The food thread

Hey Cal I picked up one of your "Heritage The Rock" pans at that tire store the other day. I haven't used it yet, but I unwrapped it and washed it so it's ready to go. The slightly nubbly, orange-peel texture surprised me, most non-stick surfaces are dead smooth. Still even the soapy water didn't wet the surface.

The package says never to use on high heat, but also says it will take 450F in the oven. Do you ever use yours for searing meat? I was going to make a pear tarte tatin for my honey and thought this pan might be the deal, but it calls for caramelizing butter and sugar on quite high heat. Maybe a stainless steel pan would be better?

Simple supper tonight, couscous cooked in chicken stock with vegetables (onion, celery, carrot, garlic, mushrooms, poblano pepper) and a simple "salad" of heritage mini tomatoes (well, colorful anyway) and sliced cucumber with a bit of cilantro and lightly dressed with olive oil and wine vinegar. And a decent Cotes du Rhone.

Attachments

• IMG_20191125_210745_compress12.jpg
    IMG_20191125_210745_compress12.jpg
    954.2 KB · Views: 133
Beyond Bonecrusher you use a saw.

:D I use this for my chainsaw, works great! Actually quicker to use than machine sharpener.
2 in 1 Filing Guide & Saw Chain Sharpener | STIHL USA

Edit:
The package says never to use on high heat, but also says it will take 450F in the oven. Do you ever use yours for searing meat? I was going to make a pear tarte tatin for my honey and thought this pan might be the deal, but it calls for caramelizing butter and sugar on quite high heat. Maybe a stainless steel pan would be better?

Got really tired of having to purchase new pots&pans every 6 months or so... I eventually decided to go back to cast iron, yes it's heavier, but lasts forever. And when properly used it's more non-stick than just slightly worn non-stick pots/skillets/frying pans. For slow&low cooking there's stainless steel and ceramics. Steel is no good for frying stuff, it doesn't have those pores that are in cast iron.

Last edited:
Do you ever use yours for searing meat?
TBH, I don't do that anymore. I still fry bacon sometimes and I guess that's pretty similar. They don't seem to mind.
caramelizing butter and sugar on quite high heat.
I would think the butter would smoke long before you reach the 450º mark.

Those Rock pans are pretty good. They're not the end all but they are leaps and bounds ahead the teflon and ceramics for maintaining their non-stick, even when abused. I like the fact you can use metal utensils in them. I was never keen on using plastic flippers.

Last edited:
Yes! Can dairy products be freely imported into USA???

Yes, ignore the folklore 60 days of aging is all that is required. So only the fresh raw milk products are not imported if pasteurized anything goes. If you look carefully many traditional products have been banned even in the EU. Casu Marzu of course but cheeses traditionally wrapped in leaves are now on the list.

Butterball Turkey Hotline:

Turkey Trouble? At Butterball, Operators Are Still Standing By - The New York Times

Their version of comedy gold often centers on thawing, the most common topic among callers. People ask if they can thaw a turkey in the dishwasher, under an electric blanket or in the backyard pool. One man threw a wrapped turkey in the bath water with his two children.
Here’s a classic: A man called in, worried about whether his bird would thaw in time. “What state is your turkey in?” the expert asked, trying to do a little culinary detective work. “Florida,” he answered.

I haven't bought a frozen turkey in decades. Fresh is the only way to go.

And BTW, turkey is delicious. Someone needs to start one of those marketing campaigns, "Turkey isn't just for the holidays." A single turkey breast or leg quarter doesn't take forever to cook and makes a nice meal for several people. Why does chicken get all the love?