The VeraFi Audio A40 Amp

I am actually considering getting this black beauty, can you please expand a bit more about its sound signature
especially in comparison to Pass Labs products. Is it delicate like J2 or clear like f5... or robust like XA25? What is your
experience?

I am looking for an ultimate replacement for a low powered SE tube amp. What is the input impedance and gain?

Harmonic and intermodulation distortion vs freq chart would be appreciated as well.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It is the same performance as the Alpha Nirvana amp designed by Hugh Dean. The AN is the ultimate Class A amp IMO in that it has the classic SE Class A harmonic profile signature sound with dominant second harmonic and lower third harmonic and monotonically descending higher orders. The overall THD is low of order 0.005% at normal levels to 0.05% at higher power. The great thing is that the output impedance is very low (high damping factor circa 250) in the bass range so it has a lot of authority to drive woofers and the bass is incredibly snappy and powerful. Being full time Class A (cannot be made to go to a class AB) it is always smooth sounding as it does not have crossover distortion. You can read more about people’s listening impressions in the AN thread. The difference here is that it has been adapted to be commercial quality and reliability with built in soft start, remote on/off with solid state relay, and solid state relay speaker protection against DC and no thumps from turn on or off.

The sound is powerful and smooth with a wonderful midrange and clear highs with no sign of fatigue. It is an amp with engaging dynamics that will make you tap your feet and sing and dance along.

Input impedance is 22k and I think the gain is about 29dB.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/alpha-nirvana-39w-8ohm-class-a-amp.344540/

Recent listening impressions from a very experienced builder (Poseidonsvoice) and some comparisons with Pass amps here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/alpha-nirvana-39w-8ohm-class-a-amp.344540/post-7287208

There are others in the thread if you look.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Much appreciated XRK and AKSA for the relevant threads, very interesting. From the first few pages of the builders testimonies, I gathered
that there was two AN versions initially; one for predominantly 8 ohm loads and other served 4 ohms better.

Does this commercial version have the same preference and what loudspeaker impedance would be best fit?

Still browsing through the threads you kindly recommended hoping to find multi-tone test chart for intermodulation distortion data...

New SFPP soft start board installed, cleaned up wiring, connected VU meters, it’s all working now. I changed R value in CRC to drop voltage to 28.5v. Temps now at 55C on heatsink with cover on. This is 300mm deep heatsink. When we switch to 375mm deep it should be much cooler still. Nice to see VU meters dancing when the music gets rocking.

just my thought instead of ssr -> "protection" would probably look more understandable. your amps and your efforts are marvelous and worth learning from.

Reactions: 1 users
@xrk971 my thoughts were from design communication, I am finding it an interesting topic and also did not know there was courses on it

Fonts, Color etc eg subconscious message like if door has no handle push the door.

That’s why some watches are so attractive it’s all connected to what human mind finds beautiful

the mute for anti-thump is the manual switch on the front panel? so we engage it both when turning the amp on and off to prevent pop/thump? instead of VU meters have you considered a huge colored LED? LOL I know it's probably TOO LATE in the design process. I just think this infigo amp has a cool LED on the faceplate. also he has some cool internal leds so that you can take the top off and it looks like a high end gaming pc. It's definitely an alternate aesthetic from the usual high end amps. but people love colored LEDs now, have you seen how many smart led rope lights and things you can find on amazon now? also if you pick a color and stick with it with all your products, it can be good branding so people associate a look with the brand "oh vera fi amps are black with an evil red looking bar". I know you have a preamp design coming out, but have you considered your industrial design language and what it says about your brand?

method6-black.png

infigo-audio-2022-figure-6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Also, if you want to improve your personal brand as an audio designer and engineer you need to grow a huge head of hair. It's been proven by science that people have confidence in you if your hairdo is huge. that's why all orchestra conductors famously have huge hair. lol just a joke but half serious

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/latest/conductor-hair/krzysztof-urbanski/

Nelson Pass definitely takes advantage of this. That's why he's a household name. But Floyd Toole has short hair. that's why only serious audiophiles know him ;)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The anti thump is automatic. There is a 2 second delay at turn on and instantly turns off when power switch is pressed. This is controlled through discrete logic circuits and an RC timer. The mute switch allows manual muting whenever desired.

Big hair is too much of a hassle. I had long hair in my 20’s and it’s over rated. :)