The best midrange driver (cost no option) for 3-way

Face even against bg neo10? or neo8s..

I guess best bet will be to compare both side by side :)

The only problem that i can see with the neos with the 70-20xr is that poor vertical dispersion of the neo versus 12mu at like 2, 3khz. Since, from what I heard, the 70-20xr have decent to good vertical dispersion (some said it might be one of the reason why it sound more airy than other non dipole raal)

12mu seems pretty good for the raal for now and it's smaller than neo10 and better dispersion.. while resonance decay seems good on the 12mu the csd is incredible on the neo10 ... very similar to raals reading..

cross btw neo10 and usher might be more audible than cross btw 12mu and usher..
(wild guess since both paper cone)

some said a lot of other advantage to the neo10 that i don't really understand for now..like no inductance

Also gonna need two amp for both the raal and 12mu/neo10

anybody could recommend something?

I wonder if class-D t-amps would render them justice and if yes what is the cheapest one..

is cheap volume control on t-amp necessary and could it impact SQ?

what about 2 parasound zamp :) or emotiva? or vintage against T-amps ?

Actually i think i will go t-amps.. anybody can recommend one for 12mu/neo10 and for the raal :) for 85db listening mostly bi-amped and minidsp.

what about preamping the t-amp with tube preamp?

what about minidsp miniamp (pwm direct from dac(all digital signal path)

I wonder if class-D t-amps would render them justice and if yes what is the cheapest one..

is cheap volume control on t-amp necessary and could it impact SQ?

Don't worry about electronics distortions. Their numbers are insignificant compared to transducer distortions.

I recently did a small study here:
ClassD vs Gainclone amplifiers

I would say that there are no big steps up from something like the 12MU. As per Zaphs own measurements this driver is one of the best performing standard hifi quality mid-range drive units out there. Sure it has a small peak in the 2nd harmonic at an unfortunate frequency, but the rest of it is right on the money.

From the perspective of designing a near-field design though, having close driver to driver spacing would seem to pose a distinct advantage. Small height changes in the near-field will obviously result in larger changes in the path distance between the mid and tweet to your ears, then it would normally do in the far field, affecting the driver integration in a larger way.

I'd rather pick a smaller driver over a larger one and keep the crossover reasonably low and steep. In other words keep the midrange 5" or smaller, preferably smaller and 4th order acoustic filters would probably be better suited.

Compared to the 12MU if you want a stiff cone, you've got the usual suspects and the 5" ceramic accutons, the C90-6-079 for example.

HTGuide Forum - View Single Post - Ardent Speaker Camp

At the end of the day though the 12MU is an excellent driver and the implementation is also extremely important.

That's for this info 5th Element. I was starting to wonder if I had made the right choice in putting 2 x 12MU8731 in parallel with the Raal 140-15D AM.

While it isn't the ultimate combination, it doesn't appear to be a bad choice..

Also looking at doing some cheaper ribbons and 12MU4731 for the 4 rear channels.

Last edited:
That's for this info 5th Element. I was starting to wonder if I had made the right choice in putting 2 x 12MU8731 in parallel with the Raal 140-15D AM.

Also looking at doing some cheaper ribbons and 12MU4731 for the 4 rear channels.

We need picts and more info on this please...

Greg

Why do you say it isn't the ultimate combination? What do you think is the ultimate combination?
B&G mid? like neo10,8s? or other cone mids? or??

do you like the midrange of your setup? How does it blend with your raal? How is low volume listening? detail retrival, dynamics?

also at what crossing point did you put the raal? I even saw some people say that they like the raal better crossed at like 5khz instead of 2,3khz but i wonder if the 12mu is still good in the 2 to 5 khz range.

For the raal 70-20XR, if i look at distortion graph of a compadre, it seems 2.25khz is the sweet spot where distortion start to rise. So under this point, I wonder if it worth it but over 5khz very up high for a very pricey tweeter..

Last edited:
Why do you say it isn't the ultimate combination? What do you think is the ultimate combination?
B&G mid? like neo10,8s? or other cone mids? or??

do you like the midrange of your setup? How does it blend with your raal? How is low volume listening? detail retrival, dynamics?

also at what crossing point did you put the raal? I even saw some people say that they like the raal better crossed at like 5khz instead of 2,3khz but i wonder if the 12mu is still good in the 2 to 5 khz range.

For the raal 70-20XR, if i look at distortion graph of a compadre, it seems 2.25khz is the sweet spot where distortion start to rise. So under this point, I wonder if it worth it but over 5khz very up high for a very pricey tweeter..

Somehow missed answering this...
The only thing that stops it from being "ultimate" is the sheer physical size of the driver. It will go as low as 150Hz-300Hz but lacks the physical size to add oomph down to about 80Hz where I want to crossover to a big woofer.

Sound wise it is hard to fault but definitely needs the right woofer. I am still happy keeping my RAALs around the 2000-3000 mark. I did play with it at 1600 but probably a tad too much detail for me. I have also tried it at 4000-5000 for pure interest. For me it knocks out too much of the detail.

The 70-20 like the 70-10 are designed to be crossed over higher than the 140-15 which are the only ones with a LR4=1600Hz xover.

Money no object? I like the look of these Accutons and they look flat where it matters. The Madisound Speaker Store

The chassis design is insane, in a good way

Where do you figure it matters? I am looking for something that only needs to go to 2500-3000 tops then the RAAL ribbons kick in. Through the vocal range it dips to 87dB in spots.

I like the chassis design especially for OB, but it is just to low a sensitivity to be used with a highly sensitive ribbon, without attenuating the poo out of the ribbon.

These I think would be a better match The Madisound Speaker Store

Wow this new 5" accuton dome looks impressive for sure!
accuton® Carefully selected loudspeaker drivers.
Underhung 80mm VC with low fs and low mechanical resistance: looks like an ATC killer, with ~3db less sensitivity but usable an octave lower.
It has an undamped breakup at 9kHz, and the accompanying 3rd dist peak at 3kHz, so it's probably a good idea to cut it in the 2500-3000 range...

I have never really considered accuton drivers in the past, but that one looks really interesting.

Last edited: