• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey guys, we just discovered a small error with the orientation of Q5, the BD139 used in the SLB SR board. Pin 1 is denoted by the square pad, this will have the part’s front side in contact with heatsink if you use the large Fischer style heatsink. This part really doesn’t need such a large heatsink and a small sheet metal stamped or C channel aluminum one would work fine. Small heatsinks like that can be flipped around to the “back” of the BD139. Alternatively, one can mount a BD139 with its front towards the heatsink. Make sure you use a non conductive shoulder washer or bushing on the mounting screw to prevent it from contacting the metal pad on the back of the BD139.

My apologies for not catching this earlier - but should not be a problem as long as you mount the part with pin 1 on the square pad.

The SLB dual rail does not have this issue.

For those of you who have ordered the SLB SR already, so sorry for not catching this error before producing the boards. If you have heartburn with your BD139 not having its back face the heatsink - let me know via PM and I will order you a v2 replacement board. But the v1 SLB SR boards are fully functional with Q5 orientation following pin 1 to the square pad.

Hi X,

Thanks for the SLB single rail doc's update info. As I want to buy a couple of these and you mention version 2 as having the fix done for Q5 orientation - when will these be ready for delivery from your Etsy store. I will hold off ordering till available.

Can you advise on this, thanks.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
GB status update.
analogdiy - 2 SLB - GB2
Bigaudioscotto - 2 SLB - GB2
Noviygera - 2 SLB - GB2
Asuslover - 1 SLB - GB2
Morde - 1 SLB - GB2 - Preorder Placed
ppap64 - 6 SLB - GB2 - Preorder Placed
axelcs -2 SLB - GB2
jameshunton - 2 SLB - GB2
80eengr - 2 SLB - GB2 - Preorder Placed
douggoldberg - 1 SLB
sst4270 - 2 SLB
Algar_emi - 2 SLB
RaptorLightning - 1 SLB + 2 Alpha 20 - Preorder Placed

Hi X,

Is there a formula to work out the AC volts in needed for a particular DCV out? I gather the normal forward voltage drop does not exist because of the new rectifier arrangement, and some volts are lost across the CX circuit. I was hoping to see in the first post a rule-of-thumb approximation for ACV in versus DCV out. For example, if I wanted a DC supply with +/- 28V or +/- 30V, then what ACV from the transformer would be required. Or is this info somewhere else?

Many thanks!
BK

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Bkdog,
It's approximate but go about it like this.

Decide what you need at the amp rail, say 28v. Under a Class A load of circa 3A, the voltage in an Antek sags quite a bit. Less so in other trafos. But a 300VA Antek will sag about 5v. Less is 500VA. The cap mx is about a 3v loss. The CRC is about 0.5v drop. The bridge is negligible. So add all of these losses to the voltage needed: 28v+5v+3v+0.5v=36.5v. That's what you need to be the nominal no-load voltage of the trafo. So now divide by 1.41 to get the AC volt rating of the trafo or 25.9v. The trafos come in specified increments and either a 25v or 28v will work. I would err on the bigger side and get a 28v 300VA. But if getting a 500VA, get the 25v. I have gotten the wrong one several times (like 3x now) and always too small, so I typically get the higher voltage one. It's easier to drop voltage than to make it.

Hope that helps.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A couple of warnings about constructing and testing the SLBs. Never connect them to a load without the large pass transistors plugged into the Molex jack. If plugged in, make sure the wires are wired correctly (trace each one yourself). If you do connect the load and apply power without the big C5200 or A1943 connected, all the current passes through the smaller TO126 transistor and the R15 resistor (which will smoke and then blow like a fuse). It's a good thing that it blows as it protects the BD139/140 from melting.

Other things to be careful of: make sure the BD139/140's are not installed backwards. The square pad is pin 1.

Make sure your electrolytics are not in backwards.

Both Vunce and myself have melted the 680R resistor leading from the BD139/140 because we forgot to connect the pass transistor (or did not connect it securely).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think I am going to build a pair of the SLB SR's and use them on a fresh set of JPS64 MoFo boards. These will be heavy bias MoFo's running a hot 26v and 2.8A. Should work out very well with both the SLB SR pass-BJT and MoFo MOSFET on same copper pad of a single CPU cooler.

645063d1510344314-build-mofo-mofo-tht-png

Last edited:
We are doing that with ABBB, and these JPS64 MoFo boards I have on hand already, and the SLB SR needs something to power. Well, is there interest in a single board MoFo SLB?

Yes, it was the ABBB stuff that prompted my post.

I would be interested in a single board SLB SR/MoFo but if it doesn't happen it won't be the end of the world as I already have my pairs of SLB SRs and DIY Audo Store MoFo boards.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I built up a pair of the SLB SR’s last night. Still need to connect the pass 2SA1943 BJT to some flying leads and the Molex connector. These are set up to handle any project up to 47vdc output. Will probably use them on some new MoFos next. CPU coolers ones this time with JPS64 PCBs.

Attachments

• 7F20393A-8E38-4F48-8E18-FB961472B056.jpg
    7F20393A-8E38-4F48-8E18-FB961472B056.jpg
    849.2 KB · Views: 522