The food thread

Adapted from BBC Lamb Chops:

I used lamb rack from Costco and divided between 1 and 2 ribs. Marinate twice (the marinade is like a moist "rub")

First marinade:
Fresh garlic and ginger ground to a paste, chili powder and a bit of vegetable oil to blend. Marinate for 2 to 4 hours.

Second marinade:
Tomato paste or marinade, chilli powder, garam masala and turmeric. Marinate for 2 to 4 hours. The last hour outside the fridge to bring them up to room temp.

While a grill is the preferred method, it was snowing .... thus 25 minutes in the oven @350
then placed on the lowest oven rack and broil each side for 5 minutes to crisp up.

Served with mint chutney, etc.

Anyone ever try couscous as a filler mixed with ground beef (or lamb might work too) in stuffed bell peppers?
We had no rice or breadcrumbs (usually use one or the other) and decided to try the couscous and to tell the truth it might even be better!
I looked it up online after the fact and found a bunch of Veggie recipes but it didn’t seem popular with the carnivore crowd?
Anybody have a recipe that includes meat? I did my regular Italian style seasoning and thought maybe it could use a little more flair.

So Charles, how do they pronounce Worcestershire in Warwickshire? :D

Last edited:
We often have cous cous. But when we went to Morocco, we found that it was mostly used in vegetarian dishes, such as cous cous au sept legume [Morocco national dish]. It is a perfect foil for tagines, of lamb or chicken. We prepare cous cous as follows: use fine cous cous. Use cous cous:water ratio of 1:1 (like basmati rice). The water comes from the boiled veg. we have as well, with a little extra salt and pepper and fresh herbs. No need for a couscousier, we have found.

Did you cook the meat separately, and mix and stuff afterwards? Spicing might be better with a little Ras el hanout mixed into the meat, and browned.

Last edited:
I’ve always mixed raw meat/filler as you would meatloaf or meatballs, the couscous was cooked and cooled first. I’d never tried cooking the meat first, doesn’t seem like it would cohere as well?

Never heard of that spice......looked it up and sounds interesting, most likely have to grind my own blend (or buy off internet) as I’ve never seen it in any store around me.

Last edited:
I’ve always mixed raw meat/filler as you would meatloaf or meatballs, the couscous was cooked and cooled first. I’d never tried cooking the meat first, doesn’t seem like it would cohere as well?

Never heard of that spice......looked it up and sounds interesting, most likely have to grind my own blend (or buy off internet) as I’ve never seen it in any store around me.

Try cooking meat separately, then add the cooked couscous, then stuff. I would also add onions to the meat (and maybe a little root ginger). Hopefully, the meat and couscous will produce new flavours (Maillard reaction).

Ras el Hanout is a mix of whole spices, prepared by the shop keeper, his/her 'special mix', so there is no one definitive recipe.

The ones I bought in Morocco have (as far as I can identify) cassia bark, mace, nutmeg, green cardamom, star anise, long pepper, cloves, allspice, and white pepper, all whole spice, or largish bits! I usualy grind on demand, although it will keep for a few weeks when ground. Note, it is nothing like garam masala or any other spice mix.

Thanks cat squirrel,

First thing I thought of was either Garam masala, or five spice when I saw the ingredient list, good to know it’s different.
We don’t have any spice shops within reach that I’m aware of, but will certainly look into it.

I usually use one egg yolk per pound of meat in the mix, might use two when mixed (to bind better) if the meat is cooked first?