The Weather

WTF is up with all these “100year” weather events?

We could not get flood insurance for less than $5K per year here because we are in a "100 year flood plain" area close to the Ohio river. The next door neighbor said that she has had water in her basement once in 55 years, so we didn't worry about it.

In the 3.5 years we have lived here she has had her basement flood 3 more times......WTF.....its all the land being stripped barren by the fracking industry. All that mud that was once held in place by the trees and their root systems is now free to wash down stream and deposit itself in the bottom of the creek. The creek is about 3 feet shallower than it was 5 years ago, so of course it overflows more.

The Gulf Of Mexico is several degrees warmer than it has been in decades. This has caused all the green algae blooms and red tide outbreaks that have trashed the Florida Gulf coast tourist industry. Nobody wants to swim with the (dead) fishes.

The warm moist air over the Gulf gets pushed further north than in previous years, causing a "snow bomb" event when it collides with a cold front from the north and then gets swept eastward by the jetstream.

Tuesday it was nice enough for me to go for a 5 mile walk outside, the first of the year. The Canadian Geese have left and the migrant birds have returned....they usually know more than the Weather Channel.

Today it's supposed to hit 75 F.....maybe walk #2. Saturday night.....snow! The birds will not be happy.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> today, at 14C, is not the coldest Canada Day ever

??? Some west of you, 57F (14C) was our *low* for the day, and then it got hot until rain/lightning moved in (which I think missed you). The idiot thermometer shows 90F/32C for a high, but I bet that was hard sun. My body says we hit 75F/24C in shade. Not cool!

Happy Canada Day! (The founding of Canada was noted in our newspaper's Today In History section.)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
They haven't got anything over wild turkeys.. LOL As long as they don't feel you are threatening them or their offspring they aren't nearly as aggressive as a tom turkey. We have lots of Canada Geese here particularly in winter, it's rather strange to see them swimming in salt water. (Quincy Bay / Boston Haabaah..) We have turkeys too.