The diyAudio First Watt M2x

I saw some people using irfp9140 with the irfp240 mosfets for this amp.

Mouser is out of the 9240 and I have some 9140 on hand. Do I need to make any changes to the schematic if I use 9140?

thanks.
As of 16/07/2022, Farnell has some IRFP9240 in stock if convenient for you. Just found by "lucky" accident somehow, purchased some instead of waiting for Mouser. (Digikey also as per Octopart). If it helps...

Thanks 6L6! I'm looking forward to it being perfectly zeroed, but I didn't want to stop listening! The nuances which are different from the F6 are fascinating. The M2X was recommended in one of my other posts, where I was questioning which amp to build next after loving bi-amping the F6 and Aleph J driven by a B1K.

I need more time to compare; but my initial impressions consider that recommendation to be spot-on!

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Been listening to my M2x off and on for about a year, with the Mountain View IPS installed. I have the other DBs populated except for Norwood. I also have a unpopulated pair of Black Forest IPS.
What would be the suggested next IPS to try and why? Of course, the purist in me, thinks I should I try out the original Ishikawa. But what about the Austin or Tucson and what is it that moves them up the list?
If I swap the IPS boards, should I expect to adjust DC offset or are they truly plug and play?

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 150
  • overhead.jpg
    overhead.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Final_Left.jpg
    Final_Left.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Final_Protection.jpg
    Final_Protection.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Final_Right.jpg
    Final_Right.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Final_Back Panel.jpg
    Final_Back Panel.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: 1 user
I have all the IPS boards and all are great! Try the Ishikawa and if you are handy with electronics and know safety precautions when operating charge circuits, once it is installed in the amp, place a meter across R1 and R2 to monitor the potential then adjust RV1 so that the voltage drop is as close to equal as you can between the two. Listen for a month and see if you can convince yourself in building the other boards.
My favorites in order of enjoyment factor: Ishikawa, IPS7, IPS6, Norwood, Cedarburg.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'm friends with two DIYA members that have better ears than mine, and who both have built all eight M2x input cards. So each of them has a complete collection; they're not missing any information.

As it turns out, they happen to agree: both say that Norwood is their #1 favorite of them all. They also say it was a lot of fun to build and listen to the full set.

Me? I love all my children.

Reactions: 1 user
(M2)I built one, loved it so much I built a mono of it and it is my number one for some music and speakers and is in my top 5 of all I have ever heard. Norwood as well. I have to say though that my Yamaha B2s 4 in all, are the best I've heard in my chain. If you know how rare they are, all four are fully restored and living in my dedicated room and LAB in a biamped config. The lab is being driven, by a Yam C1 to MAY to B2s to Harbeths... with a sub for the lower end... Stunning, hard to get up to go to the dedicated room.

So what are my favs>?

Yam B2
M2
J2
Badger
Alpha Nirvana

No order on the list, but I built more than one of all of them and monos of all as well, cept the B2, which I went BI with... hey hey... don't judge. :)

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Thanks everyone for the responses (esp. Mark - the designer) - sounds like I will sub in Ishikawa until I can get all the parts in to make Norwood boards and then put Norwood in it's forever home.

---well, small problem, apparently the Renesas HA9P5002-5Z is out of stock everywhere, unless I want to buy 960 units from Avnet and they have no ship date. Is there a good substitute that you guys know of, or am I going to be enjoying Ishikawa for over a year to get parts for Norwood?

Last edited:
I loved the Ishy too, I have a tinnitus thing and with my chain, I perceived it more sibilant than with other options. Before you change you need to give the Ishy a chance, it was my fav until I tried other options. I also need to put it back in since I have changed my chain. One thing I have figured over the years it that there is no one best, either for the chain, or for the music played.... it's all up there, and it's up to each of us to find our own key. Hint: Sometimes that's just a mood or mood modified, so check what others have said, but listen for yourself; Too many people put stock in what others have said, but they don't have your two ears and brain.... Find your own bliss.

JT

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2011
Paid Member
The HA9P5002-9Z is the same chip but spec'd for an even wider range of operating temperatures. Octopart.com tells me it is in stock at Win Source. I check their site and, yes indeed, it is in stock. Minimum Order Quantity is 5 pieces so perhaps Norwood builders may want to arrange themselves a little Group Buy or a pooling of resources.

_

Attachments

• quote.png
    quote.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 73
I know the wiring looks out of control... I only had 16awg stranded laying around - so I ran 3 lengths for each power connection.

I've been listening to the dual-mono setup for about an hour now, and I'm surprised how much of a difference it made to an already fantastic amp. I'm looking forward to finding connectors and cabling to do this correctly. If anyone would like to share their experience doing so, that would be great; though I have seen a lot of posts while searching.

I'd especially like a recommendation for a good PS case. It seems a waste to use a 4U that could easily become a working amp.

Attachments

• tempImageq8lQ00.gif
    tempImageq8lQ00.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 148
  • tempImageLiahSD.gif
    tempImageLiahSD.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 153