The BA-3 as preamp build guide

What determines the size of the output decoupling capacitor?

I'm looking at building a "beefed up" BA-3 preamp with a cascode for the JFETs and current mirrors between the JFET stage and the MOSFETs.

The HPA-1 is similar and appears it uses 100uF at the output (whereas the BA-3 uses 10uF). What are the factors that feed into the choice of values here? (Disregarding cost, space, etc. I'm just trying to understand the electrical side of it.)

Thanks,
Jeff.

Finding it hard to source these Heatsinks, I know I can use alternatives, however I like the compactness of these. Does anyone have a link to purchase these? Thanks.

Attachments

• Heatsink.jpg
    Heatsink.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 522
Built my dual mono front end/pre and it sounds really good adding a little life into the chain.
Putting it between a passive volume control/source selector will give a flexible setup.

There is only one annoyance, it's adding hiss like an old tube preamp.
Based on others here, it should be dead quiet when input shorted and going into an F6 or M2 - here it is in neither.
The hiss is annoyingly loud at 1m from my 99db speakers. Not that much at the listening seat, but enough to kill the experience. My DCG3 pre does not make a sound in the same chain.

My build is standard parts after the BOM/schematics, board from the store and Fairchild mosfets with 1K pots in P1/P2. PSU is dual mono Salas SSLV1.3 shunts giving the BA3 front end dead on +-24V. Bias and offset seems fine.
Both channels produce exactly the same hiss.
Tried paralell 330ohms to R13 and 100ohms series to R5 after reading here, thinking it would be too much gain. That solved nothing.

Anyone clever? :)

Attachments

• 20181014_151053.jpg
    20181014_151053.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 519
  • 20181014_151112.jpg
    20181014_151112.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 481
  • P-BAGSN-1V20-schematic_2_.jpg
    P-BAGSN-1V20-schematic_2_.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 480
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I had the same dual mono BA3s and it added just a little hiss, because of having way too much gain. If I see this build and the modifications you tried, i think you do everything right.
Don´t know why there is so much hiss. Try the volume control in front of the BA3 and after the BA3?

Thank you for your answer WalterW.
I haven't tried the volume control after the BA3, only in front. I will try mixing it up a little!

Im thinking supressing the noise/hiss into a potentiometer would not remove it, just mask it until you turn the knob? But it makes sense if it's just gain related. How about impedances placing a pot between?

Others is saying it's dead silent in similar setups, so that kinda had me worrying.

I hope to mainly use this gain stage in front of the BA complementary when done, so hopefully this hiss I'm chasing will not matter.
:)

Just made a mess of one of my M2 blocks(easiest access), giving the pre a psu with enough capacitance to last a couple of tracks :p

I let it warm up a little and did proper adjustments.

But the hiss is still there.

Atleast now I know its not the inhouse power :)

Attachments

• 20181014_225427.jpg
    20181014_225427.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 421