The BA-3 as preamp build guide

I got matched JFETs from a trusted ebay dealer and I went for the Fairchild output transistors and because of that I went for 1k pots to adjust bias etc.
For JFETs maybe you can use the LS variants sold at DIY Store.....they sell matched pairs now. Only one set pr. order…….other may advise if you can use those…..

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Can you compare the SQ of K170/J74 V serries and BL serries (same B grade or not?)??? Which is better ones?

There is no difference in sound quality, one series in not "better" than the other. The suffix G, BL, V have to with the Idss range of the device.

V series has an Idss range of 10-20mA, BL has an Idss range of 6-12mA

The BA-3 should use BL Jfets for proper operation in the circuit.

No, other than it would probably sound better with a regulated supply instead of the F5's unregulated supply.

You could add a regulator off the F5's PSU but since the f5 PSU is 24V it would drop your BA-3 front end to 21V or so after regulation.

How about this as a temporary supply? It's currently powering my Pearl 2.

y4m7KszONST3dnAj-zaZZle8iPXPv57iyOHzKCnecWNbJ12qh0KoxSZr9i4uo1ustP_bvINW-tjhAw7DD8zJsFY_VBSORkO8_CfFM84Ce1A6E2HtyMnF5kZ3jFXk6ExX6wzoJU3zFyrO-ZSOkQhmgkYnsRk9jDF4-I5Y4BS058AarbKNm3okRGG9JepRDupA79v0x2ejBg-FUh5-mrVu-DrwA

No, other than it would probably sound better with a regulated supply instead of the F5's unregulated supply.

You could add a regulator off the F5's PSU but since the f5 PSU is 24V it would drop your BA-3 front end to 21V or so after regulation.

Well, I have a regulated supply on the way, along with a lot of other parts to build one of these. I plan to add it to the F5 case and see how that works. I originally had a DCB1 Mezmerize in there, so it has all the holes already.

Question - are these trimmers appropriate for the BA-3?

RJR26FW102M Bourns | Mouser

PV12T101A01B00 Bourns | Mouser

Also what's a good heatsink for the JFETs from the DIYaudio store?

Last edited: