The food thread

Split pea with ham, good on a chilly night.

Attachments

• IMG_20200125_173546.jpg
    IMG_20200125_173546.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 77
Another underappreciated fish IMO, yellow snapper. Steamed in a foil tent on the grill with peppers, onions, and a garlic cilantro butter.

Around here the underappreciated thing is steaming a fish .
Fried, fried, fried is the only way my family knows .
A friend from Hong Kong showed me steamed fish .
You can actually taste the fish instead of just the breading .

I bet there are excellent sushi restaurants in Sacramento.

If you want to taste the fish, eat sushi and sashimi. Start with amaebi (uncooked shrimp), then move on to saba (mackerel), tako (octopus), sea urchin (uni), ikura (salmon eggs), awabi (abalone)
I think there are , but I have developed a bad reaction to MSG ,
and am leery of any oriental restaurants .

I think there are , but I have developed a bad reaction to MSG ,
and am leery of any oriental restaurants .

Sashimi in general would not have MSG but the eel is usually (always) prepared barbecued with a sauce that contains MSG. That's just the way it is, a Japanese professor discovered it and it appears everywhere.

OTOH you should be observant because glutamic acid (the umami taste) appears in many normal ingredients also. I almost passed out after eating a simple miso soup in one restaurant (in the US) but have never had a single problem in numerous trips to Japan and China. This is not a cut and dry issue.

Sashimi in general would not have MSG but the eel is usually (always) prepared barbecued with a sauce that contains MSG. That's just the way it is, a Japanese professor discovered it and it appears everywhere.

OTOH you should be observant because glutamic acid (the umami taste) appears in many normal ingredients also. I almost passed out after eating a simple miso soup in one restaurant (in the US) but have never had a single problem in numerous trips to Japan and China. This is not a cut and dry issue.
My understanding is that MSG is so prevalent
in oriental food that you cannot escape it .
( like salt here ) I . E ....
The cook may swear he doesn't use it ,
but chances are some of his ingredients
already have it .

Scott it might be good to mention that ama ebi is a good one but regular ebi is best cooked. Ama ebi, aka Spot prawns are our local ones and we're always considered bottom of the barrel until the Asian market adopted them. Used in a shrimp boil, they're quite mushy and lose their sweetness. They really are only good when raw.

Last edited:
Turns out the four types of soy we have, have no msg or any of those sneaky terms like hydrolized plant protein or celery extract than mean msg, so I'm not sure how accurate that article I read was.

EDIT: More learning. Msg is produced by fermenting the soy beans.

Cal the celery extract, etc. is for nitrites in meat products not MSG. I don't have a problem with things that bring some flavor along with naturally occurring glutamates.

Turns out the four types of soy we have, have no msg or any of those sneaky terms like hydrolized plant protein or celery extract than mean msg, so I'm not sure how accurate that article I read was.

EDIT: More learning. Msg is produced by fermenting the soy beans.
If it doesn't bother you , who care ' s ..... ?
My Grandma used to put ' Accent ' in everything , and it was fine .
Only in the last few years have I become intolerant .

Around here the underappreciated thing is steaming a fish .
Fried, fried, fried is the only way my family knows .
A friend from Hong Kong showed me steamed fish .
You can actually taste the fish instead of just the breading .

Steamed fish in foil in the oven - superb. I had a bamboo steamer but fish made a mess of it.

Favourite shellfish dish is moule frites :)