The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I finally found a good place to store all the IPS daughter boards I've accumulated...

IPS Tree.jpg

Joined 2005
Paid Member
There are 7 daughter boards with one under development so a full set is 14 and soon 16. I have 20+ because I am making a second complete set for a Christmas gift M2X to my son. There are 13 on the tree because we had 13 hooks. Occam's razor.

Most builders are more than satisfied with the M2X--I certainly am. How often they swap daughter boards in and out has not been well-documented. Let's just say a DIYer can never have too many PCBs.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Audiobear

Here is what you do!!! Since you have you one of those Fancy Free Range Trees.
Wire all of the cards in “Series” to a “Canuder Valve” then do the ole Triple Lindy in Parallel to the Flux Capacitor........I bet it will play Jingle Bells

Nice work:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Oh, drat! I new I shouldn't have let the flux capacitor go! You have a spare you can loan me?

My M2X is in daily use and sounds brilliant, I have all the original DB's and a few others that X has done, but I have not tried any others yet apart from the Mountain View which I started out with based on a few recommendations around here. I am totally happy with the amp as it is now. But one day I will have to open the lid and try the other DB's.

Depending if you have male or female thread for the input board mounting bolts......what about just using either "finger screws" or "finger nuts" then no tools are needed for swapping. I guess the contact pressure should be good enough.
I have seen some use a kind of smart mini connector so it is just to pull out the card and push another card in.

M2X- switchable inputboards

Hello M2X-builders,

I made a plastic - board with mounting studs (same pattern as on the M2X-main-pcb) for 3 inputboards and added a 4-pole - switcher.
Works beautifully for more than one year now. But I only switch between the
input-boards if the amp is off. Not during operation.

Greets
Dirk :D

Attachments

• M2X switchable inputboards testing fit to frame.jpg
    M2X switchable inputboards testing fit to frame.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 401
  • M2X switchboard input.jpg
    M2X switchboard input.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 391
  • M2X test switchable inputboards.jpg
    M2X test switchable inputboards.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 393
I spend a few hours making my own "test bench" for M2X input boards. I used a spare M2X amp board and just soldered in the "front end" and PSU connectors. Instead of Edcor I placed a 1k load resistor. This also to be able to have an easy contact point for a probe. A real Edcor as load will of course be much more realistic. But just to check/adjust DC and a functional AC test I think it is ok. On picture a 10 kHz saw-tooth is the input signal from a cheap generator. Output shown on a TDS 210. I used a Tucson input board for testing the "test bench". The real purpose is for IPS#6 which will be next.....

Attachments

• DSC_0757_00001.jpg
    DSC_0757_00001.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC_0759_00001.jpg
    DSC_0759_00001.jpg
    784.1 KB · Views: 291