The marriage

Today it was a busy day, I shuffled a big part of my digital library.

What I can say is that with the lu is does sound different but not by much.
It’s a bit more relaxed with more low level details, the bottom end seems a bit more precise. I get this sound with the settings from now but changing the vds of the lu can easily change all of that.

To mention also that I managed to get more than 100w at the output without noticing signs of bad sound which is not bad at all.

As you can see in the 2 attachments the Vds of the LUs is a bit different from one channel to the other to get same levels of 2nd hd, the jfets were matched.
I didn't set for the lowest 2nd.
One thing that it`s obvious is the 3rd hd that is close to 6x higher than the mosfet version. What can be done about this?

One more thing to mention is that I get 40+ watts and not 100+ like I said yesterday, I biased at 1a the fets like it was before.

Attachments

• ugx boo w lu left 1w 4r 2.567Vds lu_neg 2.367Vds lu_pos.jpg
    ugx boo w lu left 1w 4r 2.567Vds lu_neg 2.367Vds lu_pos.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 66
  • ugx boo w lu right 1w 4r 2.567Vds lu_neg 2.3Vds lu_pos.jpg
    ugx boo w lu right 1w 4r 2.567Vds lu_neg 2.3Vds lu_pos.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 60
I wondered how could I decrease the 3rd hd. Is there any way?

sole way to get evens is to decrease level of symmetry ....
Yes, I tried that already but can't increase 2nd more than 3rd.

Attachments

• ugx boo w lu right 1w 4r 2.4Vds lu_neg 2.4Vds lu_pos.jpg
    ugx boo w lu right 1w 4r 2.4Vds lu_neg 2.4Vds lu_pos.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 49
  • ugx boo w lu right 1w 4r 3.02Vds lu_neg 2.4Vds lu_pos.jpg
    ugx boo w lu right 1w 4r 3.02Vds lu_neg 2.4Vds lu_pos.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 51
  • ugx boo w lu right 1w 4r 3Vds lu_neg 3Vds lu_pos.jpg
    ugx boo w lu right 1w 4r 3Vds lu_neg 3Vds lu_pos.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 46
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
you can't do nothing, everything you have is pretty much as given

symmetry between OS parts is what dictates odds and THD level in general

symmetry between phases is what dictates evens and THD level in general

what you can try is varying drive to one of phases

though, remember, from very moment of choosing bridged OS configuration, you did chose dominating THD Spectra

how much you can alter that, as always, is dictated by several factors and finding right measure of compromises is entirely up to your taste

When I decrease the ccs current of only one half the 3rd hd decreases by close to 0.7x . One ccs is set for only 6ma.
If I set the ccs on both phases to only 6ma the 3rd goes 3x lower.
If I increase the ccs current the 3rd gets higher.

What would be the minimum current at which the jfet can be driven without frequency penalties?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yes, you must take care of few things

to maintain symmetry of Ugs voltages (lower mosfet and upper mosfet level shifter), if you vary level shifter Iq, then you must accordingly vary value of level shifting resistor, to maintain OS Iq

in short, keeping said Ugs-es in ballpark, keeping OS Iq in ballpark, only then you can compare overall performance

with CMirrors in biasing mechanism, symmetry of Ugs-es isn't anymore important to ensure minimal sliding of DC OFfset (as it was with resistors to rails and opto between gates, previous biasing arrangement) but it is important to ensure symmetrical clipping

that being of academic importance for me, never needing that sort of power, but it is matter of principle

Today I increased the bias which lowered the 3rd like in the sim and at this point I could set for 2nd predominant which I also did but to be honest I like the 3rd too so I set for maximum symmetry between the phases of each amp and put the top covers on.

Now I can compare the type of sound that I have now with what I had for many years in the past which was exactly the opposite.

What I noticed was also that certain tracks go well with 2nd and others with 3rd.

After all the drilling and soldering now I have to enjoy a bit the sound because they sound so good 😎

Attachments

• ugx boo w lu left 1w 4r 2.570Vds lu_neg 2.020Vds lu_pos.jpg
    ugx boo w lu left 1w 4r 2.570Vds lu_neg 2.020Vds lu_pos.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 52
  • ugx boo w lu right 1w 4r 2.573Vds lu_neg 2.430Vds lu_pos.jpg
    ugx boo w lu right 1w 4r 2.573Vds lu_neg 2.430Vds lu_pos.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: 1 user