Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_2691.jpg
    IMG_2691.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 1,172
Ernie,

I have been using EV DH1AMT drivers since 1992, they hold up great, and nothing i have tested or listened to has been any better for the parameters I find important.

The Celestion CDX14-3050 has less sensitivity than the DH1AMT due to the plastic surround, but may have a bit less distortion in the SynTripP HF pass band.

A friend gave me the CDX14-3050 16 ohm production sample (unavailable in less than an order of 96 drivers) which resulted in the unfortunate problem that getting a matched pair of the standard 8 ohm CDX14-3050 required me to purchase an extra 8 ohm diaphragm to replace the 16 ohm production sample.

My usual diaphragm replacement protocol starts with a thorough cleaning of the magnetic gap, but the CDX14-3050 gap has Ferro-Fluid (a ferrous metal impregnated oil that wicks heat from the coil to the magnet structure) in it.
The replacement diaphragm was not accompanied with any replacement Ferro-Fluid, removal of the 16 ohm diaphragm reduced the FF level (some came out on the voice coil), and to maintain the reduced FF level little cleaning could be done. Disgusting, like changing a car's motor oil and leaving in the old dirty oil filter.

FF affects damping and Fs (resonant frequency), I need to inquire the manufacturer as to how critical the FF volume is to the CDX14-3050 frequency response, and what removing the FF may do to frequency response and power handling. Power handling is not my primary concern, as HF drivers generally distort so badly at a fraction of their rated power that I won't use them near that level.

"Classic" HF drivers do not use FF, if operated in clean air (no floating ferrous metal particulate) they will last almost forever. FF, like any oil, will be contaminated by airborne debris and eventually "go bad".

The 8 ohm replacement diaphragm does seem to be a bit smoother than the 16, but either it is reversed polarity from the 16, or (more likely) I installed it backwards.

After completion of the second SynTripP I'll find out which is the case.
Tests, tests, tests...

Art
hello, sir Art Can i make some adjustments on syntripp's throat? I have a CD that measure only 1"
instead of 1.4"

Michachia,

Reduction of the throat to 1" would require extending the horn depth, depending on the driver there may not be enough room between the horn and the back to fit without also extending the cabinet depth. Alternately, the horn angles could all be adjusted slightly to make the horn/driver fit the cabinet depth.
The 1" driver will also need to have good response to below 700 Hz, as the 10" roll off steeply above that frequency. A 1" HF driver output will probably not be able to equal the 2x10" at the acoustical crossover, limiting the output by 3-6 dB.

Art

Thank you!

Mr. Speakers, you a god among men. Thanks to you and the entire SynTripP community from this thread, not least of which the Godfather himself, Mr. Art Welter.

Bravo. We salute you.

Hey folks, at LONG last, here's the solidworks 2018 model for the 3D printed interior and the laser-cut exterior parts. We're not able to support this with BOMs etc right now, but if you have SW and a large printer, this may be worth a look.

Dropbox - SYNTRIPP.rar - Simplify your life

Thanks for sharing! I see that the horn half can fit my printer, but I do not think my printing skills are good enough to run this print. But maybe one day...:)

Our printer needed mods to pull off such a big print. We had to fiddle the firmware a bit to allow the part to overhand the printer bed, and getting the right filament mattered. We used a carbon fiber loaded material that could withstand high heat so it wouldn’t deform in a truck in the desert, for example. Not trivial... and it literally took a month to print all the parts, so plan ahead!

If anyone is looking for a stupid amazing bass cabinet to pair this with, GSG Audio Devastator can be built with a 19Hz or 30Hz 21" LaVoce or the new Eminence 21" tour grade and get up to 122dB at 20Hz with the LaVoce or 133dB peak with the Eminince in the 30Hz bin. They sound really remarkable, these suckers move massive amounts of air. Of course they also weigh 260+ lbs when built...

They sell the cabinet flat packs at a really reasonable price, and their new version is birch ply vs MDF in the original. This is the biggest sounding single bin I've experienced, and it's clean. The eminence can handle amazing levels of power, too.

Haven't had the chance to look at the files, but when you say large printer what build volume is required? I have three "large format" 3D printers. One hbot at 400x400x400mm. Two CoreXY's at 300x300x350 and 300x300x330mm. Are you using a carbon fiber pc type filament? Brand? 5kg spools required?