The food thread

One of them thar life mysteries I reckon.
we tried making brandy from it one year, even double run it wasn’t very good.....
I suppose it didn’t get to age like it should have ( the gallon we got didn’t see the next day!)

.....corn is way more forgiving. :D

There's a muscadine winery near our place in Leesburg, you can have most of it, I hope there were a few of you doing a gallon in a day. There was a rumor that Dashiell Hammett did 4 or more fifth's a day, I don't believe it.

Yah I’ve had several different muscadine wines both homemade and from a winery down in the piedmont of NC and I’m with you but this grape had such a light pleasant sweet/tart balance not at all what I expected. Wine was on the reddish side of pink.

....we sold the farm couple yrs ago, hopefully the new people take care of them.

Oh.....and there was 3 or 4 drinking it, a quart jar per person in one sitting was no small feat and usually ended in some sort of calamity!

Last edited:
Sorry to bring this back to our regular scheduled topic, butt.......

16# of pork butt in the refrigerator out of the freezer last Tuesday.

I'm planning on making Andouille, Here is a typical recipe:

https://honest-food.net/andouille-sausage-cajun-style/

I'm following the recipe in CharcuteRie by Ruhlman and Poleyn which is similar.

Does anyone have suggestions from personal experience?

I have both sheep and hog casings.

I'm contemplating picking up another Pork Butt to bring the total to 24#, figuring I will hit 20# after cleaning it. If I am going to make sausage, I might as well make enough to fill the freezer.

Here is my recipe, I replicated my favorite Jacob’s Andouille sausage. I like it a lot.
Andouille Sausage - Taste of Artisan

I use beef middles as Andouille is usually thicker.

I used the "Smoked Andouille" recipe from Charcuterie, 2005 first edition.

It does not call for powdered milk as an addition.

I used more garlic and cayenne as we like both.

I smoked them with apple wood under a low heat for several hours.

It turned out excellent and is great either with crackers and cheese, or as an addition to a dish, beans, Gumbo, cabbage, whatever.

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    692.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Ready.jpg
    Ready.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Snack.jpg
    Snack.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I used the "Smoked Andouille" recipe from Charcuterie, 2005 first edition.

It does not call for powdered milk as an addition.

I used more garlic and cayenne as we like both.

I smoked them with apple wood under a low heat for several hours.

It turned out excellent and is great either with crackers and cheese, or as an addition to a dish, beans, Gumbo, cabbage, whatever.

Looks good. Here is mine, smoked over pecan wood for 8 hours at 140F. Mine is a very traditional recipe, just salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne. Very smoky with a rich mahogany color.
Andouille-Sausage-Recipe-best-1.jpg

Andouille-Sausage-Recipe-best.jpg

Last edited:
Yours look nicer than mine. Do you use fresh water soaked wood for smoking, or let the smoke settle before adding the sausage?

Thanks. The latter. I like that 'thin and blue' smoke. I actually use a MiniMax green egg as a firepit for my smokehouse. I like the quality of smoke it generates, which is why I built my smokehouse with a BGE as an essential component. I use dry wood chunks, never soak them.

Many Belgian beers are also bottle conditioned and have primary yeast, although some use a bottling yeast which is neutral but good for high gravity to finish the beer.

I was reminded today of how ordinary Sam Adams was. Years ago Koch responded to a review of his cherry "lambic" as tasting like cherry soda with a little beer flavor. He said simply Americans will never buy a real Belgian beer.