The VeraFi Audio A40 Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Inoculator,
Thanks for your interest. I am stuck at finding time to build the verification board of the combined soft start/solid state relay/PSU main board for the A40. It’s basically a combination of 3 boards into one to simplify production and assembly. This will nudge me to work on it a little more. Thanks for asking.

Howdy all. Thanks to Hugh and XRK for bringing us Alpha Nirvana.

Please put me on purchase list for 1 complete amp, 8R, 117V 60Hz. I'd like to include any potential cap upgrades, etc.

I have 3 speaker models in rotation, all having:
  1. Benign phase angles
  2. Moderate ratio of minimum to nominal R
  3. Bass reflex w/natural cutoff around 70 Hz

Speaker #1 90 dB, 8R; speaker #2 96 dB, 11R. What risk if any exists from occasional use of speaker #3, 4R, true 96 dB?

Is there a "Standby" mains switch and if yes, what is mains current draw in Standby?

How long after switching from "Off" or "Standby" does it take to sound its best or say within 75%?

Thanks.

Last edited:
It is the same performance as the Alpha Nirvana amp designed by Hugh Dean. The AN is the ultimate Class A amp IMO in that it has the classic SE Class A harmonic profile signature sound with dominant second harmonic and lower third harmonic and monotonically descending higher orders. The overall THD is low of order 0.005% at normal levels to 0.05% at higher power. The great thing is that the output impedance is very low (high damping factor circa 250) in the bass range so it has a lot of authority to drive woofers and the bass is incredibly snappy and powerful. Being full time Class A (cannot be made to go to a class AB) it is always smooth sounding as it does not have crossover distortion. You can read more about people’s listening impressions in the AN thread. The difference here is that it has been adapted to be commercial quality and reliability with built in soft start, remote on/off with solid state relay, and solid state relay speaker protection against DC and no thumps from turn on or off.

The sound is powerful and smooth with a wonderful midrange and clear highs with no sign of fatigue. It is an amp with engaging dynamics that will make you tap your feet and sing and dance along.

Input impedance is 22k and I think the gain is about 29dB.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/alpha-nirvana-39w-8ohm-class-a-amp.344540/

Recent listening impressions from a very experienced builder (Poseidonsvoice) and some comparisons with Pass amps here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/alpha-nirvana-39w-8ohm-class-a-amp.344540/post-7287208

There are others in the thread if you look.
YMMV but I personally find Poseidonsvoice opinions to be pure unadulterated gospel and nothing else.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Howdy all. Thanks to Hugh and XRK for bringing us Alpha Nirvana.

Please put me on purchase list for 1 complete amp, 8R, 117V 60Hz. I'd like to include any potential cap upgrades, etc.

I have 3 speaker models in rotation, all having:
  1. Benign phase angles
  2. Moderate ratio of minimum to nominal R
  3. Bass reflex w/natural cutoff around 70 Hz

Speaker #1 90 dB, 8R; speaker #2 96 dB, 11R. What risk if any exists from occasional use of speaker #3, 4R, true 96 dB?

Is there a "Standby" mains switch and if yes, what is mains current draw in Standby?

How long after switching from "Off" or "Standby" does it take to sound its best or say within 75%?

Thanks.

There is a mains cutoff rocker switch on the IEC that completely turns everything off. In standby, there is 5W (max) current draw for the AC/DC 5v PSU to provide power for the logic control on the SSR switch.

Once switched on, music can play within 5 seconds. For it to reach full steady state temperature takes about an hour but I think full performance is within 2 minutes.

90 to 96dB sensitive 8R to 11R speakers should work great. 4ohms but 96dB should work well too. I have driven XSD which are 4ohms and 93dB and it works well. Depends on what your max SPL needs are.

I found impedance and frequency response charts for my custom Selah Voce 3 way speakers.. my new plan is to use the A40 to power them in my nearfield setup with an eversolo dmp-a6 with upgraded linear power supply as the streamer/dac/preamp

it should be fine at non-extreme volume levels right?

lol also any update on development of the a40?

Attachments

• Voce Impedance.jpg
    Voce Impedance.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Voce 0-15-30-45 degrees horizontal response.jpg
    Voce 0-15-30-45 degrees horizontal response.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Voce Vertical Response.jpg
    Voce Vertical Response.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 56
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The reasons for delay include finishing up some other projects for delivery to our customers. But a large part of it was that we are also waiting on some major custom made components like the toroidal power transformers and chassis manufacturing always takes time. There are a lot of parts in a product like this. But we will get this built and moving soon. It’s our flagship product in XSA Labs / Vera-Fi Audio, so it will be done soon.

1696507430422.jpeg

1696507479278.jpeg

1696507539613.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
We are making great progress with the latest pre production prototype build.
90cbc2b6-cde8-4277-b75f-9174c330e706.jpeg

The front panel PCB for the VU meters and switches with Micromatch ribbon cable connectors look totally clean and pro:
1707915681103.jpeg

Operation of power on / standby solid state relays (SSR) and soft start SSR, and speaker protection solid SSR are working nominally. Front panel mute switch controls the SSR and that is working nominally. A lot of SSR’s - no mechanical relays on board.

Some measurements of distortion too. Here is distortion vs frequency for 1W - note consistent level of dominant second harmonic and very little higher orders:
1707915025538.jpeg

At higher power of 30W, second harmonic is still dominant and higher orders are monotonically descending in relative level:
1707915092826.jpeg

And distortion components as a function of power:
1707915558105.jpeg

The amp is working well as designed. DC offset is currently about 13mV. We are working on reducing this by adjusting the LTP tail current more precisely.

A great job by Keantoken on this verification build.

Funny thing is, I don’t think Keantoken has played music through it yet! 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
On the bench is a working A40 amp undergoing calibration of the VU meters. We decided to set the meters to 0dB at 8Wrms into 8ohms (8Vrms) vs 40Wrms. Because… customers like to see the meters dance with music playing at casual domestic volumes. If we set it at max power, it hardly moves and people complain or wonder if it’s working. 8W is a round number that most casual playing hits occasionally. Thats about 94dB at 1m for a typical 85dB sensitive 8ohm speaker.

1708022379544.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
DC operating points on this unit are:
  • 1.67A/1.63A DC bias current through the output stage MOSFETs
  • DC offset is 6mV and 19mV
  • Rails at 29.5Vdc. This is a bit "hot" and probably can be reduced by 1.5V or so for production.
  • Heatsink temps are 55C for a 25C ambient room temp. (29.5vdc x 2 x 1.67A = 97W) this should drop a bit if we lower the rail voltage.
  • LTP tail current is 2.6mA
We are carefully fine tuning the front panel LED's, characterizing a wide variety and choosing the appropriate resistor to set the current so that the light output is circa 15 to 30 mcd. This is a value that is bright enough to see but will not blind you or annoy you when room lights are dim. It depends on the color too as green is very bright and blue can be annoying if more than 130uA of current. In the past, I have used a rule of thumb of 2mA for LEDs and this appears to be about 10x way too high for visual indicators on stereo equipment!

Reactions: 1 user
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
On the bench is a working A40 amp undergoing calibration of the VU meters. We decided to set the meters to 0dB at 8Wrms into 8ohms (8Vrms) vs 40Wrms. Because… customers like to see the meters dance with music playing at casual domestic volumes. If we set it at max power, it hardly moves and people complain or wonder if it’s working. 8W is a round number that most casual playing hits occasionally. Thats about 94dB at 1m for a typical 85dB sensitive 8ohm speaker.

View attachment 1273612
Typically, vu meters are set 0dB at max power, then there is 0.1X switch for one tenth of that.

Reactions: 1 user