The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Well you can't listen to simulations but a definite YES to your second question. Others with more experience may have a different opinion. Kimmosto of Vituix has told me in effect that conventional multiways in an appropriately treated room can be better, but I don't have such a room. I think line arrays may be best for minimally treated rooms where equalization is done with measurements taken in room.

As a sole set of speakers without subwoofers or room treatment of any kind I think a full range line array is definitely a top tier sound quality system. They cope better with that situation than any other speakers I have had.

What I have also found over time is that you cannot have it all unless you are willing to tweak EQ on a per song basis. Having the truly sweet sparkly highs on Audiophile recordings leads to bleeding ears with Rock. There is a compromise where everything sounds really good and that is where I have landed.

No sensible engineer would look to calibrate a system based on a non calibrated test source but that is what we do when listening to music to determine if it's better or worse.

One of wesayso's recurring points is to tweak the system you have rather than try another one. This alone will help anyone to understand what they like and don't like and how to get there.

If you look for the ultimate in one particular area to the exclusion of all else an array will not be the best speaker. If you want the best compromise of all aspects an array becomes much harder to beat.

Having said all that I am building new speakers to see if the array remains my favourite compromise :p

I've always had the models, but never used them all together...
attachment.php

Who knows, I may add my room as well. I've always said I would some day :).
Anyway, here are all audio components as they are setup in the room.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Room-3D.jpg
    Room-3D.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 375
  • Room3d-2.jpg
    Room3d-2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
I've always wanted to draw it up, but never really found the time. As the weather still isn't there to go into the garage I figured to finally draw it all up. It serves as a nice way to figure out the seating distances too.
I've had a lot of questions about the absorbent panels (position/size) and these pictures should make it more clear to get an idea about sizes etc.

I'll change the picture on the TV in due time :). It was the first one I found to be able to quickly add it. But posted like this it kinda looks like I'm bragging about it :D.
That's not intended. No need to advertise, LG isn't paying me ;).

As I find it fun to do (for now), I keep upgrading the model with small tweaks. I mainly use it as down time while I wait for the weather to turn and it gives me time to think about my next move. I won't insert the pictures (way to big) but just upload them for the curious ones. Easier to skip. :D

As strange as it may sound, it is helping me to think, while just modeling the furniture etc. The model itself turned out useful enough to me. Still need to check a few measurements, but it will help me position some key elements to fit my needs.

Attachments

• Room-a-small.jpg
    Room-a-small.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
@fluid, do we need something like this?

Flush mounted:
attachment.php

attachment.php

With my backmounting/roundover:
attachment.php

Still need to add a top/bottom to the first one for it to represent my test cabinet.

I can send it to you trough mail, and can easily adjust it to represent your lines as well.

Attachments

• Abec-assy.jpg
    Abec-assy.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 293
  • Abec-part1.jpg
    Abec-part1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 285
  • Abec2.jpg
    Abec2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 291
Last edited: