This layout allows for a variety of the output caps:

• 1 x 35mm D, 10mm LS
  • 2 x 22mm D, 10mm LS
  • 3 x 18mm D, 7.5mm LS

Attachments

• SIT3X-OS2-b4-Schade-4b5-clean.pcb.jpg
    SIT3X-OS2-b4-Schade-4b5-clean.pcb.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 656
Something we're probably going to need is a discharge resistor from speaker out to ground. Usually 1.0k, can be 1/2W or 1W.

Now about power supply caps. These have a similar importance as the speaker output coupling cap that we have been discussing. I have tried making adjustments and improvements to all of the big Papa amps I've built so far (M2x, Aleph J, F6), and all of them have shown improvements to the sound when the final stage of power supply caps are treated as if they are in the signal path. Which, in fact, they are.

With the M2x, I started by adding motor run bypass caps to the power terminals on each channel board, and finished by upgrading the rectifiers and adding smaller, high quality caps (Nichicon KA, 1000 uF) to the final bank of PSU capacitors. Having done this, I then did a similar thing with the PSU for my Aleph J, which was already had a heavily filtered CRCRC supply with a low ripple voltage. Still, adding Panasonic FC 1000 uF caps on the final bank of the PSU made a noticeable improvement. The F6 needed something different, in that there was already a good set of higher frequency bypass present on the output of the SLBs that I was using; these needed a set of 24,000 uF bulk caps (Kemet ALS70) to properly complete the circuit.

For the SIT-3X currently under development, C72 deserves similar attention.

Last edited:
I have PCB layouts I was about to send out for fabrication. Then I discovered some circuit modifications that would eliminate the output capacitors as follows:

• Add low pass filter of the OS output to create a DC offset FB signal.
  • Add one resistor from the FB signal to the JFET gate node of the folded-cascode FE.
  • Several minor modifications are required for the J1 and M1 bias circuits.
The net result is about 18dB of DC offset feedback to stabilize the output offset, enabling the elimination of the output capacitors. Tests of the power up/down transients and the AC response look fine.

I do not know if this change will really improve anything or not, but it is an interesting result. I am still making tweaks and I will post the circuits soon.

I don’t mind output caps so much. The DC feedback into the front end might cause more problems than the one it is trying to solve.
Which of the PSU configurations is recommended? I was already working on a 90V supply for the Singing Bush, so it would be straightforward to convert to –90V. Or I can still use that Antek 1000VA transformer with quad 34V secondaries for +/– 47V.

I am planning on the +/-47V supplies with the simple cap. multiplier on V+, but the OS circuit and PCB can be used either way. If you go for a single -90V supply then the FE with need its own power supplies, and the OS PCB will require a few different caps and a jumper around the cap. multiplier. I see no advantage with the -90V version.

Then it is +/– 47V. The cap multiplier on the positive rail should keep the FET sources at a negative voltage as the bias begins to stabilize. I would still use 50V electrolytic output cap(s), but don't see a need for bi-polar.
What is your plan for the FE power? Last I saw, it was using +/– 45V.

Here are the current PCB layouts for the non-DC coupled version of the SIT3X. You will see the the folded-cascode FE board actually has the DC feedback provision, but it does not need to be used.
Unless errors are detected, these are ready for fabrication.

Attachments

• SIT3X-OS2-Schade-5a8a-clean.pcb.jpg
    SIT3X-OS2-Schade-5a8a-clean.pcb.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 463
  • FCFE-fb-1b.pcb.jpg
    FCFE-fb-1b.pcb.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 421
  • SIT3X-HS-OS2-FCFE-fb-1.pcb.jpg
    SIT3X-HS-OS2-FCFE-fb-1.pcb.jpg
    778.9 KB · Views: 154