The diyAudio First Watt M2x

answer to MEPER #1378

Hello MEPER,

so you've got the 'red limited special edition - NORWOODs' with that little
extra warm sound.

I thought about it for a long time, that the colour of the soldermask will influence
the sound of an amp! :rolleyes:
So I have to search for NORWOOD-boards in class A- heat- red? :redhot:

Greets
Dirk

Yes, the only reason I buy expensive ($50 - $100 range) cables is that I like good connectors (also a power cord cable with screen can be good to suppress these nasty current spikes which can radiate noise if cable too close to other cables). Some of them also just looks good…….it also depends where "expensive" starts......Nordost Valhalla probably starts a bit higher than $100?

Now I have just signed up for an event in a "HiFi shop" in Copenhagen where Adam Shaw from Audioquest will tell and demonstrate that cables are not just "woodoo" so let us see if I have changed view after this event.

Should be a very interesting event. I love the marketing pitch for their Signature Series interconnects:

• SOLID PERFECT-SURFACE SILVER (PSS) CONDUCTORS
  • TRIPLE-BALANCED GEOMETRY (SEPARATE GROUND-REFERENCE CONDUCTOR)
  • FEP AIR-TUBE INSULATION (FEP IS A FLUORO-POLYMER)
  • CARBON-BASED 8-LAYER NOISE-DISSIPATION SYSTEM (NDS)
  • DIELECTRIC-BIAS SYSTEM WITH RADIO FREQUENCY TRAP
  • WEL-TYPE DOUBLE-CONTACT COLD-WELDED REUSABLE PLUGS, HANGING-SILVER PLATING DIRECTLY OVER MACHINED SOLID EXTREME-PURITY RED COPPER
I wonder how much better they sound compared to my Blue Jeans cables? Looking forward to your feedback after the event in Copenhagen.

I have heard that Adam Shaw is good as a "stand up artist". I look forward to it. The Audioquest "marketing slogans" are really "awful" to read. I have heard good thing about their headphones…...maybe a good one for Whammy as it is difficult to make headphones as "DIY"?
The screened power cord cable I got last time was from Supra Cables. Good quality at reasonable price…...but not as cheap as the Mouser cable.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, the only reason I buy expensive ($50 - $100 range) cables is that I like good connectors (also a power cord cable with screen can be good to suppress these nasty current spikes which can radiate noise if cable too close to other cables).

If a 1M cable can make any measurable difference in radiated noise of a PSU, RF or audio band, the PSU is in need of attention and proper engineering.

Some of them also just looks good…….it also depends where "expensive" starts......Nordost Valhalla probably starts a bit higher than $100?

Cables as jewelry? That's a perfectly valid reason. Some cables are very attractive.

If a 1M cable can make any measurable difference in radiated noise of a PSU, RF or audio band, the PSU is in need of attention and proper engineering.

Recent I had a "power cord cable experience" after building the BA3-pre. I had my ear as close to the tweeter as possible and in left I just heard a very silent white noise (no music was playing of course). Then in right tweeter I could hear a bit more noise and not just white noise but noise originating from 100 Hz rectifier circuit. I then noticed that an unshielded power cord cable from one of the PSU's was going along with the speaker cables. I moved the cable 30-40 cm away and then the 100 Hz noise was gone. After this experience I invested in a couple of shielded power cord cables…….and these cables also just looks good! ….and has very good connectors.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I am using this power cord on my M2x. It is 2 meters long and rated for 15 amperes (internal wires are AWG-14). The cord is fully shielded, and costs USD 12.28 at Mouser.com:

part number 686-17604

here is the data sheet (.pdf) with technical data and mechanical drawings

Paul McGowan of PS Audio has said (in a YouTube video I believe) that shielded cables shouldn’t be used for power amplifiers power cords as it might attenuate upper frequencies. Has anyone had any experience with this or can they explain how this may be? I know that cables can be a touchy subject, but I can say that I did have one experience where the cable from my airport express attenuated the treble. It was a “cheap cable” and I replaced it with a $20 cable from amazon and the treble was better. I’ve read that the capacitance of the cable can have this effect?

Even with shielded power cord cables my MoFo can still produce 100 kHz square waves into 4-8 ohm load. That is treble enough for me. As long as the capacitor bank at the DC side of the PSU are full loaded and ripple is in the mV area the amp is ok. Also class A amps with its constant bias current the music signal should not have any effect on the current draw from PSU?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Paul McGowan of PS Audio has said (in a YouTube video I believe) that shielded cables shouldn’t be used for power amplifiers power cords as it might attenuate upper frequencies.

A testable hypothesis!

Obtain two power cords, one shielded ($13 @ Mouser) and the other not. Listen with one power cord and then with the other. Do you hear any difference? If so, do you prefer one over the other?

Beware, if you hear no difference, it does not guarantee that another listener with a different amplifier, will also hear no difference. Maybe you've got a well-designed amp ahd he has a manure quality amp. Or vice versa.

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
A testable hypothesis!

Obtain two power cords, one shielded ($13 @ Mouser) and the other not. Listen with one power cord and then with the other. Do you hear any difference? If so, do you prefer one over the other?

Beware, if you hear no difference, it does not guarantee that another listener with a different amplifier, will also hear no difference. Maybe you've got a well-designed amp ahd he has a manure quality amp. Or vice versa.

Agreed, and the power of suggestion.

It will be their cables I am sure. I don't know about the equipment. Probably brands the HiFi shop has in their sortiment. The time is limited to a couple of hours so they run the show. If I can hear a difference I don't mind to buy a cable just to try it at home. I am not a "cable believer" but always open to learn something new.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
darrr, the recommended transformer for M2x has two secondaries, each 18VAC, rated for at least 8.5 amperes per secondary (i.e. 300 VA total). Since an 18V RMS sinewave has peaks of plus and minus 30 volts, I strongly recommend choosing rectifiers rated for 200 volts or higher. That gives a margin of safety. I also recommend choosing rectifiers rated for 10 amperes or higher, continuous DC current. That gives another margin of safety.

I happen to prefer the bridge rectifier package called "GBPC" because I find it easy to bolt to a chassis and easy to connect 1/4 inch "FastOn" connectors to its terminals. An example datasheet is attached.

Notice that these bridges are rated for 35 amperes (!!) which is comfortably higher than my recommendation of (10 amps or higher). Part numbers are available which guarantee 400V, 600V, 800V, or 1000V operation; again this is comfortably higher than my recommendation of (200V or higher).

_

Attachments

• bridge_datasheet.pdf
    411.7 KB · Views: 137