The food thread

Approx 70% of these good people {anecdotal data} complain that their meal at Peter Merriman's was oversalted, and they vow to never return there. I happen to be among them.

I'm in the 90% percentile on intolerance for salt, I find my son's food to be almost inedible (he is one of those people that pours salt on anything served before tasting). As I said I was only there around their first year and the menu was tiny IIRC we had a big thick cut of Parker Ranch grass fed beef, surface to volume would help on the salt issue. We loved the coffee, and asked about the source. When we called the owner of the coffee "plantation" he was feeding his baby in the kitchen and said they were out of stock for a while.

I guess success has spoiled another ego.

Last edited:
Leftover veg curry with home made pita. Also some red lentil kofta, except instead of forming little football shaped kofta I just scoop it out of the pot with the pita like a very substantial dip.

Also a gloomy Monday here, "mixed precipitation" and slush everywhere. Still I expected Montreal in January to be colder, and it has been and will be again, but hovering around 0C for now. One thing cheered me up: my hifi is still in Halifax, but I ordered an Ikea "Symfonisk" wifi speaker because I was jonesing for some tunes! It arrived today, and I am blissing out. No comparison to my Plutos but so much better than builtin speakers of phone/tablet/laptop. For most of 3 months I have been without music, at least the way I enjoy it (headphones and in ear phones just don't cut it for me, not comfortable and I feel isolated).

For those unfamiliar: red lentil kofta:

Bring about 2-1/4 cups water to the boil. (anything between 2c and 2.5c will work).
Add 1 cup dried red lentils (they look more pink than red).
Stir, bring back to boil, reduce heat, simmer stirring sometimes until lentils are soft, probably about 20 minutes.
When the lentils are cooked and about the texture of runny oatmeal, stir in 1/2 cup bulgur, remove from heat and let stand at least 10 minutes.
Meanwhile heat about 1/3 cup olive oil in a skillet, add one medium onion finely diced, saute until the onions are soft and golden and just starting to brown. Reduce heat to low, add 1/2tsp (2.5ml) ground cumin, stir in and cook for a minute, then add one tablespoon harissa or other red pepper paste, plus one tablespoon tomato paste. Stir well and fry the pastes on low heat for a couple minutes.

Now add the onions and spices to the lentils and stir in well. Add 1/2 tsp salt and juice of 1/2 or 1 lemon, "half a bunch" of finely chopped green onions (I think that means 3 or 4 green onions) and 1/3 bunch of chopped parsley (use your imagination, a couple big handfuls of parsley). Stir it all together.

Ideally scoop about 2 tbsp of the mixture and form into ovals, wrap them in lettuce leaf to serve. Some people lightly bread them and fry them, some even form them on skewers and grill them. Or you can be Lonely Guy and scoop the mixture with some pita bread while staring out the window at unrelenting grayness. Your choice.

:up:
Class the place up a bit. :)
I'll say, he had a way in the kitchen and equally as good with a camera.
I didn't turn vegetarian until after I had started posting on here.
Too many sausages here, I know but what are you gonna do? The fairer sex doesn't like the magic smoke as much. Wait, what?
so please some patience for follow ups.
It's not a post competition but we do take notice when an important cog goes missing from the wheel.

Any chilli /hot sauce lovers?

I’ve grown Bhut Jalokia (ghost pepper) and trinidad scorpions (a naga Moriach strain). I also have plenty of super hot sauces avoid all sauces with extract (that’s cheating and results in a bad taste).

I’ll have raw Bhut or scorp on pizza (No cheese - lactose intol) or burgers by thin slicing. Magnificent taste and good heat levels and fresh beat any sauces. However they work even better on venison burgers - as the chilli can over power the beef.

Last edited:
Nez, that recipe sounds amazing, I,m not a vegetarian, but I booked marked this page.

Btw, southern and mid (farmland) french is quite different from that stuff in the fancier classic french restaurants, and a bit easier also. My father inlaw grew up on a farm in central France, and cooks amazing dinners with 4 or 5 ingredients in the main dish (excluding salt and pepper of course).

Some good cheeses with bread and a red wine is a beautiful meal on it's own though, simple and perfect.

Now I'm hungry, you guys are killin me.