The SIT-3X Amplifier

Does the Antek 1000VA transformer actually have four 35V secondary windings?

No, that is why the preferred capacitor configuration shares 4 caps per rail in the first stage between channels and splits into 2 caps per rail in the second stage of the CRC filter.

Attachments

• PS-caps2-20200818-1.pcb.jpg
    PS-caps2-20200818-1.pcb.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 530
Does the Antek 1000VA transformer actually have four 35V secondary windings?

Something I had not considered before. How about stacking 2 toroidial transformers with 1/2 of VA rating of the single transformer? The vertical height would be about 6.2", the diameter decreases, and the Antek price is about the same. Now you have 4 secondary windings and can really have independent power supplies for the 2 channels.
The cap board below would do just fine.

Attachments

• PS-caps1-20200818-1.pcb.jpg
    PS-caps1-20200818-1.pcb.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 527
  • PS-caps1-20200818-1-bottom.pcb.jpg
    PS-caps1-20200818-1-bottom.pcb.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
That would also be my preferred configuration, because I already have suitable toroids with enclosures. It would also allow me a few more mounting configurations. I was going to use this build as an <cough> "excuse" to purchase a shiny new 1000 VA Toroidy I've had my eyes on. I may still go that route. Either way, If you do choose to offer options, I would order both. It will open up some possibilities.

I word of warning: I have not been able to confirm the accuracy of the thermal resistance quoted for the Store 5U 400mm heatsinks. If anyone out there has a build using them, can you provide the following information:

• heatsink depth (300mm, 400mm, ..)
  • heatsink height (210mm for all of them?)
  • watts dissipated per heatsink
  • temperature rise: T_sink-T_ambient)
The Store quotes 0.14C/W temperature rise. I am having a hard time believing that number given the geometry of the heatsink fins.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I can confirm the dimensions. See attached. Note that there are two heatsinks per side. So, heatsink depth on the 400mm is 2 x 200mm. See pics. Apologies for poor lighting.

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

Note, the specs for each sink is 0.28C/W. Note my dodoness, in that I don't know if you just cut that in half for two sinks... but wanted to be sure to clarify. Here is the page.

40mm Heatsink Information – diyAudio Store

200 x 40 x 210 0.28C/W

I did a quick Google search, but I am unable to determine how I could measure the last two points. I've read a few posts that state that we should generally "de-rate" them by 25%. However, I truly don't know. If you have a simple way to measure, I'd be willing to give it a go.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Plasnu - That makes sense. :D

Ihquam - Thinking about it a bit more... (That's dangerous for me)... I can very easily take the following measurements and provide information about set-up for the amp in the chassis.

• Bias current and rail voltage => W per device
  • Number of devices per heatsink x W per device => Total W per heatsink dissipated
  • Temp of devices on package
  • Temp of external surface on heatsink at hottest spot
  • Ambient temp
Would that help?

As far as I understand, the heatsink C/W is simply proportional to its length. This chart always let me wonder how they calculated (or measured) it because 120 and 165 do not. Probably it's whole enclosure's C/W.

I think Lynn is asking if the C/W is accurate in real life. Looking at the dimensions of the heat sink vs. the claimed C/W, the C/W looks to be optimistic.
Has anyone used this chassis, 5U, and can verify the watts strapped on the heat sink vs. the heat sink delta temperature?

For example a F5 Turbo at 40 volt rails and 2.25 amps = 180 watts per side. This would result in a 25C rise in temperature if the .14 C/W is correct. Can anyone verify that the store heat sinks can support 180 watts per channel and only have a 25 C temperature rise?

Rush

@Rush, I know exactly what you mean. I bought similar sized heatsinks hoping they work for my amp, but they did not perform as good as this chart. That's why I guessed their chart includes dissipation from the other part of chassis. Maybe serrated fins helps, which suppose to dissipate a little better than flat fins. I don't know how better, though... Let's wait the report from real users.

Last edited:
Plasnu - That makes sense. :D

Ihquam - Thinking about it a bit more... (That's dangerous for me)... I can very easily take the following measurements and provide information about set-up for the amp in the chassis.

• Bias current and rail voltage => W per device
  • Number of devices per heatsink x W per device => Total W per heatsink dissipated
  • Temp of devices on package
  • Temp of external surface on heatsink at hottest spot
  • Ambient temp
Would that help?

Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for. And the measurements of heatsink temperature at the hotspots and near the edges too.