The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Ideally I'd split up each main page with it's own categorised sidebar (featuring the in depth info), but I don't know how much editing of the template that would take. So far, all I needed was a couple of CSS tweaks to make it behave.

I keep quoting myself :D

I managed to create the movement I wanted. With help from a couple of plugins the side bar now moves dynamically with the page. Making it possible to use posts to go into further detail.

One plugin to create categories to pages and another elaborate sidebar widget that I edited to do as I wanted it to.

Now on to creating content and substituting some of the ugly pictures. :)

Considered? Yes, but with my specific placement options it wasn't in the cards for me. I was bound to this size and placement.

You mean that your subs are to close to the backwall to have a driver on the back?
A left and right driver would also work.
And if size is the issue you can take 2 smaller drivers that sum to 10 or 12 inch.

Last edited:
Yep, too close to the back wall, but also at a fixed location inside the room, close to the arrays. I don't think it would have been a smart choice.
I've considered many options, including one passive radiator on the inner side. Due to visual preferences and doubts it would work well that too
did not make the cut.

I'm using the Scan Speak 30W/4558T00, in a 40 x 40 x 40 cm cube. So it is 2x 12", even though bigger 12"subs do exist. They replaced the
feet bench that I strategically placed there as place holders:

LineArray.jpg

No other placement options available for me if I want to keep the peace at home. ;) I deliberately placed those benches there a long long time ago.

811714d1580045572-towers-25-driver-range-line-array-subinroom-jpg

I made a promise, no more drivers after this, no more damping panels. This still is a joint living room for my family. :) Not a man-cave....
I do count myself lucky to be able to have gone this far without it backfiring on me...

Heck, I'm not complaining, it is working very well... Sure I'm a bit jealous/envious on the guys that have a complete (spare) room all to themselves...
But constraints like these aren't always a bad thing. You've got to make the best of what you've got. You don't see me building new speakers every
year/month. I'm just working on extracting all I can from this, and enjoying the process and learning curve.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever shown photos of the cat protector on the subs up close, did I? I figured I needed some as build pictures for my vandermill-audio.nl website.

attachment.php

attachment.php

As can be seen, the treatment with soft abrasive pads and wax made the surface much better looking than the earlier paint pictures.
The paint structure was kept and resembles what I did on the arrays.
A soft sheen finish, I think it looks the part.

Attachments

• sub-room-1.jpg
    sub-room-1.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 303
  • sub-room-2.jpg
    sub-room-2.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
In other news, I upgraded my PC's internal storage drives from the old spinning disks (WD Black) to the SSD type. These SSD's are finally more affordable price wise. With a 5 year warranty on a 2 TB drive (I run two in raid-mirror) it is a no brainer. I went with the Crucial MX500 after years of only running Samsung SSD's. The Crucials are priced more competitive and keep up quite well within the mainstream Sata type SSD's.
In time the startup/OS volume will be upgraded to a NVMe drive. Probably a Samsung Pro type, to replace my current Samsung 850 Pro Sata drive.
Todays speeds of these drives is insane, can't wait to see even bigger ones come out to replace the drives in my NAS in a couple of years. I keep a rule to replace drives after 5 years of running. Those WD Black's escaped my attention, they were 7 years old.

Force of habit I suppose. I was wondering the same thing myself. I've been using raid mirror like forever. But with a solid backup system I could do more useful things with this space.

By the way, I've been running WD Black for years too, never had a problem with them.
Don't talk about the WD Green though, grrr. I still have one of those as an external drive.
That I never really did use because it was unusable slow.

Last edited:
I think my last WD drive was "Caviar"?

I was mostly on Fujitsu at the time, and had 3 or 4 WD drives fail on me and that was it.
The Black series was for servers, right? Might be a bit tougher than the regular ones.

I second the idea that Raid might not bring the speed improvements it did when using platter spinning drives.

I haven't done a Raid setup in some years now.

There is a lot of data integrity paranoia around,. Even if it isn't deserved, the cost of a failure without backup is too horrible to contemplate. But reliability is way better than it used to be and I'm in danger of becoming complacent.

The first 3 years my Dell Laptop was on maintenance every time the drive reported an error (even a seek error) they would send me a new drive. This was their policy just a few years ago. I never bothered to install these new drives because they wanted me to reinstall all my software on them. Instead, I just made mirrors and kept them for backup which I've never needed.

Later I switched to WD SSD which has been perfectly fine.

True that past experiences might indulge a certain paranoia.

At the time, installing a new drive was kinda like these sports athlete not wanting to shave throughout the playoffs... afraid of jinxing their luck... (or was it underwear?) ... you'd do anything and everything that made sense or not, just in the hopes that the drive would not fail... backups do help, but they were time consuming.

I have to admit that my last few drives have performed flawlessly, knocking on wood. (and none of them are from WD! ha ha!)

Joking... but then again, trusting your data to a little rectangle box (or two) is always daunting.

Last edited:
Proofreading the new website...

If anyone is up for it, I wouldn't mind if any of you read my new webpages (vandermill-audio.nl) as a bit of proofreading... I've been typing like crazy to try and make a sensible (and hopefully interesting) story out of it. But I'd like to know if there are some obvious errors / textual mistakes etc. Or some weird menu action...

disclaimer said:
At no point do I ask the reader to agree with me :). This isn't a HiFi topic, it is all about MyFi :D.
I may say things that others see as offensive, even though I didn't mean to step on any toes.
If I should rewrite certain parts just ask me.

The Line Array part isn't new, and needs no reading just yet. I'll redo that over time. What's there, except for the intro, was written back in 2014.

So far I've filled the Amplification pages,

and most of the Subwoofer pages.

I've meant for these pages to be a bit of a light reading summary, sort of an addition to this (overly) technical topic/discussion. It features the complete subwoofer build with drawings and pointers. Well, almost anyway, just a few more pages to go.

Over time I'll probably add way more subjects like my Mid/Side EQ and an explanation why I use it, as this is all covered here, but it is scattered over many many pages. At some points I've linked to this or other thread(s) for more info.

Hopefully it is a fun and (somewhat) interesting summary of this overcomplete topic. :)

It is all meant as DIY fun, no commercial ideas behind it...
Hopefully it will inspire a few people to tackle a project of their own!

Last edited: