• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

Solved the hum!

Sorry for the rapid fire posting (can you tell I'm excited?!), but I seem to have solved it.

The ground from the L channel PCB (which, recall, has nothing landed to it) was passing right over the Antek torroid. I unplugged this from the SLB ground hub AND I moved both it and the L channel speaker ground as far away from the torroid as possible. They both still land on the SLB hub. This seems to have solved the hum issue.

Photo attached.

Wahoo! Thanks all for the quick help. Now I can nicely dress the cables :D.

Attachments

• IMG_20190808_161106.jpg
    IMG_20190808_161106.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 613
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Sorry for the rapid fire posting (can you tell I'm excited?!), but I seem to have solved it.

Wahoo! Thanks all for the quick help. Now I can nicely dress the cables :D.

Excellent work Metaphile!!
It’s very satisfying to tame the “HUM” beast, we’ve all been there :rolleyes:

When you clean up all your wiring make sure to twist all of the AC wiring, primary and secondary side of the Trafo.

Enjoy your new F6!! :cheers:

Hello SLB looks promising. I have few questions.

1. The issue here below Tom mentioned is affect SLB? Supply Filtering and why Capacitance Multipliers are NOT the Answer

2. Is there any reason commercial amp pioneers such as (goldmund, accuphase, Pass, krell, MF, gryphon, burmester...) using mostly crc instead of cm or regulated ps. And many out there and i also hear that there is sonic improvement when they replace regulated ps with simple CRC. There must be something affect sound instead of ripple, i mean some smps have great ripple performance but not a common choice for amplifiers.

Thanks in advance.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For Class AB amps with a high intrinsic power supply ripple-rejection ratio (PSRR) a cap multiplier isn’t necessary as the amp takes care of the ripple induced hum. So using just a CRC provides the cost savings and a very low impedance current supply is presented to the amp.

For a pure Class A amp where the bias current runs at it maximum despite whether or not any music is playing, these amps have a well defined maximum current they need - it’s the same all the time. Many of these amps, including many single ended Class A, have no PSRR to speak of: that is, ANY ripple on the supply rail shows up as audio signal on the speaker. This is the ideal situation to use an SLB or “ripple eater” based power supply. The SLB provides the amp with the PSRR it lacked.

However, as Tomchr points out, the cap multiplier may be more prone to mains input voltage variations to induced hum. I haven’t experienced this with the SLB - but a good things that helps audio sound quality is a good UPS - it provides active mains voltage stabilization and cleans it up to remove spurious motor induced noise from heavy equipment connected to the mains. The UPS also does a very good job cleaning up EMI/RFi contamination of the mains.

The SLB is probably not needed for a typical Class AB amp with circa -70dB or better PSRR. But for most pure Class A amps we find on the forums around here, it does a great job of forcing convenience and ultra low ripple. 5A is the maximum current it was designed for and still run optimally. 5A is a lot of current and you won’t get hot rectifiers and their associate headroom loss using the SLB.

SLB v2 (May 3, 2019) Production Board Top View:
754700d1557114588-slb-smooth-butter-active-rect-crc-cap-mx-class-power-supply-gb-slb-v2-pcb-top-view-png

BOM (txt and csv format) and pdf schematic are below.

OK (and apologies if I missed the post), I can find the BoM for the dual rail board (above) but is there a posted BoM for the single rail unit somewhere? I might have missed the link in Post #1.

I know that there have been at least one variance from the dual rail BoM as per this:
Hey guys, we just discovered a small error with the orientation of Q5, the BD139 used in the SLB SR board. Pin 1 is denoted by the square pad, this will have the part’s front side in contact with heatsink if you use the large Fischer style heatsink. This part really doesn’t need such a large heatsink and a small sheet metal stamped or C channel aluminum one would work fine. Small heatsinks like that can be flipped around to the “back” of the BD139. Alternatively, one can mount a BD139 with its front towards the heatsink. Make sure you use a non conductive shoulder washer or bushing on the mounting screw to prevent it from contacting the metal pad on the back of the BD139.

My apologies for not catching this earlier - but should not be a problem as long as you mount the part with pin 1 on the square pad.

The SLB dual rail does not have this issue.
So, it's not just a simple ... order half.

I'll go through the details myself but if there's an official BoM, that would save time. It's pretty easy to import the detail into octopart but avoidance of data handling errors is always preferred.

You need to apply a real load. But adjustment range probably no more than 1v. I recall about 25v was as low as I got on M2X. It works fine and you get more headroom on the amp. There is a way to get more drop by changing resistors.

I was following one of your earlier posts:

I have found through trial and error that the Antek 3222 (300VA) 22v provides about the right 24-25vdc rail under a 1.3A bias current load typically used on Pass 25w amp designs. This has been verified to work on my M2X as well as member SLk23’s M2X. Just one 300VA trafo is enough

The way to estimate the trafo rating is decide what voltage you want under load, say 24v. Add 3v for cap Mx dropout, add 5v for sag, so 24v +8v is 32v. Divide that by 1.4 and that’s the zero load rated AC voltage. 32/1.4=22.8v and so 22 is the closest one.

Is this always going to be a trial and error. Or once the voltage drop of a transformer under load is decided, we can compute the output voltage?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The trial and error is related to the actual voltage sag of the trafo under your specific load in amps. Antek is different than Talema, and that is different than Toroidy, etc. You can go by the transformer manufacturer's spec sheet, but that rarely gives the sag vs load. They will quote a minimum voltage at some load. Regarding the adjustment pot - I have found that going with about 3v drop (only adjustable circa 1v to 1.5v range) gives good performance of low ripple. In general, I have found that voltage sag under typical Class A loads is between 3 and 5v from un-loaded condition for Antek's. That's the thing with capacitance multipliers - they are mot voltage regulators, but voltage smoothing devices. You can't pick your exact voltage.

The trial and error is related to the actual voltage sag of the trafo under your specific load in amps. Antek is different than Talema, and that is different than Toroidy, etc. You can go by the transformer manufacturer's spec sheet, but that rarely gives the sag vs load. They will quote a minimum voltage at some load. Regarding the adjustment pot - I have found that going with about 3v drop (only adjustable circa 1v to 1.5v range) gives good performance of low ripple. In general, I have found that voltage sag under typical Class A loads is between 3 and 5v from un-loaded condition for Antek's. That's the thing with capacitance multipliers - they are mot voltage regulators, but voltage smoothing devices. You can't pick your exact voltage.

Understood, to add on top of that, I think my house voltage matters to as that affects the output of my transformer.