The food thread

Yeah - a 16-Qt LeCreuset, when Full is NO Joke! = "I HOPE your Oven has REALLY strong racks" :yikes:

I've got the 8-Qt Martha Stewart version and that one is PLENTY HEA-VEY
(Also an antique smaller plain CI from Griswold - only the inside of the lid is enameled. Thinking about what to make in that one [something "non-acidy"] bread or biscuits?)

I have deboned it and will grind for a pasta sauce.

Yes Scott, that's a massive dutch oven. How much did it weigh empty?

Don't remember, it only came in brown and I got it at a remainder store along with other unpopular colors like white which I don't think is even made anymore.

EDIT - It was actually 15.5qt (probably X liters) ~$700 replacement value.

Last edited:
Yeah, is it just ME, or does Ferraro-Rocher taste like “packing material”?
(Mebbe I’m just not highbrow enough...)

OTOH - As a foundation member of C.U. (Chocohaulics Unanimous) I do see the validity of where Mark Johnson’s SO is coming from. That’s some GOOOOOOoooooodddd stuff!
(Top it off with a few Mint Meltaways from Seroogy’s in DePere...)

Ground the lamb and made a crushed tomato sauce with fried shallot, leftover bitter melon and dried shiitake 'shrooms. A little garlic, some of the jus, dried Italian seasoning, salt, brown sugar and MSG and we were good to go. Spooned over a bed of vermicelli, it was really quite good. A heavy Bolognese sauce rather than runny Marinara style, it really stuck to the ribs.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
If they could figure out how to get the Nutella the same consistency as peanut butter they’d probably use 2/3 ...... that stuff is weirdly sticky!

You are aware quite what a sugary abomination it is? It's 50% sugar and palm oil with only 13% hazelnuts (which are often picked by children). It was developed post war when people had to be creative in europe due to limited supplies. But if you are happy with a spread made of dead orangutans* and the tears of kids...

*Note not getting on a high horse about palm oil. It's damned hard to eradicate it from shopping and keep to a family budget.

It was stew night last night -- pretty simple meal that left everyone at the table happy and full. Oven roasted yams, beets, carrots and zucchini all get added in at the last second; cubed up chuck roast sauteed then add a base of onions, celery and mushrooms (sauteed then add water/wine to braise for a while).

Usually I'll make part of the braising liquid with tomatoes but I brain-farted it last night, so a dallop of sundried tomatoes came to the rescue. I want to try oven roasting cherry tomatoes in the future, though. I'll also make it with diluted stock instead of purely water, but we burned through our stock of stock over Thanksgiving (to good effect I might say), so it'll be a little bit before we have enough post-meal bones left in the freezer. A tablespoon of vegetable bouillon paste helped a bunch.