg
    784.5 KB · Views: 69