The marriage

Now that you told me, the differences are obvious but to be honest this morning couldn’t spot a difference 🤓

When I use the pcbs bridged I need only a small gnd pad on the pcb, correct??

edit: I need one small wire that comes from the ps and goes to gnd on the pcb and also the gnd from the input goes to the pcb so 2 pads are needed. I attached also the copied schematic

Attachments

• Screenshot_18.jpg
    Screenshot_18.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Screenshot_19.jpg
    Screenshot_19.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20.jpg
    Screenshot_20.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_21.jpg
    Screenshot_21.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Screenshot_22.jpg
    Screenshot_22.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
CCS, series zeners are there to shave effective DC voltage from chip, thus decreasing dissipation, it can be only better for stability

yes, for LM 334 you can use whatever bjt you want, taking care of dissipation of part - that's why I used TO92 part, which is also easier to solder than smd; pcb size already being defined with other things and I'm using smd only when space is scarce

series resistors in series to CCS chip - antioscillation measures - damping anything called stray in connected traces

edit - why 120R and not 100R

dunno, irrelevant difference, mood reasons

naah, Mighty ZM is not having moods, ZM is having State of Inspiration

:rofl:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
while I'm in Office ..... :clown:

@twitchie asked for Pooh gerber files

here it is (error around ZD103 taken care of) , everything in jumble; reminder - CCS Daughterboards - posts #7 and #8

enjoy!

Attachments

• Gerbers Pooh.zip
    130.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Pooh schm.png
    Pooh schm.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Pooh render top.png
    Pooh render top.png
    485.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Pooh render bottom.png
    Pooh render bottom.png
    367.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Pooh parts placement top.png
    Pooh parts placement top.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Pooh Eagle sshot.png
    Pooh Eagle sshot.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 199
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Now that you told me, the differences are obvious but to be honest this morning couldn’t spot a difference 🤓

When I use the pcbs bridged I need only a small gnd pad on the pcb, correct??

edit: I need one small wire that comes from the ps and goes to gnd on the pcb and also the gnd from the input goes to the pcb so 2 pads are needed. I attached also the copied schematic

in case of bridged arrangement, GND itself is outa energy path of amp itself, while still serving as reference and also as current return for few parts of circuit - it is involved in function of T101 (ring of two CCS)

edited post #24, 120R explained

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Why do you use 120r resistors in series with the zeners around the ccs and not 100r ?
For the ccs can I use same bc846a smd instead of bc546?

if you're asking about LM334 CCS, then it is BC556 or BC856

if you're asking about small CCS glued to negative rail, serving fro Schade circuit operation, then yes - use either BC546 or BC846

dissipation is ..... nuttin'

I was asking about the schade ccs and the resistors that are in series with the diodes on the 3092 ccs.
All clear now about that.

Now what is a bit unclear is the schade operation. When used bridge wouldn’t the effect cancel out?
The idea of shade operation is to have a more luscious sound signature because of the negative phase second harmonic. Bridge operation will tend to cancel out almost all of the even harmonics leading to a very different sound signature; I am guessing it would be more authoritative (depending on speakers) but not as lush.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Schade is possibility

How you're going to use it depends only of you and what outcome is going to be, stays to be determined

there are always ways to shape sum output THD Spectra, as I succeeded in https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...hatever-aleph-x-servo-for-greedy-boyz.318319/

in this case, just from top of my head, it can be done having unequal Schade "amount" in two phases

as is, you will most likely use Boo and Pooh without NFB loop, so amp is not going to be SUSY, in which case whatever you do with halves is not going to be diminished with NFB action

edit: yes, of course, even harmonics are going to be nulled due to bridged/antiphase OS arrangement, but - as said - if you unbalance two halves deliberately, total nulling is impossible

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
probably yes, but I'm finding much better approach of having socket pins for these two resistors, so swapping them is easy, of course while amp is powered off

there is not that much leeway in value of Schade resistors, meaning differences are going to be dramatic with slight changes in values/ratio of two resistors and there are value combinations which are no-no, THD wise and stability wise

according to sims and measurements, I did found just two value combos I like - sorta standard 1K+10K, and 750R+18K

there are certainly few more possible value combos, but I'm lazy by nature, so it stays as that

NB - each altering of Schade resistor values will not alter Iq setting ( Iq biasing circ compensating change) but you'll need to re-set DC Offset for sure