The F6 Revisited

Building the jfet version. I am getting high voltage to the led bank closest to the V+ terminal. just flicking the power switch I see 13 plus volts and climbing. It appears my Irfp150 is fine and r7 is 3.3k ohms. Any ideas?

Update, I had that bank of LEDs in backwards. It will bias properly but I still have 23 volts going to the single led power indicator now

Last edited:
It will bias properly but I still have 23 volts going to the single led power indicator now
I don’t think I understand or see if you have a question.

1713117585492.png

V+ should be about 23V, and it should be connected to R13 which limits the current to LED7. If LED7 is oriented properly it will light up. If not, flip it or replace it if it is already correctly oriented (anode connected to R13 and cathode connected to ground). If it is too bright, try R13=20K or higher.

Anode of LED7 is typically the long lead and cathode is the short lead. If in doubt, test it using a DMM or transistor tester.

LED7 serves no purpose in the circuitry other than being an indicator light.

Best,
Anand.

Thank you, I rushed my post, I went through the schematics like you posted. My problem was that I installed the one bank of LED's reverse polarity. Then due to my lack of basic understanding of electronics I was confused that I was getting 23v on either side of R13. once I installed LED7 it shows 1.7 volts after R13. Off to cook and set final bias and dc offset

Reactions: 1 user
I originally installed a F6 clone board I bought off Canuckaudio mart in this repurposed chassis. From day one the single antek transformer I used had an audible hum in the speakers and at the actually transformer itself. I tried changing out the bridge rectifiers and the cap banks trying to fix the problem. I then traded out the single antek for dual smaller triads. I tried a different grounding scheme, and still it hummed. I thought I would try the these reworked F6 boards to see if that helped anything and it still hummed. So redid the power cord and switch, basically removing the front factory switch and just using a switch on the rear. So far the hum is completely gone. I have limited understanding and try to look at pictures people post in these threads to help with my builds.

Attachments

• IMG_20240414_123423479_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240414_123423479_HDR.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20240414_123446580_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240414_123446580_HDR.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 87
I've built the F6 and like it. A few questions which have probably been asked previously.

Is there an upgrade/mod to take the power output up to closer to 50 watts RMS?

The input gain or sensitivity is intentionally very low, not sure why, perhaps to keep noise low, but- is there a means of increasing it so I need not run a pre-amp volume in the 12 to 3 range when driving the amp?

What's the best means of running LED's through the faceplate so its easy to know when the amp is on/off? Can I for instance take the two red LED's on the boards inside the amp and run them on extended lengths of wire and use them for this purpose or is there a better means of accomplishing this? I need not have two "power" leds through the front face and one would work fine but it also wouldn't be an issue if there were two.

What other upgrades have been used successfully to beef up output etc. Larger Toroidal transformer (mines the 400v one), different output devices, different power supply, mines the 24v one etc. ?

thanks much !

The F6 was originally introduced at the Burning Amp Festival of 2012. Nelson does a better job of explaining the design decisions than I. Suffice to say that the input gain of 15dB is a choice based on the amount of feedback used to achieve his goals for distortion and output impedance.

The F6 has evolved since 2012. The original output devices are no longer available. It became common to use readily available IRFP240. I chose to use the FQH44N10 when I built my first one. Since that part has also become difficult to find, I have switched to recommending the IXTQ75N10P, and am also investigating the IXTQ36N30P. The higher transconductance devices sound great, and deliver a lively sound when running at higher bias current. Try 1.5A up to 1.6A.

The F6 does well into speakers of lower impedance, increasing its power output somewhat more than other First Watt 25W class amps. The simplest way to get a little more power out of this amp is to increase the rail voltage by using a power transformer with higher voltage secondary windings. Try one with 20V.

Thanks for the info! So I can and will order four of the IXTQ36N30P. from mouser and replace what I have there now - I think they are IRFP240 as I built this in either 2019 or 2020.

Do you have any specific advice on the part number for an upgraded transformer with higher voltage secondary windings of 20V ? I'd order this at the same time.

Thanks much!

Meant to ask about best/simplest way to add power on indicator LED (one or two) to the front face plate. Can I extend wires from the two red LEDs that are on the boards currently and sink the LED's thru the faceplate, running leads from them back to the board mounting points where they're currently hard wired? Or is there a better solution?

thanks

Sure, run wires for the power on indicator LEDs from the PCB up to the front panel.

The Antek parts would be AS-3220 or AS-4220.
The new PCBs have extra V+, V- and GND connection points. These are intended to support motor run capacitors on each channel. Look for CBB60, 250V around 50 uF or higher.