The BA-3 as preamp build guide

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I appreciate your help. When using two DMM's, one connected on the off side and one of the on side, when I turn the switch to the on position, both DMMs show 0.1 or 0.2. When I turn it off, they show OL. That is what my drawing maps.

My drawing assumes current flows from one side to the other vertically.

A bit confused at this end.

If you have one meter connected to one side, that is a circuit on that side. So if current flows, then the current is flowing vertically from one meter probe to the other.

To lessen the confusion use only one meter.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Round Two

Testing the switch uninstalled, I got readings for the two horizontal connections, both OL with switch off, and 0.2 ohms with switch on.

With switch installed, I get OL reading across top of switch when off, and o.2 ohm with switch on. I get random readings from bottom connection with switch off or on. Is that because it is wired in?

Haven't tried the DBT yet.

Attachments

• top view.jpg
    top view.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 244
  • side view.png
    side view.png
    342.4 KB · Views: 238
  • other side view.png
    other side view.png
    489.3 KB · Views: 238
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Chip,

Based on the Data Sheet diagram of the switch and looking at your pictures, your wiring of the switch looks correct. See my mark-up showing the wiring as I see it on your pictures.

You said "Testing the switch uninstalled, I got readings for the two horizontal connections, both OL with switch off, and 0.2 ohms with switch on." If you had one probe on the top left and the other probe on the top right, then your readings do not seem possible based on the Data Sheet diagram of the switch.

As a check, place one meter probe on the top contact on one side of the switch, the other probe on the bottom contact on the same side of the switch. Measure the resistance with the switch On and Off. It should read Open with the switch Off and O Ohm with the switch On. Do the same on the other side of the switch.

Attachments

• Lorlin RNS 2.jpg
    Lorlin RNS 2.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 226
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A "closed" switch usually means the switch is in the "on" position.

An "open" switch usually means the switch is in the "off" position.

So for OL the switch should be in the "off" or "open" position and for zero or minimal resistance the switch should be in the "on" or "closed" position.

I assume that you measured OL with the switch "off" and 0.2 Ohm with the switch "on". If that is the case then the switch is as described in the Data Sheet.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
New Switch, Same Result

New switch, same problem

I ran the DBT test and got the same results: bulb dims and then brightens to steady on.

I started to take some AC readings, but I could smell something starting to cook, so turned it off.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Attachments

• top view 2.png
    top view 2.png
    814.3 KB · Views: 162
  • switch view.png
    switch view.png
    635.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IEC view.png
    IEC view.png
    652 KB · Views: 87
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What is connected? Everything, as in all boards and circuits? Or just the power supply?

I suggest testing in stages to isolate the problem.

1. Disconnect the transformer from the switch and test for AC at the switch output and test On and Off. If OK, then:

2. Connect the power supply only, test with DBT and voltmeter at DC out. If OK, then test with DBT removed and check voltage output. If Ok, then:

3. Connect preamp board, test with DBT.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Wait for ben to chime in.
In the meantime, check if you wired the toroid‘s primaries correctly:
Could it be that the primary 1 (red) gets the line treatment, and the primary 2 (black) gets the neutral treatment?

I never worked with dual primary-tranfos, but know that there are specific ways to hook them up depending on the voltage they receive (120V/240V)…

And again, apologies if I‘m nonsensing. It’s just that idea I had…

Could you smell where the smell came from?

Edit: he has already chimed in :)

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
What is connected? Everything, as in all boards and circuits? Or just the power supply?

I suggest testing in stages to isolate the problem.

1. Disconnect the transformer from the switch and test for AC at the switch output and test On and Off. If OK, then:

2. Connect the power supply only, test with DBT and voltmeter at DC out. If OK, then test with DBT removed and check voltage output. If Ok, then:

3. Connect preamp board, test with DBT.

Ben,

Thanks. I was testing thru to the transformer.

I will follow your steps and regroup.

thanks

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Wait for ben to chime in.
In the meantime, check if you wired the toroid‘s primaries correctly:
Could it be that the primary 1 (red) gets the line treatment, and the primary 2 (black) gets the neutral treatment?

Your observation is above my pay grade. Hopefully someone else can clarify for me. I attempted to duplicate the wiring I have seen in the forum.

I never worked with dual primary-tranfos, but know that there are specific ways to hook them up depending on the voltage they receive (120V/240V)…

And again, apologies if I‘m nonsensing. It’s just that idea I had…

Could you smell where the smell came from?

Smell may have been coming from switch.

Turned it off too quickly to confirm.

Edit: he has already chimed in :)

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Possibly, so connect the power supply (without preamp PCB) with DBT and check.

I am not familiar with the power supply but if you post clear focused pictures of it, I am sure someone that is familiar with it will look at it. Also include pictures of the overall setup so all wiring is visible for review.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ok boomer, go back and read the book

I think I've found my error.

See photos. I failed to install two jumpers which are required for the PSU to function.

So I will get them in and reinstall the board and test again.

Thanks for the help and I will update tomorrow.

Attachments

• Dual-bipolar LV-Reg.png
    Dual-bipolar LV-Reg.png
    741 KB · Views: 154
  • Missed the jumpers.png
    Missed the jumpers.png
    498 KB · Views: 147