The best midrange driver (cost no option) for 3-way

I'm at a loss to your critique-

first explain why everything needs to be paired with a ribbon

and secondly what side firing subs have to do with waveguides or horns

thanks

Mainly because I already own 9 RAAL ribbons... So my question about the wave guides / horns is to try raise the SPL of the Accuton to match the high efficient ribbons without doubling up on drivers like I did with the 12MUs.

I didn't mention side firing subs.

Well it seems to loose detail if I add or subtract even a single dB through the active x-over. Looks like it is doing it digitally in the analogue domain since it is taking place after the DAC.

Attachments

• DCN28.jpg
    DCN28.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,065
Horn loading the accuton will not give you much gain in the upper part of its range, and you will still to attenuate your tweeters.

Regarding level attenuation of the tweeters, if you do not like digital volume control and you and do not have neither a level attenuator nor gain selector, you can still add an lpad in front of you amp (XLR pad), or after your amp (or better yet, an autoformer)

Well it seems to loose detail if I add or subtract even a single dB through the active x-over. Looks like it is doing it digitally in the analogue domain since it is taking place after the DAC.
I notice that they don't have any input sensitivity adjustment. It's not clear to me how they are optimizing the noise floor on the input side. Is the problem you perceive global or only with certain program material?

I notice that they don't have any input sensitivity adjustment. It's not clear to me how they are optimizing the noise floor on the input side. Is the problem you perceive global or only with certain program material?

Sorry if I misunderstand as my electronic knowledge is very poor... but there are two ways to attenuate the signal, one in the actual device and one in the software. I believe they are taking effect at different places in the circuitry, as the one in the device is apparently the more preferable.

Attachments

• 20140714_124707.jpg
    20140714_124707.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 921
  • Xover Wizard.jpg
    Xover Wizard.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 900
Yes, the one in the software, all you need to do with this is make sure that none of the combined filters for one channel exceed 0dBfs. In other words, if you apply any gain via a filter, such as a high Q network, a peak filter, or a shelving filter - say you apply 6dB of baffle step compensation - then you will need to attenuate the signal in software by 6dB to ensure that it will never clip. Besides doing this, you should never grossly attenuate the signal with the digital processing/software side of things. It's fine to fine tune, say +- 0.5dB, but no more.

Where you should alter the volume of the various channels is via the hardware volume control built into the unit.

This is a high quality 8 channel part with independent level and group level adjustment capabilities.

In other words if you have a 4 way active system, with 4 stereo pairs, then you can set it up so that...

1) Channel 1 and 2 +5dB.
2) Channel 3 and 4 -2dB.
3) Channel 5 and 6 -8dB.
4) Channel 7 and 8 +2 dB.

On top of this you have a master volume control that will adjust them all together by a fixed amount. So if you turn the volume down all channels will go down by the same amount and if you turn it up, all channels will go up by the same amount. This lets you use the DSP box as a preamp and if you aren't already using it as a pre amp then you should. What amplification do you use?

I don't know how the DSP box is configured, but that's how it should be used for the best sound quality.