The food thread

Then there were the folks who volunteered to do the thanksgiving meal at a homeless shelter. They decided roasted turkey would be boring. So they made turkey tetrazzini. Suffice it to say the unexpected offering did not go over with folks expect roast turkey.

The next year they did roast turkey, bit for some reason hardly anyone showed up.

The Most HUMBLY Magnificent Cranberry-Apple Pie in the Galaxy

Later today (Friday) one of these goes to the Thanksgiving Potluck for International Students at Washington University, and the other goes with me to Michigan for Thanksgiving with my wife's extended family on Saturday.

Dale

Attachments

• Cranberry_Apple_pie2.jpg
    Cranberry_Apple_pie2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Tonight is a short cut lamb leg.
I am trying something different. I have left it in the vacu-bag whence it came and then into the immersion cooker. It will be 8 hours at 135F. Instead of brining it, I have taken all the brine ingredients and simmered them. I will filter it then thicken to make a rosemary, garlic and green onion gravy. Other than the obvious colour problem, I wonder how this will turn out. It sure as heck is an easy way to do it.

I am also doing a Char Siu with pork belly. My BIL is coming to town this week. A couple years back, he told his younger brother, a professional cook, not to do it anymore because Cal did it better. I was uncomfortable at first but basked in the glory once the turmoil died down.

He's my favourite BIL. :)

If you're interested, I start with a packaged mix of 'Roast Red Pork' from Lobos for the colour and flavour, then add 5 spice powder, garlic, ginger, kecap manis, chinkiang vinegar and chili flakes.

Um num.

The Mrs. filled me up before I had a chance to dig into the leg, so I unplugged the immersion cooker and put the lid on the cooler. Got up this morning, the water was still quite warm so I decided to have lamb for breakfast. I didn't make gravy, just au jus and the flavour was very good. The lamb was still quite rare but that amount of time in the bath made it too tender, mealy in fact.
I will certainly do that super easy method of cooking again but I will decline when Hanh wants me to try all the goodies she is making as that texture is not for me.

Well, I meant when you sous vide it, the released liquid from the meat becomes its own amazingly dense stock. Jus wasn't the right term, but we're highlighting the same phenomenon with different language.

And, yes, you essentially sous vide'd the lamb for *much* longer than you wanted. I also do the cooler trick and it's great for the long long braises as the heat loss to the air is pretty minimal.

Yeah - maybe best option would've been to turn it into "Leg of Lamb Soup"?

Maybe next weekend - gonna' whip-up a big batch of Beef Bourguignon.
I started with the original recipe from Julia Child's "The Way to Cook" a few years back,
and added a few minor tweaks of my own / stuff I've picked-up over the years:

I like to make it in a big, enameled cast-iron Dutch Oven

-Sear the meat in BIG "Blocks" (about 2.5" / 6cm cubes)
-Add some onion at the beginning (cooks-down / adds flavor)
-Roast the Garlic

Taking it up to Mom's place for Christmas dinner - Easy to re-heat and Tasty!

Yeah - maybe best option would've been to turn it into "Leg of Lamb Soup"?

Friday is the big Christmas get together of former work friends. No fooling around with anything but old fashion slow food in a big Dutch oven. Lamb shanks accompanied with some extra cuts from shoulder, leg, etc. with gremolata. I gave away my giant 16qt. Le Creuset dutch oven (in fact the local store does not even know one that big existed) but this crowd is smaller than the 40-60 I could serve out of that.