The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Thanks! That's what it looks like after a bit of remodeling over here. Except that the arrays and subs are still in storage :D.

I'll add another set in black and white, showing hidden lines...

Attachments

• Roomz-w.jpg
    Roomz-w.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 307
  • Roomb-w.jpg
    Roomb-w.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 313
  • new panels 3.jpg
    new panels 3.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
@fluid, do we need something like this?

Still need to add a top/bottom to the first one for it to represent my test cabinet.

I can send it to you trough mail, and can easily adjust it to represent your lines as well.
Yes that is basically what is needed :)

The images above look good. For confirmation purposes it would be good to have one without the roundover in front of the driver too, as that effectively makes the cone deeper and will change the response.

email me them as step files and I will look to see what I can do to mesh them :)

I was able to simulate the flush test box in ABEC with a simplified model of the TC9 based on wesayso's CAD files.

This is the mesh

attachment.php

Results attached below, without a LE script for the driver, seems reasonable. Refinements can be made such as using different weights to drive the cone and surround and the LE script but this seems to show the basic s are working.

Attachments

• Test Enclosure Polar Curves.png
    Test Enclosure Polar Curves.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 3,267
  • Test Enclosure Polar.png
    Test Enclosure Polar.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Test Enclosure Mesh.png
    Test Enclosure Mesh.png
    199.1 KB · Views: 3,909
Very cool fluid, I'm hoping the version with round-over in front of the cone works too..

If we got both of those, it would probably make sense to look at the partial array featuring 3 drivers, while driving the bottom one (or center) to see what it does vertically.

Here's the horizontals that nc535 came up with (Vituixcad) which formed the base for our simulations:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Horizontal-basic.jpg
    Horizontal-basic.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 732
Here is the Vertical Polars and normalised curves, not too bad either, more baffle and no roundover on the edge creates a different pattern when other drivers are added that will change things.

Attachments

• Test Enclosure Polar V.png
    Test Enclosure Polar V.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Test Enclosure Polar V Curves.png
    Test Enclosure Polar V Curves.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 88
This is the simulation for adding a 6mm chamfer in front of the driver. The directivity is quite a bit better particularly below 5K in the Horizontal, good choice :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Test Box 6mm Chamfer V Polar Curves.png
    Test Box 6mm Chamfer V Polar Curves.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Test Box 6mm Chamfer V Polar.png
    Test Box 6mm Chamfer V Polar.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Test Box 6mm Chamfer H Polar Curves.png
    Test Box 6mm Chamfer H Polar Curves.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 3,726
  • Test Box 6mm Chamfer H Polar.png
    Test Box 6mm Chamfer H Polar.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Chamfer Mesh.png
    Chamfer Mesh.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 3,851
No thickness to the enclosure is needed or implied from the model this is what the one I'm running now looks like. It is a surface which encloses a volume, unless you want to model the inside it doesn't matter.

The chamfer is 6mm inset into the front surface.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Enc Surface.png
    Enc Surface.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 754
are we going all the way to a line array waveguide?
Maybe ;) Here is my own enclosure modelled with the same vertical size as wesayso's. Disappointing enough to seriously consider V2 based on optimized directivity.

I've always had trouble getting 3 to 4K right and listening directly on axis has been better. I think these plots explain why :rolleyes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• My Enc Polar Curves V.png
    My Enc Polar Curves V.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 88
  • My Enc Polar V.png
    My Enc Polar V.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 106
  • My Enc Polar Curves H.png
    My Enc Polar Curves H.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 4,083
  • My Enc Polar H.png
    My Enc Polar H.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 222
  • My Enc Mesh.png
    My Enc Mesh.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 4,331
wesayso asked if I could change the range to go out to 20K. Unfortunately you can see from this that above 12K or so the mesh is not fine enough (among other issues) to generate reliable data and you get garbage. The driver is already at 4mm mesh, it could be finer for the single driver simulations but that would preclude going to a full line because the elements would get out of control. What might be worth looking at is a phase shield to try and do something in the 5k to 10K range where it is not as well controlled as below.

Attachments

• 6mm Chamfer 200 20k Polar Curves.png
    6mm Chamfer 200 20k Polar Curves.png
    38 KB · Views: 90
  • 6mm Chamfer 200 20k Polar.png
    6mm Chamfer 200 20k Polar.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 93