The Weather

Not far from George a bit of wind. About 90,000 homes without power.

Sherri saw a Facebook post last night that the schools were closed today. I thought it was rather odd since it is windy, but not terribly cold. It turns out that a power pole fell down dropping live power lines in the school bus depot.

The winds caused our power to blink or go out several times last night. Each blink causes the cable modem to lose sync even though I have it on a UPS. Loss of signal makes it start over, and it takes about 5 minutes to resync. No usable phone or internet and TV was unwatchable for the entire evening yesterday. Comcast doesn't see this as a problem, so won't fix it.

The Nolichucky crested on Feb 23 at 24,000cu-ft/sec. That is about twice what is considered Class 3 and class 4 whitewater.

The pond in my front yard has stopped rising. It made it about 20 feet up from my property line. So, technically I now have waterfront property.:D

Attachments

• LakeWoeBegone.jpg
    LakeWoeBegone.jpg
    925 KB · Views: 125

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> technically I now have waterfront property.

Your taxes will go UP.

I never lived in a wet/dry town before. Here my tax for way-inland woods is about 10 times lower than in-sight of sea/bay, about 20 times lower than the people who have prime headland waterfront.

Here went from freezing slop to glare ice. Going COLD until next month, so won't melt. Slid out for 400 pounds of salt. Barely makes a mostly-walkable path.

I owned lakefront (flowage) property in Northern Wisconsin for about a 20 years. I sold it. It took a few years to get over it as it was a great place. My property in Northern Lower Michigan has a tax rate of about 30 percent of the Wisconsin place and hopefully will not go up as the voters legalized recreational weed here last November.

The weather over the weekend was a bitch and after 21 years maybe a move is in the cards.....

Good luck out there.

Today was a nice sunny day 50F, just right for working outdoors, I have been working on a redesign of one of my products, the TSE amplifier. I spent day outdoors with a hot plate cooking some ferric chloride, and made a prototype PC board to verify the design and layout before spending a kilobuck on production boards.

Population and test run tomorrow.

Attachments

• P2360457_x.jpg
    P2360457_x.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 83
  • P2360458_x.jpg
    P2360458_x.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 67
Chilling on our lanai overlooking west Hana Bay, after a completely stress free drive to Kipahulu park and back ;) - it’s a balmy and only mildly humid 74F. If you get an early enough start on the last leg of that road, it’s mostly smooth sailing - but on the way back you’ll encounter all those tourists who decided on a later start and the Jeeps or Explorers and don’t quite get the meaning of “one lane bridge, yield to oncoming traffic” . Harder than you’d think fo 5 cars to back up around a hairpin corner with no shoulders. Almost as much fun as some of the roads in Bermuda.
Cal at least can relate to that.

Last edited:
Cold today?

No, not really.....40 something degrees F, and a clear blue sky full of sunshine. I however spent it in the basement soldering parts into that board I made yesterday. We had two nice days in a row, but depending on which method you use to view the Weather Channel (phone, PC, or TV set) we will get anywhere from 1 to 8 inches of snow overnight. I guess that IBM's Watson can't make up it's digital mind.

Cold today?
but depending on which method you use to view the Weather Channel (phone, PC, or TV set) we will get anywhere from 1 to 8 inches of snow overnight. I guess that IBM's Watson can't make up it's digital mind.

That's my experience too, though mostly among TWC, Apple Weather app and NOAA. I really don't get how forecasts could be so different in this "age of information." We were given a Google Home Mini by a relative for x-mas and the kids get a kick out of asking about the weather because of how contradictory it would be. Last night they asked what the weather would be tonight (last night). Google said "less than 0.01 inches of snow." But if they asked what the forecast was, Google would say that for the night there would be 2.4" of snow.

Ummm....

That's my experience too, though mostly among TWC, Apple Weather app and NOAA. I really don't get how forecasts could be so different in this "age of information."

Depends on where they get their data, how many points of data is included, and how the data is interpreted.

For instance, there is a vast number of small meteorological stations that share information freely in a network, but only for non-commercial institutions. Then you get geographical diversity and differences are more nuanced in the terrain.

Commercial institutions have to buy their data from whatever source they choose, if you pay less, you often get fewer data points to interpret.

All three of my sources were TWC. TWC is now owned by IBM and each version proudly displays the "With Watson" logo. Watson is their famous cluster computing system that was used to beat the experts on the popular Jeopardy TV game show.

In last nights case the app on my Android phone said 1-3 inches, while the start up banner on the same app said "expected snowfall in the next 48 hrs is 3-5 inches." Their radar on the PC version has colored bands to show the expected snow totals, and we were clearly in the middle of the 5-8 inch zone. I'm guessing that the TV and PC versions are updated faster than the android / IOS apps. Their Android app also crashes a lot, but the IOS app doesn't.

I left a 5 gallon bucket out in the middle of the yard away from any buildings or trees, and it had about 5 inches in it this morning. The driveway however was nearly snow free since we had two sunny days prior to the snow and the asphalt had lots of stored heat. The roads were fairly clear, the Walmart parking lot not bad, but the gym parking lot was its usual mess.....it's up on a hill and gets a lot of wind. It's always a mess and usually covered in ice / snow.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....Google said "less than 0.01 inches of snow." But if they asked what the forecast was, Google would say that for the night there would be 2.4" of snow..... BTW, the latter answer was pretty much correct.

We saw that blue mess coming. Totally missed us, not one flake.

FWIW: these internal image URLs have been valid for over a decade and give a good overview of our corner of the nation. We keep them bookmarked. Not always correct at ground-level: we sometimes are covered with blue and clear on the ground. Still good for estimating likely trends.

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/nx_mosaic_640x480_public/sir/inmaSIRNH_.gif
http://sirocco.accuweather.com/nx_mosaic_640x480_public/sir/inmasirNE.gif

If you're in Hana, and you happen to run into Dave and Sugar Hunkins, please introduce yourself as knowing the Weldons. You won't regret it.
Have a great time Chris. Retirement appears to be treating you well. Hello to Sue.

Too late dude, a quick exit this (Friday) morning, and leisurely :yikes: drive back, with one stop at the quite cute little family business “Garden of Eden” (who exactly will be in position to claim copyright infringement on that?) .
Then within 3 hrs, finished our penultimate ‘mericun experience- Costco shopping for a three week stay, and settled on at the Kihei time share condo.

Yes, so far no major complaints, and Susan says - “who? oh yeah Cal, the roofing guy, say hi back - so, Hi, Cal”

A barely endurable 22C here at 8:43PM local time.

Aloha po

Attachments

• B213BC03-7717-48B8-B099-6A3433062DEA.jpeg
    B213BC03-7717-48B8-B099-6A3433062DEA.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 80