The food thread

My wife is French, she has definitely opened my eyes to good food. Frenchie says she is going to make a Quiche today with the left over ham and some home made creme fraiche, fingers crossed.

Same here - from Dunkerque. Her family is spread over northern part of France. So I get obscenely good beer (Nord, Flandres, Belgium etc) and decent wine for normal money on each trip :)

It always surprises me is the French wedding (ours too) approach to food. 5-7 courses; one every 45 minutes with games and dancing between. Starting early evening; Cake cut at midnight as last course and final drinks at 3am after doing the traditional northern Carnival songs. Courses are full on - an English mate (also married to a frenchie) though the first course was the entire dinner!

If I'm not misunderstanding, you are a Brit married to French woman, my wife chuckled and said it must have been love at first sight, because that mix doesn't happen very often!

The wine is so good, and so reasonably priced, and the Food! I think the French invented fine cuisine. Though not the easiest cooking methods.

If I'm not misunderstanding, you are a Brit married to French woman, my wife chuckled and said it must have been love at first sight, because that mix doesn't happen very often!

French redhead (just to complicate further).

Italian food, like all food, fresher the better. Best octopus dish was in Rome - octopus and lemon. Cooked perfectly. Ahem I had an Italian gf in the past.

I’ve travelled a lot. Pune (spice capital of India) has phenomenal food (I grow super hot chilli peppers).
Oddly the only bit of Hawaii big island that annoyed me was the lovel of spam (where’s the excellent seafood?).

Oddly the only bit of Hawaii big island that annoyed me was the lovel of spam (where’s the excellent seafood?).

Did you try any poke? My problem in HI with traditional food was the penchant to cook everything to death. BTW on the big island you need to visit Merriman's in Waimea. Waimea - Merriman's Hawaii Restaurant

Last edited:
Italian food, like all food, fresher the better. Best octopus dish was in Rome - octopus and lemon. Cooked perfectly. Ahem I had an Italian gf in the past.
I thought Greeks are known for the octopus dishes. As for "fresher" and "octopus", it doesn't get fresher than cut up tentacles still moving when served raw in eastern Asia. Brings a new meaning to "fresher the better". :eek:

"the island's love affair with Spam began in World War II, when GIs were served the salty luncheon meat because it didn't require refrigeration and had a long shelf life."

Did you try any poke? My problem in HI with traditional food was the penchant to cook everything to death. BTW on the big island you need to visit Merriman's in Waimea. Waimea - Merriman's Hawaii Restaurant

We were just below kona for a week before moving to Kwaii Hired a car for south and Mauna Kea. Heli commutes to Hilo via centre and Volcano and south east. Explored east side with mustang hire and then heli commuted in the evening via the north of the island and waterfalls.
We just at at the locals spots, would have taken a good few hours to get to the restaurant! I didn’t see poke on the menu :/

I assume it’s a deep water Atlantic cod type of fish?

Madeira have a deep water fish specialty they cook with banana! The scabbard fish doesn’t look related to Atlantic cod! Have a look: Recipe: Scabbardfish with banana - Ocean Retreat

Edit: Poke - a sliced bowl of raw fish. Sounds similar to Sashimi (raw flicked fish) such as tuna.

Last edited:
Peter Merriman -- oversalting his food for 30 years and proud of it!
I'm ultra sensitive to this and it is not my experience though I was there only around day 1. You say this like there is some kind of controversy or conversation about this, any link just curious? I read the recent yelp reviews, I was there when it was a tiny one venue place no reservations necessary, etc.

Last edited:
First time I was asked if I wanted moose meat in Hawai'i, I was wondering how it got there and oh boy, they must think the world of us to serve Canadians. My goodness, the cost must be out of this world.

Imagine my surprise. Musubi and moose meat sound pretty similar when you're not close enough to hear it correctly, and on top of that, you've never heard of musubi so don't blame me for saying holy cow yes!
Wow, maki using an oversized hunk of spam. Who could ask for more? ;)

I'm more into the Italian style of cooking: Get the very best ingredients available then do as little to them as you can get away with.

Not that great a fan of French cuisine except the one in the Alsace but that is essentially German food.

Having 50% Italian and 50% German blood, I basically agree with you on how I cook. But I absolutely love all the French food I've had as well. :)

This is probably the one thread where I wish we had a "like" system. So many posts where I don't want to write an inane "yessssssss.... that sounds amazing" but would like to extend my approval. Anyhow I digress. Happy Sunday.

Anyone got a pulse on good NZ food? I'll be down on the South Island for a few weeks. (Yay me!)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Lots of friends and neighbors and colleagues visit The Big Island, frequently, because it's nearby and airfare is cheap. Cheaper than flying to Research Triangle Park NC. Approx 70% of these good people {anecdotal data} complain that their meal at Peter Merriman's was oversalted, and they vow to never return there. I happen to be among them.

Lots of friends and neighbors and colleagues visit The Big Island, frequently, because it's nearby and airfare is cheap. Cheaper than flying to Research Triangle Park NC. Approx 70% of these good people {anecdotal data} complain that their meal at Peter Merriman's was oversalted, and they vow to never return there. I happen to be among them.

Visited Cisco in NC many moons ago - flew in/out in under 24hours. Missed any opportunity for food :/

I don't dislike all french food, far from it. I just think that the french are at times prone to fiddle with it a bit too much.
I guess it comes down to where you experience it. The French five star eateries, have as we say - little on the plate but lots on the bill. But I guess you move away from the highly rated places and stick to more rural places, I think the food is much different.

We did see a little bit of that in Italy, where, when you try out local places, or even farmhouses (BnB), the food is very simple but rich in many ways - tast and on the plate.

Here pix from yesterday, my first risotto well made .:cheerful:

Attachments

• IMG_4349.jpg
    IMG_4349.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4350.jpg
    IMG_4350.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 88
Exactly, I think more of the peasant food and less about the haute cuisine. Although admittedly reading about the preparation of haute cuisine from various cultures opens one up to a new repertoire of techniques, or at least refined forms of basic skills, which benefit all meals.

The landscape of fine dining has changed so much in 45yr. I don't see the simple labels as relevant anymore. Folks simply say it's "French" if it seems too fussy. I do wish the more excessive parts of molecular cuisine would jump the shark.