The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Just as I've managed to get all the parts I need to build my M2x, my circumstances have somewhat changed. We're moving to a new house and SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) has expressed a very strong desire for a wireless sound system throughout :( So I now find myself heading in the direction of needing a really nice headphone amp so I can retire into my own little musical world without disturbing anyone else.

Gary

I'm getting to where I cringe every time I see the acronym SWMBO.

I'm still married to my 1rst wife and do understand that compromises are needed.
As does she.

However, SWIBO (she who is being obeyed) getting a whole house wireless system and you a corner with a set of headphones is not only inequitable, it's demeaning.

to batty #1624

Good Morning batty,

my M2X drives my 2-way Loudspeakers (4 Ohm) with a sensitivity of ca. 91dB / 1W/1m with ease to very loud levels.
If I use my BA-3 Preamp (pretty high gain) I seldom go over 1/4 - 1/2 turn of
the volumeknob.
Most of my sources put out around 2V.
I was surprised how powerful it is.

Greets
Dirk

I'm building the M2X and have a problem. After stuffing and soldering both amplifier boards I tested for proper voltage at the secondaries, diode boards, and the PSU output blocks. No problems found. I then wired and connected the left channel board. I tested with the dim bulb tester first. The bulb lit and dimmed quickly. I took that to mean no shorts. I then removed the tester and started to set offset. I used a shorting plug but no dummy load tester as I don't have that. After a few minutes I saw smoke coming from the board in the Q2 area. I shut down immediately. The resistor at R14 looked a little smudged. I put my finger on it and it was too hot to keep there.

I've confirmed that the output devices at Q1 and Q2 are installed correctly. I confirmed that I installed the resistors in the right locations. They all measure OK except for R12, which is a 100 ohm resistor measuring 83 ohms. I've confirmed that the Keratherm is OK - no tears, holes or anything that might impede full contact with the heatsink. I powered up again, same result except I think I saw smoke coming from Q7 but I'm not sure because I shut it down really quickly. I removed the board from the heatsink and looked for anything that might help to locate the problem. I didn't see anything obvious. I did confirm that the optoisolator at Q5 was installed with Pin 1 in the right place. Same for the Edcor signal transformer.

I decided to test the right channel. I disconnected the left channel. No smoke or bad smell so I guess whatever I did wrong on the other board wasn't repeated on this one, although there's problems there too. Offset fluctuates from 0.00 to about 3.0. Very low audio output and badly distorted. I'm going to concentrate on the first board for now. Any thoughts on what could be causing the behavior I described? I won't be surprised if some parts will have to be replaced. R14 looks pretty bad.

Thanks,

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    987.4 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    904.6 KB · Views: 532

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
They are 30A diodes with about an amp being drawn through them, it's not going to be an issue with no heatsink. In fact, fast diodes get slightly better (less voltage drop) as they get hotter (up to about 125C) In my tests with these diodes they run about 75C in free air.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
garyalex, the last guy who reported burned up 0.47 ohm resistors, discovered the cause via a simple continuity check.

He unplugged his M2X from the mains, waited 10 minutes, disconnected the amplifier boards from the PSU. Then he used a digital multimeter to measure resistance between the MOSFET mounting bolt, and each of the MOSFET Drain, Gate, Source. If there's low resistance from the mounting bolt (a/k/a the heatsink) to any of D, G, S .... that's wrong. In his case, he had a small metallic burr on his heatsink which pierced the Keratherm insulating pad and shorted the MOSFET package to the heatsink. Ouch!! It kept doing this every time he replaced the MOSFETs, which he did more than once. Ouch!!

Hi Dirk,

Jim has graciously agreed to have a look at my amp boards. They're packed and will be shipped tomorrow. Rail voltages were good. Keratherm between MOSFETs and heatsink. As far as I could tell 4N35 has good contact and LM385 in the correct direction. Hopefully Jim will be able to sort this.

Thanks for the reply.

Gary