The VeraFi Audio A40 Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The pot that controls the span is on the back of the VU meter. What you suggest would be to bypass that and add a dual gang pot to scale the speaker level signal that feeds it and have that accessible to the front or rear panel? A lot of complexity there for a feature that 99% of people don’t care about if 0dB really is max power. We simply define 0dB as 8vrms. (Which is typical max power in a domestic listening room). 😂

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, thats what i did with my vu meters. That way vu meters would bounce nicely to full scale in any arrangement.
There are those who will only need a watt or two. Those would like to have option to change from 8 watts to one or two.
Than there will be those who run ten to twenty watts. In that case needles would be pegged to the end, even at your 8 watts setting.
Pot on the back is totally doable. Just set the trimmers on the back of vu meeters to the max and insert stereo pot between speaker output and vu meters.
Just a suggestion.
I know its a little more complexity, but everyone would adjust the needles based on their needs. Sometimes, when you know you are going to crank it up, you turn the meters down as not to damage needles.
I always liked Technics vu meters, one of the best looking. Always had switch for 0.1X.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This was a big complaint on the EP 600.2SE amp. On a 600w amp, you hardly ever see the needle move for home setting.
X, I’ve had my EP 600.2SE for several weeks now and in daily use I’ve never seen the needles move. It’s also set to its lowest gain setting to be able to listen quietly at night without resorting to headphones. Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity without doing something like Adason suggested?