• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Amazing work by JPS64 in progress for the new Alpha Big Boy with Buttah (ABBB) 52w Class A amp.

All external power actives (2 MOSFETs and 2 BJTs) connected with high current Molex quick disconnect PCB mounted connectors.

All one needs to do to connect amp are 4 Faston spades from transformer secondaries, two Faston spades for speaker, audio input 2-pin JST, and chassis/earth GND Faston spade. OCB can be mounted anywhere (on floor of amp, etc).

attachment.php

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
When shipping PCBs, I wrap them tightly in photocopier paper and use cellophane tape to hold the wraps in place. Usually two complete wrap+tape operations per board, to guard against surface scratches. If it's an expensive board, next comes a bubble "sleeve", held in place by several rubber bands, to guard against drops and rough handling. Then, tightly bundled in a Tyvek tear-resistant envelope and more rubber bands. Put the whole thing in a standard #0 bubble mailer, affix lots of Scotch brand clear shipping tape (cheap at Costco), out it goes.

_

Attachments

• slv2.png
    slv2.png
    489.1 KB · Views: 497
For an M2X build, for example, I understand that's optimal to have a separate PSU for each channel, each with its own transformer and SLB-DR. If I don't go with that approach is there any advantage in using two SLB-DRs with one transformer (e.g. Antek AN-3222) compared to one SLB-DR?

No, you might actually generate more ground loops by connecting two SLBs in parallel from a single set of secondaries. Just use one SLB and it’s GND as the star hub. I am using just one and it works fine on my M2X. Never been quieter. No ground loops. I have Antek AS-3222.

Thanks, good to know. This is my first amplifier build and I've got some questions that are pretty basic. For instance, with one AS-3222 and one SLB, how do the wires from the AS-3222 connect to the SLB? Does one pair of wires from the first xfmr secondary go to AC1 on the SLB and the second pair to AC2? And what about the AS-3222 purple ground wire?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I’ll post a schematic diagram later. For now, connect secondaries of the Antek to the AC input of the SLB. Two pairs (the wires from Antek are grouped blue green per pair by proximity). The purple is a static shield that connects to earth ground/chassis ground - the same as the chassis/return pin on SLB (one separated by NTC 8D-20). From SLB positive and negative those go to amp +ve and -ve spade terminals. The ground from the amp goes to ground of SLB. The speaker return goes to GND of SLB. And I have found that the ground of the RCA input of you send to to GND of SLB, is whiter than letting it go to GND of the M2X board. Basically, all GND connection go radically to the SLB star hub. The star hub then connects to the chassis and earth GND via the NTC 8D-20 and 22nF 2X safety cap. The iEC inlet should have a fuse and GND from there goes to chassis GND and earth GND bus that SLB pin connects to. Chassis GND should never inadvertently touch the clean 0v star hub GND except through the NTC. The mains from IEC should go through an NTC 8D-20 or CL60 NTC before going to the red/black primaries of the Antek. This is to prevent turn in surge and it reduces hum somewhat. That should get you started.

Hi X, you certainly are tempting all the members with your offerings so far, what with the Apha 20, Yarra pre and chassis, Melb DB, BA18 DB, SLB and now the ABBB, you will be leaving yourself with no where to go. Unless of course you guys have an amazing new design up your sleeves.

Anyway if the ABBB becomes a GB, then I will take 2 off boards for a future project. By the way are you intending to supply the 2 off ABBB 52watt class A channels with just the one SLB power supply?

Regards,

Gary..

Looking forward to seeing the schematic and parts list for the new ABBB, when you are ready to release these.

I like to get all parts together and ordered well and truly before starting on a project, but I gather all documentation and tid bits of info as they appear here for future reference, it helps a lot with the build and testing phase.

At this stage do you know the dimensions of the ABBB single channel PCB?

Certainly fully featured - in fact everything but the kitchen sink it seems.

Maybe the other functions you newly mention on a separate snap apart PCB or two, or are you looking to add all of them to the single channel amp board. I would look at start up delay to be separate if it has mains voltage on the PCB at least.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I’ll post a schematic diagram later. For now, connect secondaries of the Antek to the AC input of the SLB. Two pairs (the wires from Antek are grouped blue green per pair by proximity). The purple is a static shield that connects to earth ground/chassis ground - the same as the chassis/return pin on SLB (one separated by NTC 8D-20). From SLB positive and negative those go to amp +ve and -ve spade terminals. The ground from the amp goes to ground of SLB. The speaker return goes to GND of SLB. And I have found that the ground of the RCA input of you send to to GND of SLB, is whiter than letting it go to GND of the M2X board. Basically, all GND connection go radically to the SLB star hub. The star hub then connects to the chassis and earth GND via the NTC 8D-20 and 22nF 2X safety cap. The iEC inlet should have a fuse and GND from there goes to chassis GND and earth GND bus that SLB pin connects to. Chassis GND should never inadvertently touch the clean 0v star hub GND except through the NTC. The mains from IEC should go through an NTC 8D-20 or CL60 NTC before going to the red/black primaries of the Antek. This is to prevent turn in surge and it reduces hum somewhat. That should get you started.

I forgot that I already posted this on Melbourne DB for M2X thread:

Melbourne Daughterboard for M2X

757867d1558362740-melbourne-daughterboard-m2x-b38f0547-9251-4663-a117-2504ed9929cd-jpg